Does everyone treat their water on the JMT?

  • jim.ennis
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 29, 2008
      Just wondering if everyone treats all of their water or are the creeks
      safe to drink from? I'm planning an August, '09 thru-hike and was
      wondering what everyone else does regarding their water.
      Thanks,
      Jim
    • hmdsierra
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 29, 2008
        I just drink it, alwys have. I do use a bit of care trying to drink
        upstream of the trail, etc. Testing has found very little giardia in
        the Sierra. the only time anybody I know had trouble was in the S.
        Fork Kern in the Fall. My friend got it I didn't.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:

        > Just wondering if everyone treats all of their water or are the creeks
        > safe to drink from? I'm planning an August, '09 thru-hike and was
        > wondering what everyone else does regarding their water.
        > Thanks,
        > Jim

      • Kevin Aston
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 29, 2008
          I use a Miox http://www.miox.com/products/category/C12/ My Hiking
          buddy uses a pump. I like the Miox as it is 10 times faster to get the
          water, and its lighter. I'm not willing to take the chance that it
          will be me that gets sick or my friend.
          Happy planning
          Kevin Aston
          www.kevinaston.com

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > I just drink it, alwys have. I do use a bit of care trying to drink
          > upstream of the trail, etc. Testing has found very little giardia in
          > the Sierra. the only time anybody I know had trouble was in the S.
          > Fork Kern in the Fall. My friend got it I didn't.
          >
          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Just wondering if everyone treats all of their water or are the
          creeks
          > > safe to drink from? I'm planning an August, '09 thru-hike and was
          > > wondering what everyone else does regarding their water.
          > > Thanks,
          > > Jim

        • Steve Schauer
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 29, 2008
            We always filter water with the MSR pump. Why take a
            chance? But we have met people who drink out of the
            streams, and they feel confident about their decision.
            Having crossed a stream where we saw horses peeing in
            it (and you know they pee about a gallon!) we were
            really convinced to filter.
            Claire
            --- Kevin Aston <kevin@...> wrote:

            > I use a Miox
            > http://www.miox.com/products/category/C12/ My Hiking
            > buddy uses a pump. I like the Miox as it is 10 times
            > faster to get the
            > water, and its lighter. I'm not willing to take the
            > chance that it
            > will be me that gets sick or my friend.
            > Happy planning
            > Kevin Aston
            > www.kevinaston.com
            >

            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra
            > <no_reply@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I just drink it, alwys have. I do use a bit of
            > care trying to drink
            > > upstream of the trail, etc. Testing has found
            > very little giardia in
            > > the Sierra. the only time anybody I know had
            > trouble was in the S.
            > > Fork Kern in the Fall. My friend got it I didn't.
            >

            > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis"
            > <ulhiker1@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Just wondering if everyone treats all of their
            > water or are the
            > creeks
            > > > safe to drink from? I'm planning an August, '09
            > thru-hike and was
            > > > wondering what everyone else does regarding
            > their water.
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > Jim

          • Barbara Karagosian
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 29, 2008
              Hi Kevin - The Miox looks interesting. How do you deal with getting water
              from a very small source, where a filter hose can suck it up but it's not
              enough to get into a bottle? Also how do you deal with water that looks
              rather grubby! Thanks, Barbara (currently using a Sweetwater filter at
              11oz, and wanting to go lighter).

              _____

              --- Kevin Aston <kevin@kevinaston. <mailto:kevin%40kevinaston.com> com>
              wrote:

              > I use a Miox
              > http://www.miox <http://www.miox.com/products/category/C12/>
              com/products/category/C12/ My Hiking
              > buddy uses a pump. I like the Miox as it is 10 times
              > faster to get the
              > water, and its lighter. I'm not willing to take the
              > chance that it
              > will be me that gets sick or my friend.
              > Happy planning
              > Kevin Aston
              > www.kevinaston.com
              >

              > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
              yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra
              > <no_reply@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I just drink it, alwys have. I do use a bit of
              > care trying to drink
              > > upstream of the trail, etc. Testing has found
              > very little giardia in
              > > the Sierra. the only time anybody I know had
              > trouble was in the S.
              > > Fork Kern in the Fall. My friend got it I didn't.
              >

              > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
              yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis"
              > <ulhiker1@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Just wondering if everyone treats all of their
              > water or are the
              > creeks
              > > > safe to drink from? I'm planning an August, '09
              > thru-hike and was
              > > > wondering what everyone else does regarding
              > their water.
              > > > Thanks,
              > > > Jim

