Re: Does everyone treat their water on the JMT?

  • Kevin Aston
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2008
      I have only had a couple of times that the water source was difficult
      to get water from, but to use the Miox you fill your bottle with water
      and then add the processed salt solution to it. You shake it up,let a
      little leak out the lid to purify the container, and 30 minutes later
      your set. I had one source last year that was pretty bad, it didn't
      taste to good, but it kept me hydrated. I replaced the water when I
      came on a better place. My hike buddy, Tom Busby, has a pump. I often
      do his water, he sometimes does mine. The good things about the Miox
      is the light weight and the speed of getting water, the down side is
      it runs on batteries, but you get about 200 liters per new set. I made
      the mistake on my first trip and used the original batteries, and they
      lasted about 10 liters. You also need to pack some rock salt. A couple
      ounces is what I take and I send a little in my resupply, along with
      set or two of batteries. Always had more salt than I needed.
      Good luck
      Kevin Aston
      www.kevinaston.com

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian"

      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2008
        Thanks Kevin - now I'm thinking about the new MSR Hyperflow filter....

        _____

        <barbara@...> wrote:

        > Hi Kevin - The Miox looks interesting. How do you deal with getting
        water
        > from a very small source, where a filter hose can suck it up but
        it's not
        > enough to get into a bottle? Also how do you deal with water that looks
        > rather grubby! Thanks, Barbara (currently using a Sweetwater filter at
        > 11oz, and wanting to go lighter).
        >
        > _____
        >
        > From: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com
        > We always filter water with the MSR pump. Why take a
        > chance? But we have met people who drink out of the
        > streams, and they feel confident about their decision.
        > Having crossed a stream where we saw horses peeing in
        > it (and you know they pee about a gallon!) we were
        > really convinced to filter.
        > Claire
        > --- Kevin Aston <kevin@kevinaston. <mailto:kevin%40kevinaston.com> com>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > I use a Miox
        > > http://www.miox <http://www.miox
        <http://www.miox.com/products/category/C12/> com/products/category/C12/>
        > com/products/category/C12/ My Hiking
        > > buddy uses a pump. I like the Miox as it is 10 times
        > > faster to get the
        > > water, and its lighter. I'm not willing to take the
        > > chance that it
        > > will be me that gets sick or my friend.
        > > Happy planning
        > > Kevin Aston
        > > www.kevinaston.com
        > >

        > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
        > yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra
        > > <no_reply@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I just drink it, alwys have. I do use a bit of
        > > care trying to drink
        > > > upstream of the trail, etc. Testing has found
        > > very little giardia in
        > > > the Sierra. the only time anybody I know had
        > > trouble was in the S.
        > > > Fork Kern in the Fall. My friend got it I didn't.
        > >

        > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
        > yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis"

        > > water or are the
        > > creeks
        > > thru-hike and was
        > > their water.

        > Checked by AVG.
        4/28/2008
        > 1:29 PM

        Checked by AVG.
        1:29 PM

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2008
          I bought the MSR Hyperflow and am looking forward to putting it into use. It is the size of a small bike pump and looks well designed. The specs have it a approximately 3 liters per minute and the reviews that I've read have been very positive. I think the Hyperflow is just under 8 ounces, but I'm not sure if that includes the bottle adapter, tubes, and carrying pouch. I will weigh it in the near future. Also, they recommend that you back flush the filter after approximately 8 liters filtered (essentially daily). This involved reversing two check valves. Doesn't look too difficult. I will report back in late May after I hike Half Dome.

          <barbara@... > wrote:

          > Hi Kevin - The Miox looks interesting. How do you deal with getting
          water
          > from a very small source, where a filter hose can suck it up but
          it's not
          > enough to get into a bottle? Also how do you deal with water that looks
          > rather grubby! Thanks, Barbara (currently using a Sweetwater filter at
          > 11oz, and wanting to go lighter).
          >
          > _____
          >
          > From: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com>
          yahoogroups. com
          > We always filter water with the MSR pump. Why take a
          > chance? But we have met people who drink out of the
          > streams, and they feel confident about their decision.
          > Having crossed a stream where we saw horses peeing in
          > it (and you know they pee about a gallon!) we were
          > really convinced to filter.
          > Claire
          > --- Kevin Aston <kevin@kevinaston. <mailto:kevin% 40kevinaston. com> com>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > I use a Miox
          > > http://www.miox <http://www.miox
          <http://www.miox com/products/ category/ C12/> com/products/ category/ C12/>
          > com/products/ category/ C12/ My Hiking
          > > buddy uses a pump. I like the Miox as it is 10 times
          > > faster to get the
          > > water, and its lighter. I'm not willing to take the
          > > chance that it
          > > will be me that gets sick or my friend.
          > > Happy planning
          > > Kevin Aston
          > > www.kevinaston. com
          > >

          > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com>
          > yahoogroups. com, hmdsierra
          > > <no_reply@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I just drink it, alwys have. I do use a bit of
          > > care trying to drink
          > > > upstream of the trail, etc. Testing has found
          > > very little giardia in
          > > > the Sierra. the only time anybody I know had
          > > trouble was in the S.
          > > > Fork Kern in the Fall. My friend got it I didn't.
          > >

          > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com>
          > yahoogroups. com, "jim.ennis"

          > > water or are the
          > > creeks
          > > thru-hike and was
          > > their water.

          > Checked by AVG.
          4/28/2008
          > 1:29 PM

          Checked by AVG.
          1:29 PM

          <!--

          #ygrp-mkp{
          #ygrp-mkp hr{
          border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
          #ygrp-mkp #hd{
          #ygrp-mkp #ads{
          margin-bottom:10px;}
          #ygrp-mkp .ad{
          padding:0 0;}
          #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
          color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
          -->

          <!--

          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
          font-family:Arial;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
          margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
          -->

          <!--

          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
          #ygrp-text{
          font-family:Georgia;
          }
          #ygrp-text p{
          margin:0 0 1em 0;}
          #ygrp-tpmsgs{
          font-family:Arial;
          clear:both;}
          #ygrp-vitnav{
          #ygrp-vitnav a{
          padding:0 1px;}
          #ygrp-actbar{
          #ygrp-actbar .left{
          float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
          .bld{font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-grft{
          #ygrp-ft{
          padding:5px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
          padding-bottom:10px;}

          #ygrp-reco {
          margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}
          #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
          font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;}

          #reco-grpname{
          font-weight:bold;margin-top:10px;}
          #reco-category{
          font-size:77%;}
          #reco-desc{
          font-size:77%;}

          #ygrp-vital{
          #ygrp-vital #vithd{
          #ygrp-vital ul{
          padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
          #ygrp-vital ul li{
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
          #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
          font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-vital a{
          text-decoration:none;}

          #ygrp-vital a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;}

          #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
          color:#999;font-size:77%;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
          padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
          text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
          padding:8px 0;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
          text-decoration:none;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
          margin:0;}
          o{font-size:0;}
          .MsoNormal{
          margin:0 0 0 0;}
          #ygrp-text tt{
          font-size:120%;}
          blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
          .replbq{margin:4;}
          -->

        • Barbara Karagosian
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2008
            I've read a few people's comments on it where they adapted it to a Platypus
            bladder too, whoch I like. I am envious of Half Dome - I did it last June -
            we wore rock climbing shoes for the cable section, made a big difference,
            cheers - Barbara

            _____

            <barbara@... > wrote:

            > Hi Kevin - The Miox looks interesting. How do you deal with getting
            water
            > from a very small source, where a filter hose can suck it up but
            it's not
            > enough to get into a bottle? Also how do you deal with water that looks
            > rather grubby! Thanks, Barbara (currently using a Sweetwater filter at
            > 11oz, and wanting to go lighter).
            >
            > _____
            >
            > From: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com>
            yahoogroups. com
            > We always filter water with the MSR pump. Why take a
            > chance? But we have met people who drink out of the
            > streams, and they feel confident about their decision.
            > Having crossed a stream where we saw horses peeing in
            > it (and you know they pee about a gallon!) we were
            > really convinced to filter.
            > Claire
            > --- Kevin Aston <kevin@kevinaston. <mailto:kevin% 40kevinaston. com> com>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > I use a Miox
            > > http://www.miox <http://www.miox
            <http://www.miox com/products/ category/ C12/> com/products/ category/
            C12/>
            > com/products/ category/ C12/ My Hiking
            > > buddy uses a pump. I like the Miox as it is 10 times
            > > faster to get the
            > > water, and its lighter. I'm not willing to take the
            > > chance that it
            > > will be me that gets sick or my friend.
            > > Happy planning
            > > Kevin Aston
            > > www.kevinaston. com
            > >

            > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com>
            > yahoogroups. com, hmdsierra
            > > <no_reply@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I just drink it, alwys have. I do use a bit of
            > > care trying to drink
            > > > upstream of the trail, etc. Testing has found
            > > very little giardia in
            > > > the Sierra. the only time anybody I know had
            > > trouble was in the S.
            > > > Fork Kern in the Fall. My friend got it I didn't.
            > >

            > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com>
            > yahoogroups. com, "jim.ennis"

            > > water or are the
            > > creeks
            > > thru-hike and was
            > > their water.

            > Checked by AVG.
            4/28/2008
            > 1:29 PM

            Checked by AVG.
            1:29 PM

            <!--

            #ygrp-mkp{
            border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:14px 0px;padding:0px
            14px;}
            #ygrp-mkp hr{
            border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
            #ygrp-mkp #hd{
            0px;}
            #ygrp-mkp #ads{
            margin-bottom:10px;}
            #ygrp-mkp .ad{
            padding:0 0;}
            #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
            color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
            -->

            <!--

            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
            font-family:Arial;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
            margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
            -->

            <!--

            #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial, helvetica, clean,
            sans-serif;}
            #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial, helvetica, clean,
            sans-serif;}
[...]

            font-size:77%;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;color:#333;text-transform
            :uppercase;}
            #ygrp-vital ul{
            padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
            #ygrp-vital ul li{
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
            font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;float:right;width:2em;text-align:right;paddin
            g-right:.5em;}
            #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
            font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-vital a{
            text-decoration:none;}

            #ygrp-vital a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}

            #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
            color:#999;font-size:77%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
            padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
            text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
            padding:8px 0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
            font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;color:#628c2a;font-size:100%;line-height:
            122%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
            text-decoration:none;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
            margin:0;}
            o{font-size:0;}
            .MsoNormal{
            margin:0 0 0 0;}
            #ygrp-text tt{
            font-size:120%;}
            blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
            .replbq{margin:4;}
            -->

            Checked by AVG.
            1:29 PM

          • rambler4466
            Message 5 of 13 , May 6, 2008
              Lighter weight options to pump filter systems are the Steri Pen Adventure model, or Aqua
              Mira Drops. Use a piece of no-seum netting to filter out visible "floaties". To get water
              out of a small source use a pliable plate like the Orikaso models or others and pour the
              water into a cooking pot until you have enough to filter with your pump. Using a gravity
              filter as found at ULA Equipment gives you another pliable bag. Gravity pulls the water
              through the filter instead of a pump.

            • Barbara Karagosian
              Message 6 of 13 , May 6, 2008
                Thank you for the ideas! B

                _____

                Lighter weight options to pump filter systems are the Steri Pen Adventure
                model, or Aqua
                Mira Drops. Use a piece of no-seum netting to filter out visible "floaties".
                To get water
                out of a small source use a pliable plate like the Orikaso models or others
                and pour the
                water into a cooking pot until you have enough to filter with your pump.
                Using a gravity
                filter as found at ULA Equipment gives you another pliable bag. Gravity
                pulls the water
                through the filter instead of a pump.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian" <barbara@...> wrote:

