Any suggestions for hiking nearby but not from Tuolumne Meadows to Whitney Portal -- what alternative TH would you recommend?

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2012
      Any suggestions for hiking nearby but not from Tuolumne Meadows to Whitney Portal -- what alternative TH would you recommend?

      You know we have a file library of alternative TH Start Options here:

      I have a friend who hiked with me last year on the JMT who wants to start at Tuolumne Meadows and then onto Whitney Portal but got turned down on his preferred start day.  Any ideas on other trailhead starts that put in the same number of miles and gets him on the JMT by at least day 5 or 6?  He's done the JMT all the way down to Lower Palidades Lake and doesn't care where he starts on the JMT just so that he can start nearby and ease into the altitude and not be totally on a trail without ever meeting any people for days on end.  Plus I know he'll want to be on a trail that is visible (not a bushwhack).  It's okay if for a day or two the trail is unpopular and hardly traveled.

      Thanks!
      Visit Roleigh's Google Profile
      _

    • brink_nathan
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2012
        Parker Pass is a nice jaunt and would be similar mileage. Been a while, but as I remember, it starts at the Mono Pass Trailhead and then goes over Parker Pass, Koip Pass (I hear there is a crashed plane up on top of Koip, but I didn't know that when I went over, still some really good views of Mono lake), goes by Algiers Lakes, over Gem Pass, by Gem Lake and meets up with the PCT at Summit Lake.

        It's a really pretty hike, took us two days to get to the PCT, and once we turned off the mono pass trail to go over Parker Pass we didn't see anyone the rest of the time.

        > Any suggestions for hiking nearby but not from Tuolumne Meadows to Whitney
        > Portal -- what alternative TH would you recommend?
        >
        > You know we have a file library of alternative TH Start Options here:
        >
        > I have a friend who hiked with me last year on the JMT who wants to start
        > at Tuolumne Meadows and then onto Whitney Portal but got turned down on his
        > preferred start day. Any ideas on other trailhead starts that put in the
        > same number of miles and gets him on the JMT by at least day 5 or 6? He's
        > done the JMT all the way down to Lower Palidades Lake and doesn't care
        > where he starts on the JMT just so that he can start nearby and ease into
        > the altitude and not be totally on a trail without ever meeting any people
        > for days on end. Plus I know he'll want to be on a trail that is visible
        > (not a bushwhack). It's okay if for a day or two the trail is unpopular
        > and hardly traveled.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Visit Roleigh's Google
        > Profile<https://profiles.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
        > _

      • Kim Fishburn
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2012
          I don't know the name of the trailhead but you could hike north from Tenaya Lake to Glen Aulin and then to Tuolumne Meadows. That might be a days hike. Another longer option is to hike from Hetch Hetchy or White Wolf to the Tuolumne River and then up to Tuolumne Meadows.

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 2, 2012
            Wow, reread the original post. This may not be the best way to go if you want to ease into it, as it pretty much immediately goes over two 12,000+ ft passes (although Parker pass really can barely be called a pass).

            Is a really beautiful way to go though.

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 2, 2012
              Brink, thanks for indicating the altitude.  That is quite high to immediately get over.  Wonder if there is any alternative TH Starting point that will get you up and over or around Donahue Pass.

              On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 4:44 PM, brink_nathan <brink_nathan@...> wrote:

              Wow, reread the original post. This may not be the best way to go if you want to ease into it, as it pretty much immediately goes over two 12,000+ ft passes (although Parker pass really can barely be called a pass).

              Is a really beautiful way to go though.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "brink_nathan" <brink_nathan@...> wrote:

              > Parker Pass is a nice jaunt and would be similar mileage. Been a while, but as I remember, it starts at the Mono Pass Trailhead and then goes over Parker Pass, Koip Pass (I hear there is a crashed plane up on top of Koip, but I didn't know that when I went over, still some really good views of Mono lake), goes by Algiers Lakes, over Gem Pass, by Gem Lake and meets up with the PCT at Summit Lake.
              >
              > It's a really pretty hike, took us two days to get to the PCT, and once we turned off the mono pass trail to go over Parker Pass we didn't see anyone the rest of the time.
              >
              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Any suggestions for hiking nearby but not from Tuolumne Meadows to Whitney
              > > Portal -- what alternative TH would you recommend?
              > >
              > > You know we have a file library of alternative TH Start Options here:
              > >
              > > I have a friend who hiked with me last year on the JMT who wants to start
              > > at Tuolumne Meadows and then onto Whitney Portal but got turned down on his
              > > preferred start day. Any ideas on other trailhead starts that put in the
              > > same number of miles and gets him on the JMT by at least day 5 or 6? He's
              > > done the JMT all the way down to Lower Palidades Lake and doesn't care
              > > where he starts on the JMT just so that he can start nearby and ease into
              > > the altitude and not be totally on a trail without ever meeting any people
              > > for days on end. Plus I know he'll want to be on a trail that is visible
              > > (not a bushwhack). It's okay if for a day or two the trail is unpopular
              > > and hardly traveled.
              > >
              > > Thanks!
              > > Visit Roleigh's Google
              > > Profile<https://profiles.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
              > > _

