Mammoth Lakes Airport

  • J D Moore
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 9, 2012
      Hi all,

      I'm just trying to figure out how to get to Yosemite Valley for a southbound hike starting on the 8th July.  I'm flying from the UK.

      The popular option seems to be fly to San Francisco, catch the Amtrak train, then the YARTS bus to the valley.  However, has anyone ever flown into Mammoth Lakes airport before?  This looks like a good option to me because of the following reasons:

      1) Fairly close to both the start and end points with good public transport links
      2) Mammoth Lakes is at 7000ft so will help with acclimatization
      3) There's a post office for mailing resupplies and a gear shop
      4) Overall cost of travel from the UK to Mammoth Lakes actually works out about the same as flying to SFO then having to catch public transport

      The only thing putting me off flying to Mammoth at the moment is having to change plane twice (London and LAX) increasing the chance of my gear going missing somewhere enroute.

      Interested in hearing your views on this before I book my flight.

      David
    • John
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 9, 2012
        I live near Mammoth and I'm constantly in quandary why no one on this board seems to use the Mammoth Airport? I can't say that I've ever used it myself but I've picked up many a friend there. It seems like it would provide for the simplest logistics at both ends. Not to mention, if your lucky, you get to preview the JMT from 20,000 feet on the flight up from LA!

        JD
        www.johndittli.com

      • Madmxe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 9, 2012

          In a message dated 2/9/2012 7:33:53 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, johndittli@... writes:
          I live near Mammoth and I'm constantly in quandary why no one on this board seems to use the Mammoth Airport.

          And besides that it has to be the coolest airport I have ever seen!
        • wcgornto
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 9, 2012
            I am flying to / from Mammoth lakes for some of the same reasons this year. Logistically, it is much easier than the other options.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, J D Moore <jdm2104@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > I'm just trying to figure out how to get to Yosemite Valley for a southbound hike starting on the 8th July.  I'm flying from the UK.
            >
            > The popular option seems to be fly to San Francisco, catch the Amtrak train, then the YARTS bus to the valley.  However, has anyone ever flown into Mammoth Lakes airport before?  This looks like a good option to me because of the following reasons:
            >
            > 1) Fairly close to both the start and end points with good public transport links
            > 2) Mammoth Lakes is at 7000ft so will help with acclimatization
            >
            > 3) There's a post office for mailing resupplies and a gear shop
            > 4) Overall cost of travel from the UK to Mammoth Lakes actually works out about the same as flying to SFO then having to catch public transport
            >
            > The only thing putting me off flying to Mammoth at the moment is having to change plane twice (London and LAX) increasing the chance of my gear going missing somewhere enroute.
            >
            > Interested in hearing your views on this before I book my flight.
            >
            > David

          • charliepolecat
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 9, 2012
              From what I can see on Alaska Airlines, the round trip cost from LAX to Mammoth and back ranges from $182 plus $20 for the pack on 'Best Deal' rate, and $372 plus the pack for 'Full Flex' - whatever that means. There is only one flight a day.

              I should check to see what the total cost from SFA would be via BART, Amtrak and Yarts.
            • John
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 9, 2012
                Horizon Air also serves Mammoth.

                John

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 9, 2012
                  Interesting.  Last year we flew into Merced CA, took the YARTS bus into Yosemite Valley in the morning.  There are several YARTS buses going into Yosemite each morning from Merced, while from Mammoth to Yosemite Valley only one per day (I think).

                  Never thought about the Mammoth Airport option.
                  Visit Roleigh's Google Profile
                • J D Moore
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 9, 2012
                  Thanks for the replies so far, I think I'll book a flight to Mammoth.  I've attached a spreadsheet containing the 2 travel options I investigated in case anyone is interested.  The prices in the spreadsheet may not be accurate as I have taken them from the web at different times over the last few weeks.

                  Regards,

                  David
                • Randy
                  Message 9 of 17 , Feb 9, 2012
                    David, I flew into Mammoth Lakes last year when I did the JMT. It was super convenient. I stayed at the Shiloh since the YARTS bus that takes you to Yosemite picks up right outside the hotel. There are other hotel choices close by as well. There were good restaurants and a gear outfitter within walking distance of the hotel (I picked up my fuel there). Higher elevation for acclimating, easy bus trip to Yosemite, good food, no worries!

                    I entered on the West side of the Sierra the year before (flew into Fresno). My future trips will be Mammoth. I much preferred it over the West entry...

                    Randy

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, J D Moore <jdm2104@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for the replies so far, I think I'll book a flight to Mammoth.  I've attached a spreadsheet containing the 2 travel options I investigated in case anyone is interested.  The prices in the spreadsheet may not be accurate as I have taken them from the web at different times over the last few weeks.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > David

                  • John
                    Message 10 of 17 , Feb 9, 2012
                      The only glitch, unless it has changed; the NoBo bus from Lone Pine arrives in Bishop to late to get a conector to Mammoth, requiring an over night stay in Bishop or alternative transportation.

                      JD
                      www.johndittli.com
                    • wcgornto
                      Message 11 of 17 , Feb 10, 2012
                        Horizon Air is Alaska Air. Not a different airline, not a separate flight. Horizon flies short range turbo props while the main Alaska Air flies longer range 737s with more seats.

                        Since it is an Alaska Air flight all the way for me from Anchorage, it is very convenient to me.

                        Message 12 of 17 , Feb 10, 2012
                          oops, ya, seen both those logos on the runway when I drive by.

                          It's UNITED I believe that also serves Mammoth!

                          John

                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "wcgornto" <wcgornto@...> wrote:

                          > Horizon Air is Alaska Air. Not a different airline, not a separate flight. Horizon flies short range turbo props while the main Alaska Air flies longer range 737s with more seats.
                          >
                          > Since it is an Alaska Air flight all the way for me from Anchorage, it is very convenient to me.

                        • robert shattuck
                          Message 13 of 17 , Feb 10, 2012

                            "I stayed at the Shiloh since the YARTS bus that takes you to Yosemite picks up right outside the hotel"

                            While the Shiloh is right there, where both bus connections are made, it is twice as expensive, as just walking across the street––where there are about six or more ho/motels that run up the main drag. I think I asked at the Shiloh once and the base was about $140 . . . whereas, across the street they're all about $70 . . .

                            BOB

                          • Randy
                            Message 14 of 17 , Feb 10, 2012
                              Yep. Since I had never been to Mammoth Lakes before, I was worried that someone's "just down the street" could be an hour walk. There are certainly cheaper alternatives with less than a 5 minute walk...

                              > "I stayed at the Shiloh since the YARTS bus that takes you to Yosemite picks up right outside the hotel"
                              > While the Shiloh is right there, where both bus connections are made, it is twice as expensive, as just walking across the street––where there are about six or more ho/motels that run up the main drag. I think I asked at the Shiloh once and the base was about $140 . . . whereas, across the street they're all about $70 . . .
                              > BOBhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480

                            • wcgornto
                              Message 15 of 17 , Feb 10, 2012
                                Only Horizon / Alaska during the summer.

                                Message 16 of 17 , Feb 10, 2012
                                  Shows ya what I know.... I'll just stick to the backcountry stuff....

                                  JD
                                  www.johndittli.com

                                  Message 17 of 17 , Feb 10, 2012
                                    The flights to Mammoth are targeted to the skiers. Us hikers only get the crumbs.