Re: [John Muir Trail] Tom Harrison Maps

  • smyth555
    Message 1 of 46 , May 1, 2008
      Thomas: Thanks for the tip. I found a used 12th edition of the
      Starr's Guide cheap on Ebay. Looking forward to checking it out.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
      wrote:

      > Yes, it is shown as Blayney Meadows. This map is the best map to
      have to hang on the wall to show others about the JMT.

      > Patt gray <sntrekker@...> wrote:
      roleigh..hmmmmm....could it be that instead of Muir Trail Ranch the
      location is shown as Diamond D? ? ? It's name before the change to
      MTR....should show it at Blayney Meadows and across from Blayney
      Hot Ssprings... remember also that the Trail use to come down from
      S. Keyes west of its preset location....
      > Love the old maps!!! they're really fun to "rummage around "
      on....Patt

      > eigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
      > Thanks for the tip about the 12th ed., I have one of the
      editions and love the map insert in the back of the book -- only map
      that shows in poster size the JMT with all the side-highways. Too
      bad it is about 35 years old but not much has changed (Muir Trail
      Ranch is not shown on map but it's easy to figure out where it is).

      > thomas taylor wrote: I don't know about the Harrison JMT map set
      as I have
      > only used the sectional ones, but I would recommend to
      > you to get Starrs "Guide to the JMT and High Sierra.
      > It comes with a general overview map and, more
      > importantly, a detailed description of all side trips
      > and routes (which is called "laterals" and "knap sack
      > routes")that intersect the JMT. You can find the 12th
      > Edition in used bookstores. The 12th ed is small
      > (fits in your pocket) and bounded to last forever
      > while the newer editions contain the same information
      > but are bounded like paperback books which won't fit
      > in your pocket and will last about a day before
      > comming unglued.
      >
      > Thomas
      > --- smyth555 wrote:
      >
      > > I'm wondering if the Harrison JMT map set is
      > > adequate for potential
      > > side trips (i.e. resupplying at Cedar Grove in SEKI,
      > > etc.) and bailout
      > > routes (if needed) or would the Harrison High County
      > > Maps that cover a
      > > broader area be better? The JMT set seems like a
      > > fairly slim corridor
      > > from looking at the Harrison website. Any opinions
      > > from those that
      > > have used either on the trail would be helpful.
      > > Thanks.

    • berdomb
      Message 46 of 46 , Feb 9, 2014

        You can  tear off a corner of the bag your food is in, and squeeze it into your mouth pastry-bag style.

        Works better than a spoon anyway, and less mess.