            • Kim Fishburn
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 2, 2012
                has anyone looked at hiking north from Lake Tenaya to Glenn Aulin and then over to Tuolumne Meadows?
              • Jim Ringland
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 2, 2012

                  The first thing that came to mind was to go up the Rush Creek Trail from Silver Lake and intercept the JMT above Waugh Lake, between Donahue and Island Passes.  The trailhead is a YARTS bus stop and there is a forest service campground right across the road.

                  But if you want a really different approach that doesn't get too high too fast and visits some nice under-visited country, try this west side entry south of Yosemite.  Get your wilderness permit at North Fork and drive up the Mammoth Pool / Minarets Road (paved and fast until the last few miles) to the Mammoth Trailhead at about 7500'.  Take the Mammoth Trail down to the North Fork of the San Joaquin at Sheep Crossing (just a bit below 6000'), climb to Corral and Cargyle Meadows and then to the Granite Stairway.  Top out at 9500' and then go down the Summit trail to intercept the JMT near Devil's Postpile.  You will have hiked about 14 miles.  On the way, appreciate the wilderness just a little more than usual: this trail was once roughly the route for a planned south-of-Yosemite road to Mammoth road.  The downside to this one is that it's a long way back the Mammoth Pool / Minarets Road, complicating the shuttle.  No public transportation that I know of.  Wilderness permits should not be an issue.

                  Jim Ringland

[...]

                • Barbara Karagosian
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 2, 2012
                    I've done that in reverse. TM to Glen Aulin (all downhill), then Glen Aulin to May Lake, nothing arduous, and you can do a side trip up Mt Hoffman from there. Then May Lake to Tenaya, all downhill.

                    Barbara

                    On Feb 2, 2012, at 12:08 PM, Kim Fishburn <outhiking_55@...> wrote:

                    has anyone looked at hiking north from Lake Tenaya to Glenn Aulin and then over to Tuolumne Meadows?

                  • cjoslyn99
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 2, 2012
                      I've looked into it as an alternative for full permit situations.

                      There are essentially two TH choices. One closest to Tenaya is Murphy
                      Creek which is not all that far from Sunrise TH and probably the
                      shortest distance to GA>TM. However, as someone suggested, going in at
                      May Lake is probably a nicer route since you can visit there and bag
                      Hoffman on the way. In ether case, it's probably a 2 day hike to
                      TM...more if you bag Hoffman.

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kim Fishburn <outhiking_55@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I don't know the name of the trailhead but you could hike north from
                      Tenaya Lake to Glen Aulin and then to Tuolumne Meadows. That might be a
                      days hike. Another longer option is to hike from Hetch Hetchy or White
                      Wolf to the Tuolumne River and then up to Tuolumne Meadows.

                      > ________________________________

                      ptions/

                      > I have a friend who hiked with me last year on the JMT who wants to
                      start at Tuolumne Meadows and then onto Whitney Portal but got turned
                      down on his preferred start day. Any ideas on other trailhead starts
                      that put in the same number of miles and gets him on the JMT by at least
                      day 5 or 6? He's done the JMT all the way down to Lower Palidades Lake
                      and doesn't care where he starts on the JMT just so that he can start
                      nearby and ease into the altitude and not be totally on a trail without
                      ever meeting any people for days on end. Plus I know he'll want to be
                      on a trail that is visible (not a bushwhack). It's okay if for a day or
                      two the trail is unpopular and hardly traveled.

                      > Thanks!

                    • Robert
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 2, 2012
                        Get a permit from Humbolt-Toiyabe from Virginia Lakes Trailhead near Bridgeport, CA. I don't know how many miles a day he hikes, but the total miles starting from there and picking up the JMT at TM is almost identical to the miles you do on the JMT from Happy Isles to Whitney Portal, minus the crowds and Yosemite permit hassles! The hike from Glen Aulin to TM is very nice, but a bit sandy in parts. I will look into the mileage, but I believe it is in the 21 - 24 mile
                        range. We did it in one night one year, but YMMV.

                        Edit - The mileage for this route is 22.9 miles. elevation gain is, (significantly lower than the 6000' or so from HI to TM, is 3462', and the scenery is very nice.