Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Cell Phone reception on JMT

  • Fred Sharples
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 28 3:07 PM
      On my trip last June I tried to get a signal on every ridge and peak and
      there was really nothing at all out there.

      The few exceptions were: Just after Donohue Pass and on down to almost Rush
      Creek. Reds Meadow to almost deer crk crossing. *There is a new Verizon cell
      tower on top of Mammoth mountain.*

      The summit of Whitney. *I had to stand just-so to get it to work.*

      The phone was worth carrying because it had lots of music, a gps, 4 books
      and I had a nice solar charger for it. Not worth carrying for the phone out
      there though.
      *http://fredsharples.com/jmt.html*
      ** <http://fredsharples.com/>
      -quake

      On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Paul <eaglepdub@...> wrote:

      > Correction about MTR and the satelite phone. Patt the nice lady at
      > MTR that helps you with your resupply sent me an e-mail that they do
      > not have a phone. I stand corrected it is VVR that has the Satelite
      > phone not MTR.
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com <johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "Paul" <eaglepdub@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > MTR has a satalite pay phone! It's $2.00 per minute!
      > >

      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com <johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > Roleigh Martin <roleigh@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > So T-Mobile and Verizon is out of luck? I have T-Mobile.
      > > >
      > > > At MTR, do they have a pay phone?
      > > >
      > > > Kevin Aston <kevin@> wrote: I pack
      > > my AT&T. You can get reception at TM, Vermillion on the hill
      > > > down the JMT past the bridge to the south. There is a camping
      > > spot
      > > > there we had reception. You also get reception at the resort,
      > and
      > > at
      > > > the ferry pickup. All only AT&T. I also am packing one to call
      > > from
      > > > the top of Whitney.
      > > > Happy Hiking
      > > > Kevin Aston