Resupply from MTR to Mt. Whitney

  • Emily
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1 6:37 AM
      It probably will take us 10-11 days from MTR to Mt. Whitney. I didn't find any places for resupply close to JMT. Any suggestions?

      Thanks.

      -Emily
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1 7:07 AM
        You can have packers bring in a resupply (if you can afford it) or you can head out to the Onion Valley trailhead above Independence

        Info here:

        See links to "Resupply 5"

        and here:

        Click on Resupply

        On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:37 AM, Emily <emily_yi2004@...> wrote:

        It probably will take us 10-11 days from MTR to Mt. Whitney. I didn't find any places for resupply close to JMT. Any suggestions?

        Thanks.

        -Emily

      • Ed Rodriguez
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1 8:56 AM
          Hi Emily another option if going to South Lake (Bishop) http://www.parchersresort.net/  .  Independence is another  point, you can take a shower at the gas station near subway in town.

          It probably will take us 10-11 days from MTR to Mt. Whitney. I didn't find any places for resupply close to JMT. Any suggestions?

          Thanks.

          -Emily

        • Bronco
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1 9:17 AM
            Man, that 12 mile hike over Bishop Pass and back is a two-day trip. Not easy either. Perhaps the easier Kearsarge Pass trail to Onion Valley would be better. Only 7.5 miles and no huge altitude gain/loss. That would put you within three days of Whitney Portal. We might stash a bear can at the trailhead and walk out to resupply on the way south.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ed Rodriguez <ed_rodriguez52@...> wrote:

            > Hi Emily another option if going to South Lake (Bishop) http://www.parchersresort.net/%c3%82%c2%a0 .  Independence is another  point, you can take a shower at the gas station near subway in town.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Emily Yi
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1 10:19 AM
              We are on tight schedule. I sent an email to Berners' Pack Outfits for a price quote of meeting them on the trail, somewhere close to Charlotte Lake Ranger Station.

              Do we absolutely need resupply?

              Thanks.

              -Emily

              Man, that 12 mile hike over Bishop Pass and back is a two-day trip. Not easy either. Perhaps the easier Kearsarge Pass trail to Onion Valley would be better. Only 7.5 miles and no huge altitude gain/loss. That would put you within three days of Whitney Portal. We might stash a bear can at the trailhead and walk out to resupply on the way south.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ed Rodriguez <ed_rodriguez52@...> wrote:

              > Hi Emily another option if going to South Lake (Bishop) http://www.parchersresort.net/  .  Independence is another  point, you can take a shower at the gas station near subway in town.
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Joe MacLeish
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1 12:09 PM

                Emily:

                Remember from last year Ranger George Durkee from Charlotte Lake said (personally told me) he will confiscate your food if it is anywhere except in his bear box (by his cabin) and delivered by reputable packers (Berner’s) who will pack out the garbage.  George will give you a day or so for stuff at the lake Bear box but he is really tired of having to clean up left behind food and garbage from the bear boxes in his district.  The Berner lady (Dana?) will give you a better price if you set up your delivery early (I always do mine in May for July trip) and if you are flexible a bit on time so she can send/bring your stuff in with others.

                Joe

                Man, that 12 mile hike over Bishop Pass and back is a two-day trip. Not easy either. Perhaps the easier Kearsarge Pass trail to Onion Valley would be better. Only 7.5 miles and no huge altitude gain/loss. That would put you within three days of Whitney Portal. We might stash a bear can at the trailhead and walk out to resupply on the way south.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ed Rodriguez <ed_rodriguez52@...> wrote:

                > Hi Emily another option if going to South Lake (Bishop) http://www.parchersresort.net/  .  Independence is another  point, you can take a shower at the gas station near subway in town.
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Joe MacLeish
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 1 12:11 PM

                  Emily:

                  You are good if you can meet them on the trail but by the time I get that far down the trail from Yosemite I am usually +/- one day on my schedule and would have missed them on the trail.  Besides the price is sometimes cheaper if they can bundle you with somebody else for a delivery to the Charlotte lake RS bear box.

                  Joe

                  Man, that 12 mile hike over Bishop Pass and back is a two-day trip. Not easy either. Perhaps the easier Kearsarge Pass trail to Onion Valley would be better. Only 7.5 miles and no huge altitude gain/loss. That would put you within three days of Whitney Portal. We might stash a bear can at the trailhead and walk out to resupply on the way south.

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ed Rodriguez <ed_rodriguez52@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Emily another option if going to South Lake (Bishop) http://www.parchersresort.net/  .  Independence is another  point, you can take a shower at the gas station near subway in town.
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • jgoring
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 1 12:26 PM
                    Lots of folk make MTR to Whitney portal without resupply.  But 10 to 11 days is a long haul.  We found that by that time of our hike (August '11), we were getting pretty used to 15 miles/day, so that leg compressed to 8 days (only 7 nights, dinner wise).  Now.. if you can convince your son's friend's dad to hike in over Kearsarge pass and bring you your last 3 days of food...  yum!  That worked for us.  They brought in hot dogs, and I had been food fantasizing about mustard for the two days prior to the meet up...  ACK - hot dogs without mustard!  Oh well..  I was still very appreciative.
                  • ned@mountaineducation.org
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 4 9:57 PM
                      We "second" Parchers Resort as a great place to base your off-trail resupply operations!

                      "Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

                      Ned Tibbits, Director
                      Mountain Education
                      South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150
                          P: 888-996-8333
                          F: 530-541-1456
                          C: 530-721-1551
                          http://www.mountaineducation.org
                    • Debra Podesta
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 5 7:48 AM
                        What kind of transportation is there between Parchers Resort and Bishop or Mammoth?

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 5 9:24 AM
                          There is no public transportation. Private shuttle services are an option.  Hitch hiking in the area is easy though--I've managed it and I don't look that good.  Once you get to Bishop there is bus service heading north and south from there.  Mammoth is north of Bishop. Resupply at Parchers for a JMT hike is awkward if you look at the miles.  And it is about a 24 mile round trip off the trail albeit a great area up through Dusy Basin and over Bishop Pass.  Parchers does offer discounted overnight hiker accommodations, resupply services (they'll hold your package), a restaurant, showers etc. Here's a link to their hiker services:  http://parchersresort.net/Backpackerservice.htm

                          Don

                          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                          From: delano50@...
                          Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 07:48:59 -0800

                          What kind of transportation is there between Parchers Resort and Bishop or Mammoth?