              Checked by AVG.
              1:29 PM

            • Kevin Aston
              Message 6 of 13 , May 1 7:09 PM
                I have only had a couple of times that the water source was difficult
                to get water from, but to use the Miox you fill your bottle with water
                and then add the processed salt solution to it. You shake it up,let a
                little leak out the lid to purify the container, and 30 minutes later
                your set. I had one source last year that was pretty bad, it didn't
                taste to good, but it kept me hydrated. I replaced the water when I
                came on a better place. My hike buddy, Tom Busby, has a pump. I often
                do his water, he sometimes does mine. The good things about the Miox
                is the light weight and the speed of getting water, the down side is
                it runs on batteries, but you get about 200 liters per new set. I made
                the mistake on my first trip and used the original batteries, and they
                lasted about 10 liters. You also need to pack some rock salt. A couple
                ounces is what I take and I send a little in my resupply, along with
                set or two of batteries. Always had more salt than I needed.
                Good luck
                Kevin Aston
                www.kevinaston.com

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian"
                <barbara@...> wrote:

                > Hi Kevin - The Miox looks interesting. How do you deal with getting
                water
                > from a very small source, where a filter hose can suck it up but
                it's not
                > enough to get into a bottle? Also how do you deal with water that looks
                > rather grubby! Thanks, Barbara (currently using a Sweetwater filter at
                > 11oz, and wanting to go lighter).
                >
                > _____

                4/28/2008
                > 1:29 PM

              • Barbara Karagosian
                Message 7 of 13 , May 1 8:22 PM
                  Thanks Kevin - now I'm thinking about the new MSR Hyperflow filter....

                  _____

                  <barbara@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Kevin - The Miox looks interesting. How do you deal with getting
                  water
                  > from a very small source, where a filter hose can suck it up but
                  it's not
                  > enough to get into a bottle? Also how do you deal with water that looks
                  > rather grubby! Thanks, Barbara (currently using a Sweetwater filter at
                  > 11oz, and wanting to go lighter).
                  >
                  > _____
                  >
                  > From: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                  yahoogroups.com

                  <http://www.miox.com/products/category/C12/> com/products/category/C12/>
                  > com/products/category/C12/ My Hiking
                  > > buddy uses a pump. I like the Miox as it is 10 times
                  > > faster to get the
                  > > water, and its lighter. I'm not willing to take the
                  > > chance that it
                  > > will be me that gets sick or my friend.
                  > > Happy planning
                  > > Kevin Aston
                  > > www.kevinaston.com
                  > >

                  > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra
                  > > <no_reply@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I just drink it, alwys have. I do use a bit of
                  > > care trying to drink
                  > > > upstream of the trail, etc. Testing has found
                  > > very little giardia in
                  > > > the Sierra. the only time anybody I know had
                  > > trouble was in the S.
                  > > > Fork Kern in the Fall. My friend got it I didn't.
                  > >

                  > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis"

                  > > water or are the
                  > > creeks
                  > > thru-hike and was
                  > > their water.

                  > Checked by AVG.
                  4/28/2008
                  > 1:29 PM

                  Checked by AVG.
                  1:29 PM

                • Ken
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 1 8:32 PM
                    I bought the MSR Hyperflow and am looking forward to putting it into use. It is the size of a small bike pump and looks well designed. The specs have it a approximately 3 liters per minute and the reviews that I've read have been very positive. I think the Hyperflow is just under 8 ounces, but I'm not sure if that includes the bottle adapter, tubes, and carrying pouch. I will weigh it in the near future. Also, they recommend that you back flush the filter after approximately 8 liters filtered (essentially daily). This involved reversing two check valves. Doesn't look too difficult. I will report back in late May after I hike Half Dome.

                    <barbara@... > wrote:

                    > Hi Kevin - The Miox looks interesting. How do you deal with getting
                    water
                    > from a very small source, where a filter hose can suck it up but
                    it's not
                    > enough to get into a bottle? Also how do you deal with water that looks
                    > rather grubby! Thanks, Barbara (currently using a Sweetwater filter at
                    > 11oz, and wanting to go lighter).
                    >
                    > _____
                    >
                    > From: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com>
                    yahoogroups. com
                    > We always filter water with the MSR pump. Why take a
                    > chance? But we have met people who drink out of the
                    > streams, and they feel confident about their decision.
                    > Having crossed a stream where we saw horses peeing in
                    > it (and you know they pee about a gallon!) we were
                    > really convinced to filter.
                    > Claire
                    > --- Kevin Aston <kevin@kevinaston. <mailto:kevin% 40kevinaston. com> com>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    > > I use a Miox
                    > > http://www.miox <http://www.miox
                    <http://www.miox com/products/ category/ C12/> com/products/ category/ C12/>
                    > com/products/ category/ C12/ My Hiking
                    > > buddy uses a pump. I like the Miox as it is 10 times
                    > > faster to get the
                    > > water, and its lighter. I'm not willing to take the
                    > > chance that it
                    > > will be me that gets sick or my friend.
                    > > Happy planning
                    > > Kevin Aston
                    > > www.kevinaston. com
                    > >

