Re: [John Muir Trail] Whitney Permits not allowed on Sept 4,5,6,7,10,11,12,13

  • Don Amundson
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2012
      As I read it the closed dates are for the lottery not the exit permits.

      Sent from my iPad

      On Feb 2, 2012, at 8:30 AM, "Spencer Goodwine" <sdgoodwine@...> wrote:

      Will this be a problem for SoBo hikers coming to Whitney on those dates?

      Spence

    • Peter Burke
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2012
        On 2/2/2012 10:49 AM, Don Amundson wrote:
        As I read it the closed dates are for the lottery not the exit permits.

        and coming from Yosemite, you don't even need an exit permit

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2012
          As I read it, they want people off the trail while repairing it in September, but I'm not sure if it's only the trail from the Eastern side of the Whitney Summit Junction or the portion including the Whitney Summit Junction to the Summit.

          It would be good to call and confirm to be sure.  One possible option is to do the summit, then go back down the Western side and go South to the next trailhead at Horseshoe Meadows which would add about another 14-16 miles to your hike (guessing).

          If anyone does call and confirm, please update the board.

          Thanks!

          Visit Roleigh's Google Profile
          _

          On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Spencer Goodwine <sdgoodwine@...> wrote:

          Will this be a problem for SoBo hikers coming to Whitney on those dates?

          Spence

        • Spencer Goodwine

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2012
              My hiking partner called the wilderness permit office and this is the answer she got:

              If we are on Mt. Whitney Trail on Sept. 4th, there will be some delays on switch back for us.
              We can hike through no problem while they are repairing.

              -Emily

              http://www.recreation.gov/permits/Mt_Whitney/r/wildernessAreaDetails.do?page=detail&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=72201

              Will this be a problem for SoBo hikers coming to Whitney on those dates?

              Spence

            • robert shattuck
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2012
                I've been on the trail while they've been blasting and it's no big deal. Delays, yes, but they aren't chasing you out of the mountains if you're already there.

                BOB

                To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com