Re: [John Muir Trail] So for those of you who have gone ultralight

    Message 1 of 38 , Feb 1 8:24 PM
      Conventional definition of base weight is weight of pack and everything in pack except consumables and water.  There is two weights in backpacking: pack weight (which is base weight plus consumables) + all other weight (which is worn or carried outside the pack, perhaps strung around your neck, in a fanny pack).  All of this weight totaled together is known as "full skin-out weight".

      Most people when they say they have their base weight < 15 lbs are talking pack base weight.  Leaving MTR, one could easily be packing 35 pounds when they factor "full skin-out weight".  If they don't resupply at Kearsarge Lake (or Charlotte Lake) and move slow, it could easily hit 40 lbs.
      Visit Roleigh's Google Profile
      _

    • JamesB
      Message 38 of 38 , Feb 2 9:09 PM
        I'm working at Ultralight because I am 71 years old, and can't do much real backpacking unless I carry very low weights. So, this can be sort of an alternative view of the John Ladd approach, except that the emphasis is on being nearly as light as possible, or it can't be done.