Re: [John Muir Trail] So for those of you who have gone ultralight

  • jgoring
    Message 1 of 38 , Feb 1, 2012
      Hi Charlie -

      You will get a zillion recommendations, but I see a few pounds that could painlessly go away:

      - Sleeping pad  - look at the thermarest Neoair.  3/4 length will save about 1 lb.  Really comfy.
      - Cooking - that setup probably includes weight of fuel.  Consider alcohol, a wind screen and super cat stove.
      - Sleeping bag is heavy and more than you need unless you are going winter camping.  Look at 1.5lb 30 or 40 degree bags, or quilt.  Therma rest quilt that snaps to their sleeping pad.  Why carry insulation your are going to compress to uselessness?
      - your water bottles look impossibly heavy considering they are empty!  Try Nalgene wide mouth soft cantene.  2oz each, and doubles as a pillow.
      - tent - Tarptent squall 2, bug proof 2 person tent < 2lbs.  but.. costly.

      So thats..  a few lbs off.  Makes room for a (soft) bottle of wine!

      -jg

    • JamesB
      Message 38 of 38 , Feb 2, 2012
        I'm working at Ultralight because I am 71 years old, and can't do much real backpacking unless I carry very low weights. So, this can be sort of an alternative view of the John Ladd approach, except that the emphasis is on being nearly as light as possible, or it can't be done.