RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: Does everyone treat their water on the JMT?

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2008
      I've read a few people's comments on it where they adapted it to a Platypus
      bladder too, whoch I like. I am envious of Half Dome - I did it last June -
      we wore rock climbing shoes for the cable section, made a big difference,
      cheers - Barbara

      _____

      Message 2 of 13 , May 6, 2008
        Lighter weight options to pump filter systems are the Steri Pen Adventure model, or Aqua
        Mira Drops. Use a piece of no-seum netting to filter out visible "floaties". To get water
        out of a small source use a pliable plate like the Orikaso models or others and pour the
        water into a cooking pot until you have enough to filter with your pump. Using a gravity
        filter as found at ULA Equipment gives you another pliable bag. Gravity pulls the water
        through the filter instead of a pump.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian" <barbara@...> wrote:

        > Hi Kevin - The Miox looks interesting. How do you deal with getting water
        > from a very small source, where a filter hose can suck it up but it's not
        > enough to get into a bottle? Also how do you deal with water that looks
        > rather grubby! Thanks, Barbara (currently using a Sweetwater filter at
        > 11oz, and wanting to go lighter).
        >
        > _____

      • Barbara Karagosian
        Message 3 of 13 , May 6, 2008
          Thank you for the ideas! B

          _____

          Lighter weight options to pump filter systems are the Steri Pen Adventure
          model, or Aqua
          Mira Drops. Use a piece of no-seum netting to filter out visible "floaties".
          To get water
          out of a small source use a pliable plate like the Orikaso models or others
          and pour the
          water into a cooking pot until you have enough to filter with your pump.
          Using a gravity
          filter as found at ULA Equipment gives you another pliable bag. Gravity
          pulls the water
          through the filter instead of a pump.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
          yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian" <barbara@...> wrote:

          > Hi Kevin - The Miox looks interesting. How do you deal with getting water
          > from a very small source, where a filter hose can suck it up but it's not
          > enough to get into a bottle? Also how do you deal with water that looks
          > rather grubby! Thanks, Barbara (currently using a Sweetwater filter at
          > 11oz, and wanting to go lighter).
          >
          > _____
          >
          > From: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
          yahoogroups.com [mailto:johnmuirtrail@
          > We always filter water with the MSR pump. Why take a
          > chance? But we have met people who drink out of the
          > streams, and they feel confident about their decision.
          > Having crossed a stream where we saw horses peeing in
          > it (and you know they pee about a gallon!) we were
          > really convinced to filter.
          > Claire
          > --- Kevin Aston <kevin@kevinaston. <mailto:kevin%40kevinaston.com> com>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > I use a Miox
          > > http://www.miox <http://www.miox
          <http://www.miox.com/products/category/C12/> com/products/category/C12/>
          > com/products/category/C12/ My Hiking
          > > buddy uses a pump. I like the Miox as it is 10 times
          > > faster to get the
          > > water, and its lighter. I'm not willing to take the
          > > chance that it
          > > will be me that gets sick or my friend.
          > > Happy planning
          > > Kevin Aston
          > > www.kevinaston.com
          > >

          > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
          > yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra
          > > <no_reply@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I just drink it, alwys have. I do use a bit of
          > > care trying to drink
          > > > upstream of the trail, etc. Testing has found
          > > very little giardia in
          > > > the Sierra. the only time anybody I know had
          > > trouble was in the S.
          > > > Fork Kern in the Fall. My friend got it I didn't.
          > >

          > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
          > yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis"

          > > water or are the
          > > creeks
          > > thru-hike and was
          > > their water.

          > Checked by AVG.
          > 1:29 PM

          Internal Virus Database is out of date.
          Checked by AVG.
          1:29 PM

        • Fred Sharples
          Message 4 of 13 , May 9, 2008
            I felt pretty confident not treating water. I was doing the JMT in early
            June so there were very few people out there. Pack animals were not out
            either.

            I got my water upstream from camp sites and crossings. I never had any
            problems.

            I did this because of I was solo and my pack weight was really important.
            Also I've camped in the Sierras all of my life. I grew up in the Sierras and
            have never known anyone up there to get Giardia or anything else that was
            clearly traceable to water. My belief is that people get sick from bad camp
            hygiene more often than water.

            I did bring Aquamira tablets just in case.

            On weekend trips I do bring a filter. I would probably bring one if I was
            travelling in a group as the weight issue is diminished and the chance for
            infection is a bit higher.

[...]

            <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> , "Barbara Karagosian"
            <barbara@...> wrote:

            > Hi Kevin - The Miox looks interesting. How do you deal with getting
            water
            > from a very small source, where a filter hose can suck it up but
            it's not
            > enough to get into a bottle? Also how do you deal with water that looks
            > rather grubby! Thanks, Barbara (currently using a Sweetwater filter at
            > 11oz, and wanting to go lighter).
            >
            > _____
            >
            > From: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
            > We always filter water with the MSR pump. Why take a
            > chance? But we have met people who drink out of the
            > streams, and they feel confident about their decision.
            > Having crossed a stream where we saw horses peeing in
            > it (and you know they pee about a gallon!) we were
            > really convinced to filter.
            > Claire
            > --- Kevin Aston <kevin@kevinaston. <mailto:kevin%40kevinaston.com> com>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > I use a Miox
            > > http://www.miox <http://www.miox.com/products/category/C12/>
            > com/products/category/C12/ My Hiking
            > > buddy uses a pump. I like the Miox as it is 10 times
            > > faster to get the
            > > water, and its lighter. I'm not willing to take the
            > > chance that it
            > > will be me that gets sick or my friend.
            > > Happy planning
            > > Kevin Aston
            > > www.kevinaston.com
            > >

            > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
            > yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra
            > > <no_reply@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I just drink it, alwys have. I do use a bit of
            > > care trying to drink
            > > > upstream of the trail, etc. Testing has found
            > > very little giardia in
            > > > the Sierra. the only time anybody I know had
            > > trouble was in the S.
            > > > Fork Kern in the Fall. My friend got it I didn't.
            > >

            > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
            > yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis"

            > > water or are the
            > > creeks
            > > thru-hike and was
            > > their water.

            > Checked by AVG.
            4/28/2008
            > 1:29 PM

          • hmdsierra
            Message 5 of 13 , May 9, 2008
              I use the same method, have for years. My friend got the wrath of the
              ameoba one time and that was on the S. Fork Kern in October. Very
              little water and what was available was very small and slow moving the
              first cuple of days. I was unaffected.