                > Hi Kevin - The Miox looks interesting. How do you deal with getting water
                > from a very small source, where a filter hose can suck it up but it's not
                > enough to get into a bottle? Also how do you deal with water that looks
                > rather grubby! Thanks, Barbara (currently using a Sweetwater filter at
                > 11oz, and wanting to go lighter).
                >
                > _____
                >
                > From: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                yahoogroups.com [mailto:johnmuirtrail@
                > We always filter water with the MSR pump. Why take a
                > chance? But we have met people who drink out of the
                > streams, and they feel confident about their decision.
                > Having crossed a stream where we saw horses peeing in
                > it (and you know they pee about a gallon!) we were
                > really convinced to filter.
                > Claire
                > --- Kevin Aston <kevin@kevinaston. <mailto:kevin%40kevinaston.com> com>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > I use a Miox
                > > http://www.miox <http://www.miox
                <http://www.miox.com/products/category/C12/> com/products/category/C12/>
                > com/products/category/C12/ My Hiking
                > > buddy uses a pump. I like the Miox as it is 10 times
                > > faster to get the
                > > water, and its lighter. I'm not willing to take the
                > > chance that it
                > > will be me that gets sick or my friend.
                > > Happy planning
                > > Kevin Aston
                > > www.kevinaston.com
                > >

                > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                > yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra
                > > <no_reply@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I just drink it, alwys have. I do use a bit of
                > > care trying to drink
                > > > upstream of the trail, etc. Testing has found
                > > very little giardia in
                > > > the Sierra. the only time anybody I know had
                > > trouble was in the S.
                > > > Fork Kern in the Fall. My friend got it I didn't.
                > >

                > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                > yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis"

                > > water or are the
                > > creeks
                > > thru-hike and was
                > > their water.

                > Checked by AVG.
                > 1:29 PM

                Internal Virus Database is out of date.
                Checked by AVG.
                1:29 PM

              • Fred Sharples
                Message 7 of 13 , May 9, 2008
                  I felt pretty confident not treating water. I was doing the JMT in early
                  June so there were very few people out there. Pack animals were not out
                  either.

                  I got my water upstream from camp sites and crossings. I never had any
                  problems.

                  I did this because of I was solo and my pack weight was really important.
                  Also I've camped in the Sierras all of my life. I grew up in the Sierras and
                  have never known anyone up there to get Giardia or anything else that was
                  clearly traceable to water. My belief is that people get sick from bad camp
                  hygiene more often than water.

                  I did bring Aquamira tablets just in case.

                  On weekend trips I do bring a filter. I would probably bring one if I was
                  travelling in a group as the weight issue is diminished and the chance for
                  infection is a bit higher.

[...]

                  <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> , "Barbara Karagosian"
                  <barbara@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Kevin - The Miox looks interesting. How do you deal with getting
                  water
                  > from a very small source, where a filter hose can suck it up but
                  it's not
                  > enough to get into a bottle? Also how do you deal with water that looks
                  > rather grubby! Thanks, Barbara (currently using a Sweetwater filter at
                  > 11oz, and wanting to go lighter).
                  >
                  > _____
                  >
                  > From: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                  <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > We always filter water with the MSR pump. Why take a
                  > chance? But we have met people who drink out of the
                  > streams, and they feel confident about their decision.
                  > Having crossed a stream where we saw horses peeing in
                  > it (and you know they pee about a gallon!) we were
                  > really convinced to filter.
                  > Claire
                  > --- Kevin Aston <kevin@kevinaston. <mailto:kevin%40kevinaston.com> com>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > > I use a Miox
                  > > http://www.miox <http://www.miox.com/products/category/C12/>
                  > com/products/category/C12/ My Hiking
                  > > buddy uses a pump. I like the Miox as it is 10 times
                  > > faster to get the
                  > > water, and its lighter. I'm not willing to take the
                  > > chance that it
                  > > will be me that gets sick or my friend.
                  > > Happy planning
                  > > Kevin Aston
                  > > www.kevinaston.com
                  > >

                  > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra
                  > > <no_reply@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I just drink it, alwys have. I do use a bit of
                  > > care trying to drink
                  > > > upstream of the trail, etc. Testing has found
                  > > very little giardia in
                  > > > the Sierra. the only time anybody I know had
                  > > trouble was in the S.
                  > > > Fork Kern in the Fall. My friend got it I didn't.
                  > >

                  > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis"

                  > > water or are the
                  > > creeks
                  > > thru-hike and was
                  > > their water.

                  > Checked by AVG.
                  4/28/2008
                  > 1:29 PM

                • hmdsierra
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 9, 2008
                    I use the same method, have for years. My friend got the wrath of the
                    ameoba one time and that was on the S. Fork Kern in October. Very
                    little water and what was available was very small and slow moving the
                    first cuple of days. I was unaffected.