Re: [John Muir Trail] Half Dome pemit process to change again

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2012
      As I read it, the Environmental Assessment does not address the details of permitting such as the status of thru-hikers.  It says that the NPS will set those specific rules within some broad parameters being assessed in the Environmental Assessment.  This makes sense to me,  you don't want the NPS to have to go through an EA process every time they want to tweak the rules.  The EA should evaluate only broad policy choices, not every little adjustment in procedures.

      On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 8:41 AM, speedcenter2001 <pburke@...> wrote:

      Half Dome Trail Stewardship Plan - EA Public Review:

      http://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cfm?parkID=347&projectID=29443&documentID=44771

      several proposals up for comment. The preferred plan reduces access to 300/day. I scanned the large planning document (link at bottom of page) and didn't see any details about how this affects JMT hikers, who currently can get a permit without competing for it in the general permit pool of 400/day.