                    > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com>
                    > yahoogroups. com, hmdsierra
                    > > <no_reply@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I just drink it, alwys have. I do use a bit of
                    > > care trying to drink
                    > > > upstream of the trail, etc. Testing has found
                    > > very little giardia in
                    > > > the Sierra. the only time anybody I know had
                    > > trouble was in the S.
                    > > > Fork Kern in the Fall. My friend got it I didn't.
                    > >

                    > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com>
                    > yahoogroups. com, "jim.ennis"

                    > > water or are the
                    > > creeks
                    > > thru-hike and was
                    > > their water.

                    > Checked by AVG.
                    4/28/2008
                    > 1:29 PM

                    Checked by AVG.
                    1:29 PM

                    <!--

                    #ygrp-mkp{
                    #ygrp-mkp hr{
                    border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                    #ygrp-mkp #hd{
                    #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                    margin-bottom:10px;}
                    #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                    padding:0 0;}
                    #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                    color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                    -->

                    <!--

                    #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                    font-family:Arial;}
                    #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                    #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                    margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                    -->

                    <!--

                    #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                    #ygrp-text{
                    font-family:Georgia;
                    }
                    #ygrp-text p{
                    margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                    #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                    font-family:Arial;
                    clear:both;}
                    #ygrp-vitnav{
                    #ygrp-vitnav a{
                    padding:0 1px;}
                    #ygrp-actbar{
                    #ygrp-actbar .left{
                    float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                    .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                    #ygrp-grft{
                    #ygrp-ft{
                    padding:5px 0;
                    }
                    #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                    padding-bottom:10px;}

                    #ygrp-reco {
                    margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}
                    #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
                    font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;}

                    #reco-grpname{
                    font-weight:bold;margin-top:10px;}
                    #reco-category{
                    font-size:77%;}
                    #reco-desc{
                    font-size:77%;}

                    #ygrp-vital{
                    #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                    #ygrp-vital ul{
                    padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                    #ygrp-vital ul li{
                    }
                    #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                    #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                    font-weight:bold;}
                    #ygrp-vital a{
                    text-decoration:none;}

                    #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                    text-decoration:underline;}

                    #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                    color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                    #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                    #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                    padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                    #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                    #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                    text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                    #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                    #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                    padding:8px 0;}
                    #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                    #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                    text-decoration:none;}
                    #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                    text-decoration:underline;}
                    #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                    margin:0;}
                    o{font-size:0;}
                    .MsoNormal{
                    margin:0 0 0 0;}
                    #ygrp-text tt{
                    font-size:120%;}
                    blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                    .replbq{margin:4;}
                    -->

                  • Barbara Karagosian
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 1 9:27 PM
                      I've read a few people's comments on it where they adapted it to a Platypus
                      bladder too, whoch I like. I am envious of Half Dome - I did it last June -
                      we wore rock climbing shoes for the cable section, made a big difference,
                      cheers - Barbara

                      _____

                      <barbara@... > wrote:

                      > Hi Kevin - The Miox looks interesting. How do you deal with getting
                      water
                      > from a very small source, where a filter hose can suck it up but
                      it's not
                      > enough to get into a bottle? Also how do you deal with water that looks
                      > rather grubby! Thanks, Barbara (currently using a Sweetwater filter at
                      > 11oz, and wanting to go lighter).
                      >
                      > _____
                      >
                      > From: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com>
                      yahoogroups. com
                      > We always filter water with the MSR pump. Why take a
                      > chance? But we have met people who drink out of the
                      > streams, and they feel confident about their decision.
                      > Having crossed a stream where we saw horses peeing in
                      > it (and you know they pee about a gallon!) we were
                      > really convinced to filter.
                      > Claire
                      > --- Kevin Aston <kevin@kevinaston. <mailto:kevin% 40kevinaston. com> com>
                      > wrote:
                      >
                      > > I use a Miox
                      > > http://www.miox <http://www.miox
                      <http://www.miox com/products/ category/ C12/> com/products/ category/
                      C12/>
                      > com/products/ category/ C12/ My Hiking
                      > > buddy uses a pump. I like the Miox as it is 10 times
                      > > faster to get the
                      > > water, and its lighter. I'm not willing to take the
                      > > chance that it
                      > > will be me that gets sick or my friend.
                      > > Happy planning
                      > > Kevin Aston
                      > > www.kevinaston. com
                      > >

