Re: Hwy 120 into Yosemite may be closed for a while

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 28, 2012
      This was quicker than I had anticipated:

      Highway 120 – Big Oak Flat Road Set to Reopen in Yosemite National Park

      Date: January 27, 2012

      Road to Reopen Tomorrow, January 28 at 8:00 a.m.

      Yosemite National Park announces that the Big Oak Flat Road (the continuation of Highway 120) within the park will reopen tomorrow morning, January 28, 2012, at 8:00 a.m.The park's Roads and Trails Crew worked throughout the week to clear the road of debris and rocks after a large rockfall occurred late last Sunday evening, January 22, 2012.Two lanes have been re-established on the road and it will be open to unrestricted traffic tomorrow morning.

      "All of the work on the road this week has been accomplished by the efforts of our Roads and Trails Crew in the Division of Facilities Management," stated park Superintendent Don Neubacher."I'd like to personally praise them for their tireless work, dedication, and skill in getting the road back open.This opening is a testament to the efficiency and fortitude of our Roads and Trails Crew."

      Temporary road closures will be in place next week to allow the park unrestricted access to pave the road. Exact days and times have not been established.Visitors are asked to call 209-372-0200 for 24-hour updated road and weather information.

      The road will reopen tomorrow morning with a gravel surface. Park visitors are urged to use extreme caution and drive slowly through the rockfall area.

      from

      http://www.nps.gov/yose/parknews/bofreopen.htm