Re: [John Muir Trail] Chinese Microspikes knock-offs

  • ned@mountaineducation.org
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 6, 2012
      Roleigh,

      In our experience teaching snow skills over the length of the JMT/PCT in the months of May, June, and July since 1982, the KTS has become the best tool for providing a secure, safe footing for snow-hiking. It has the metal tabs that wrap up the sides of the boot, good strapping, and no dangerous forward spikes. These features, we feel, make this model very hiker-friendly, hiker-safe. We no longer use microspike-type devices in situations where we might encounter side-slope angles of 20 degrees or greater.

      Though we do not endorse the use of the KTS on anything other than boots for the snow conditions typically encountered on this trail during these months, we suppose that if the crampon fits the shoe, no matter what type of shoe it is, and its flexibility and design does not hinder the protection provided by the KTS (won't fall, twist, or roll off, etc.), there may be a sufficient level of secure safety (as opposed to a false security) for its application on that shoe.

      As always, go out onto the type of conditions expected and test out all your equipment to see if it meets your desired level of performance and provides sufficient security and safety for you.

      "Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

      Ned Tibbits, Director
      Mountain Education
      South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150