                      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com>
                      > yahoogroups. com, hmdsierra
                      > > <no_reply@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I just drink it, alwys have. I do use a bit of
                      > > care trying to drink
                      > > > upstream of the trail, etc. Testing has found
                      > > very little giardia in
                      > > > the Sierra. the only time anybody I know had
                      > > trouble was in the S.
                      > > > Fork Kern in the Fall. My friend got it I didn't.
                      > >

                      > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com>
                      > yahoogroups. com, "jim.ennis"

                      > > water or are the
                      > > creeks
                      > > thru-hike and was
                      > > their water.

                      > Checked by AVG.
                      4/28/2008
                      > 1:29 PM

                      Checked by AVG.
                      1:29 PM

                      <!--

                      #ygrp-mkp{
                      border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:14px 0px;padding:0px
                      14px;}
                      #ygrp-mkp hr{
                      border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                      #ygrp-mkp #hd{
                      0px;}
                      #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                      margin-bottom:10px;}
                      #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                      padding:0 0;}
                      #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                      color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                      -->

                      <!--

                      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                      font-family:Arial;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                      margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                      -->

                      <!--

                      #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial, helvetica, clean,
                      sans-serif;}
                      #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial, helvetica, clean,
                      sans-serif;}
[...]

                      font-size:77%;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;color:#333;text-transform
                      :uppercase;}
                      #ygrp-vital ul{
                      padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                      #ygrp-vital ul li{
                      }
                      #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                      font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;float:right;width:2em;text-align:right;paddin
                      g-right:.5em;}
                      #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                      font-weight:bold;}
                      #ygrp-vital a{
                      text-decoration:none;}

                      #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                      text-decoration:underline;}

                      #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                      color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                      padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                      text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                      padding:8px 0;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                      font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;color:#628c2a;font-size:100%;line-height:
                      122%;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                      text-decoration:none;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                      text-decoration:underline;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                      margin:0;}
                      o{font-size:0;}
                      .MsoNormal{
                      margin:0 0 0 0;}
                      #ygrp-text tt{
                      font-size:120%;}
                      blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                      .replbq{margin:4;}
                      -->

                      Checked by AVG.
                      1:29 PM

                    • rambler4466
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 6 9:51 AM
                        Lighter weight options to pump filter systems are the Steri Pen Adventure model, or Aqua
                        Mira Drops. Use a piece of no-seum netting to filter out visible "floaties". To get water
                        out of a small source use a pliable plate like the Orikaso models or others and pour the
                        water into a cooking pot until you have enough to filter with your pump. Using a gravity
                        filter as found at ULA Equipment gives you another pliable bag. Gravity pulls the water
                        through the filter instead of a pump.

                      • Barbara Karagosian
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 6 3:06 PM
                          Thank you for the ideas! B

                          _____

                          Lighter weight options to pump filter systems are the Steri Pen Adventure
                          model, or Aqua
                          Mira Drops. Use a piece of no-seum netting to filter out visible "floaties".
                          To get water
                          out of a small source use a pliable plate like the Orikaso models or others
                          and pour the
                          water into a cooking pot until you have enough to filter with your pump.
                          Using a gravity
                          filter as found at ULA Equipment gives you another pliable bag. Gravity
                          pulls the water
                          through the filter instead of a pump.

