Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: camera gear

  • greg padgett
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 29, 2012
      Being that this may be the only time I ever get to hike the JMT (Huge to do list) I plan on carrying an APS-C DSLR and two zoom lenses covering 10-120mm focal lengths.(This may change if Nikon's new D800 is affordable :) ) Also a small, carbon fiber tripod, a couple of filters, and probably 6 batteries. Yep, it's going to be heavy and the going may be slower but the image quality will definitely be worth it. Despite what many will also say, I think the better camera does help to make up for my lack of photographical skills. :D  Here are some pics I took in Colorado this past July. Part 1-

      I've done the compromise before with a good point and shoot and then a micro 4/3 system and to be honest, I just wasn't happy with the end results. M43 is pretty good but neither has the dynamic range of the newer aps-c sensors and if you shoot raw and post process your images, that can make a difference.

      If I weren't so heavily invested in Nikon though I'd be taking a REAL hard look at Canon's new G1x. That looks to be a hiker's dream camera.