"Climate" considerations

  • ned@mountaineducation.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2012
      We consider climate and weather when planning/anticipating an up-and-coming thru hike attempt, but my experiences in 1974 shed a little light on another type of "climate" we might want to be aware of.

      At the start of my pct thru in '74, the U.S. was under internal social and political strains. I was too young (17) at the time to care much, but the news I saw when I emerged 5 and 1/2 months later taught me that the "world out there" continues on while you're hiking!

      "Nixon Resigns!" was the headline. Events happen and world leaders change while we're out enjoying ourselves far from contact.

      This year, in our world climate of unrest, much might happen! Just keep in mind that the world you left at the start of your hike may not be the one you find at the end, especially this summer!

      ...Just another side of long-distance hiking....

      "Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

      Ned Tibbits, Director
      Mountain Education
      South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150