                          --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                          yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian" <barbara@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Kevin - The Miox looks interesting. How do you deal with getting water
                          > from a very small source, where a filter hose can suck it up but it's not
                          > enough to get into a bottle? Also how do you deal with water that looks
                          > rather grubby! Thanks, Barbara (currently using a Sweetwater filter at
                          > 11oz, and wanting to go lighter).
                          >
                          > _____
                          >
                          > From: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                          yahoogroups.com [mailto:johnmuirtrail@
                          > We always filter water with the MSR pump. Why take a
                          > chance? But we have met people who drink out of the
                          > streams, and they feel confident about their decision.
                          > Having crossed a stream where we saw horses peeing in
                          > it (and you know they pee about a gallon!) we were
                          > really convinced to filter.
                          > Claire
                          > --- Kevin Aston <kevin@kevinaston. <mailto:kevin%40kevinaston.com> com>
                          > wrote:
                          >
                          > > I use a Miox
                          > > http://www.miox <http://www.miox
                          <http://www.miox.com/products/category/C12/> com/products/category/C12/>
                          > com/products/category/C12/ My Hiking
                          > > buddy uses a pump. I like the Miox as it is 10 times
                          > > faster to get the
                          > > water, and its lighter. I'm not willing to take the
                          > > chance that it
                          > > will be me that gets sick or my friend.
                          > > Happy planning
                          > > Kevin Aston
                          > > www.kevinaston.com
                          > >

                          > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra
                          > > <no_reply@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > I just drink it, alwys have. I do use a bit of
                          > > care trying to drink
                          > > > upstream of the trail, etc. Testing has found
                          > > very little giardia in
                          > > > the Sierra. the only time anybody I know had
                          > > trouble was in the S.
                          > > > Fork Kern in the Fall. My friend got it I didn't.
                          > >

                          > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis"

                          > > water or are the
                          > > creeks
                          > > thru-hike and was
                          > > their water.

                          > Checked by AVG.
                          > 1:29 PM

                          Internal Virus Database is out of date.
                          Checked by AVG.
                          1:29 PM

                        • Fred Sharples
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 9 11:18 AM
                            I felt pretty confident not treating water. I was doing the JMT in early
                            June so there were very few people out there. Pack animals were not out
                            either.

                            I got my water upstream from camp sites and crossings. I never had any
                            problems.

                            I did this because of I was solo and my pack weight was really important.
                            Also I've camped in the Sierras all of my life. I grew up in the Sierras and
                            have never known anyone up there to get Giardia or anything else that was
                            clearly traceable to water. My belief is that people get sick from bad camp
                            hygiene more often than water.

                            I did bring Aquamira tablets just in case.

                            On weekend trips I do bring a filter. I would probably bring one if I was
                            travelling in a group as the weight issue is diminished and the chance for
                            infection is a bit higher.

[...]

                            <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> , "Barbara Karagosian"
                            <barbara@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Kevin - The Miox looks interesting. How do you deal with getting
                            water
                            > from a very small source, where a filter hose can suck it up but
                            it's not
                            > enough to get into a bottle? Also how do you deal with water that looks
                            > rather grubby! Thanks, Barbara (currently using a Sweetwater filter at
                            > 11oz, and wanting to go lighter).
                            >
                            > _____
                            >
                            > From: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                            <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                            > We always filter water with the MSR pump. Why take a
                            > chance? But we have met people who drink out of the
                            > streams, and they feel confident about their decision.
                            > Having crossed a stream where we saw horses peeing in
                            > it (and you know they pee about a gallon!) we were
                            > really convinced to filter.
                            > Claire
                            > --- Kevin Aston <kevin@kevinaston. <mailto:kevin%40kevinaston.com> com>
                            > wrote:
                            >
                            > > I use a Miox
                            > > http://www.miox <http://www.miox.com/products/category/C12/>
                            > com/products/category/C12/ My Hiking
                            > > buddy uses a pump. I like the Miox as it is 10 times
                            > > faster to get the
                            > > water, and its lighter. I'm not willing to take the
                            > > chance that it
                            > > will be me that gets sick or my friend.
                            > > Happy planning
                            > > Kevin Aston
                            > > www.kevinaston.com
                            > >

                            > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                            > yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra
                            > > <no_reply@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > I just drink it, alwys have. I do use a bit of
                            > > care trying to drink
                            > > > upstream of the trail, etc. Testing has found
                            > > very little giardia in
                            > > > the Sierra. the only time anybody I know had
                            > > trouble was in the S.
                            > > > Fork Kern in the Fall. My friend got it I didn't.
                            > >

                            > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                            > yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis"

                            > > water or are the
                            > > creeks
                            > > thru-hike and was
                            > > their water.

                            > Checked by AVG.
                            4/28/2008
                            > 1:29 PM

                          • hmdsierra
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 9 4:16 PM
                              I use the same method, have for years. My friend got the wrath of the
                              ameoba one time and that was on the S. Fork Kern in October. Very
                              little water and what was available was very small and slow moving the
                              first cuple of days. I was unaffected.