Re: [John Muir Trail] So for those of you who have gone ultralight

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 38 , Feb 1, 2012
      I agree with Spencer that it is getting in a mindset that you really don't need certain items, or certain 'overbuilt' items to enjoy yourself AND stay completly comfortable, especially when you are heading uphill. There is no right or wrong way to hike, but for me it makes my actual hiking experience much more enjoyable. You can have a lot of fun with as well, for example, I have had a blast building, testing, and using alcohol stoves until I have found one where the whole kit ( pot, long ti-spoon, stove, windscreen, pot support, and 2 days of alcohol in bottle ) weigh a total of 8 ozs., granted I do not make gourmet meals, but I do eat a warm dinner every night. I have had a lot of fun since I purchased a lightweight hikers best friend, a scale and used it to find all kinds of ways to shave weight. it actually becomes kind of an extension of backpacking trying to find ways to try and bring only muti-use items. When you start weighing items like Tevas, most people will be shocked at how much weight they are packing for a very limited use item. And each one of those one or limited use items start adding up really quickly.

      There are a lot of mis-conceptions on hiking ultralight such as freezing at night, uncomfortable packs, getting wet from the rain, spraining or injuring feet because we wear trail runners, ect.. ect. all are far from the truth.

      I appreciate how you asked for input in a non-imflammatory way as well. It is nice to have a civil discussion on light weight hiking.

    • JamesB
      Message 38 of 38 , Feb 2, 2012
        I'm working at Ultralight because I am 71 years old, and can't do much real backpacking unless I carry very low weights. So, this can be sort of an alternative view of the John Ladd approach, except that the emphasis is on being nearly as light as possible, or it can't be done.