Re: [John Muir Trail] Whitney Permits not allowed on Sept 4,5,6,7,10,11,12,13

  • Peter Burke
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2012
      On 2/2/2012 10:49 AM, Don Amundson wrote:
      As I read it the closed dates are for the lottery not the exit permits.

      and coming from Yosemite, you don't even need an exit permit

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2012
        As I read it, they want people off the trail while repairing it in September, but I'm not sure if it's only the trail from the Eastern side of the Whitney Summit Junction or the portion including the Whitney Summit Junction to the Summit.

        It would be good to call and confirm to be sure.  One possible option is to do the summit, then go back down the Western side and go South to the next trailhead at Horseshoe Meadows which would add about another 14-16 miles to your hike (guessing).

        If anyone does call and confirm, please update the board.

        Thanks!

        Visit Roleigh's Google Profile
        _

        On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Spencer Goodwine <sdgoodwine@...> wrote:

        Will this be a problem for SoBo hikers coming to Whitney on those dates?

        Spence

      • Spencer Goodwine

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2012
            My hiking partner called the wilderness permit office and this is the answer she got:

            If we are on Mt. Whitney Trail on Sept. 4th, there will be some delays on switch back for us.
            We can hike through no problem while they are repairing.

            -Emily

            http://www.recreation.gov/permits/Mt_Whitney/r/wildernessAreaDetails.do?page=detail&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=72201

            Will this be a problem for SoBo hikers coming to Whitney on those dates?

            Spence

          • robert shattuck
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2012
              I've been on the trail while they've been blasting and it's no big deal. Delays, yes, but they aren't chasing you out of the mountains if you're already there.

              BOB

              To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com