Re: Any suggestions for hiking nearby but not from Tuolumne Meadows to Whitney Portal -- what alternative TH would you recommend?

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2012
      Get a permit from Humbolt-Toiyabe from Virginia Lakes Trailhead near Bridgeport, CA. I don't know how many miles a day he hikes, but the total miles starting from there and picking up the JMT at TM is almost identical to the miles you do on the JMT from Happy Isles to Whitney Portal, minus the crowds and Yosemite permit hassles! The hike from Glen Aulin to TM is very nice, but a bit sandy in parts. I will look into the mileage, but I believe it is in the 21 - 24 mile
      range. We did it in one night one year, but YMMV.

      Edit - The mileage for this route is 22.9 miles. elevation gain is, (significantly lower than the 6000' or so from HI to TM, is 3462', and the scenery is very nice.