Re: [John Muir Trail] Resupply from MTR to Mt. Whitney

  • jgoring
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2012
      Lots of folk make MTR to Whitney portal without resupply.  But 10 to 11 days is a long haul.  We found that by that time of our hike (August '11), we were getting pretty used to 15 miles/day, so that leg compressed to 8 days (only 7 nights, dinner wise).  Now.. if you can convince your son's friend's dad to hike in over Kearsarge pass and bring you your last 3 days of food...  yum!  That worked for us.  They brought in hot dogs, and I had been food fantasizing about mustard for the two days prior to the meet up...  ACK - hot dogs without mustard!  Oh well..  I was still very appreciative.
    • ned@mountaineducation.org
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 4, 2012
        We "second" Parchers Resort as a great place to base your off-trail resupply operations!

        "Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

        Ned Tibbits, Director
        Mountain Education
        South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150
            P: 888-996-8333
            F: 530-541-1456
            C: 530-721-1551
            http://www.mountaineducation.org
      • Debra Podesta
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 5, 2012
          What kind of transportation is there between Parchers Resort and Bishop or Mammoth?

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 5, 2012
            There is no public transportation. Private shuttle services are an option.  Hitch hiking in the area is easy though--I've managed it and I don't look that good.  Once you get to Bishop there is bus service heading north and south from there.  Mammoth is north of Bishop. Resupply at Parchers for a JMT hike is awkward if you look at the miles.  And it is about a 24 mile round trip off the trail albeit a great area up through Dusy Basin and over Bishop Pass.  Parchers does offer discounted overnight hiker accommodations, resupply services (they'll hold your package), a restaurant, showers etc. Here's a link to their hiker services:  http://parchersresort.net/Backpackerservice.htm

            Don

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            From: delano50@...
            Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 07:48:59 -0800

            What kind of transportation is there between Parchers Resort and Bishop or Mammoth?