Re: [John Muir Trail] Tom Harrison Maps

    Message 1 of 46 , Apr 30 9:03 PM
      Yes, it is shown as Blayney Meadows. This map is the best map to have to hang on the wall to show others about the JMT.

      Patt gray <sntrekker@...> wrote: roleigh..hmmmmm....could it be that instead of Muir Trail Ranch the location is shown as Diamond D? ? ? It's name before the change to MTR....should show it at Blayney Meadows and across from Blayney Hot Ssprings... remember also that the Trail use to come down from S. Keyes west of its preset location....
      Love the old maps!!! they're really fun to "rummage around " on....Patt

      eigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
      Thanks for the tip about the 12th ed., I have one of the editions and love the map insert in the back of the book -- only map that shows in poster size the JMT with all the side-highways. Too bad it is about 35 years old but not much has changed (Muir Trail Ranch is not shown on map but it's easy to figure out where it is).

      thomas taylor wrote: I don't know about the Harrison JMT map set as I have
      only used the sectional ones, but I would recommend to
      you to get Starrs "Guide to the JMT and High Sierra.
      It comes with a general overview map and, more
      importantly, a detailed description of all side trips
      and routes (which is called "laterals" and "knap sack
      routes")that intersect the JMT. You can find the 12th
      Edition in used bookstores. The 12th ed is small
      (fits in your pocket) and bounded to last forever
      while the newer editions contain the same information
      but are bounded like paperback books which won't fit
      in your pocket and will last about a day before
      comming unglued.

      Thomas
      --- smyth555 wrote:

      > I'm wondering if the Harrison JMT map set is
      > adequate for potential
      > side trips (i.e. resupplying at Cedar Grove in SEKI,
      > etc.) and bailout
      > routes (if needed) or would the Harrison High County
      > Maps that cover a
      > broader area be better? The JMT set seems like a
      > fairly slim corridor
      > from looking at the Harrison website. Any opinions
      > from those that
      > have used either on the trail would be helpful.
      > Thanks.

    • berdomb
      Message 46 of 46 , Feb 9, 2014

        You can  tear off a corner of the bag your food is in, and squeeze it into your mouth pastry-bag style.

        Works better than a spoon anyway, and less mess.