Re: [John Muir Trail] late season JMT

  • Jim White
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 5, 2012
      I've skied on 2' of snow at Minaret Summit the weekend after Labor Day. It can happen!

      It can snow any month of the year but the later it gets the slower it melts. Also roads to trailheads may take a little time to clear in September or early October. At some point a big storm will permanently close the trailhead road for the winter.

      Early season storms generally melt or settle pretty quickly. The ground isn't frozen yet so it melts from both top and bottom. Better than hiking through a blizzard is to get below tree line and wait it out. That means enough food to let you hunker down for a couple days. Gear wise you should have decent shelter and technique. To hike in a foot or so of slippery residual snow you need warm footwear and hiking poles.  Gaiters are a very good idea!  If you are wearing light, low, or non-waterproof footwear having some waterproof socks, (vapor barrier, Sealskinz, plastic bags, etc.) will keep your feet from freezing while hiking in slush.

      All that said, early September is close to perfect on the JMT.

      Jim

      On Jan 23, 2012, at 8:30 AM, "jtrolka" <jeff@...> wrote:

      Hey all, I saw a post earlier regarding how early one can go on the JMT in the year, and I'm wondering how late it's possible to go. I'm thinking about the last week of August, first of September time frame. Possibly going a little further in to September, but not past the second week.

      Thought?