Re:Resupplying at Cedar Grove???

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 27, 2008
      No, one does not want to miss Glen Pass. I like all passes because I
      can stop, take off my pack and light up my pipe while I take in the
      views both behind and ahead. Glen Pass, however, was one of my
      favorites. Something about the narrow ridge it travels from one end
      to the other. It seemed very serene to me and usually has a fair
      number of people to chat with.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jim McCrain" <jim@...> wrote:

      > Here is a little clarification. Sorry I didn't put it in my
      original post!

      > The easiest access to Roads End/Cedar Grove from the JMT is via the
      Woods Creek/Paradise Valley Junction. This is the best option if you
      are heading SOUTHBOUND. Very easy trail, but watch out for aggressive
      bears in Paradise Valley. If you are heading NORTHBOUND on the JMT,
      then follow the Bubbs Creek Drainage to Roads End. Once again, very
      easy trail, but hot and dusty.

      > If you want, you can make a loop trail out of the Paradise Valley
      and Bubbs Creek trails to get back to the JMT, BUT, you will miss the
      Rae Lakes and Glen Pass areas, and you do NOT want to miss this section!

      > From the Bubbs Creek area, you are only about 4 days from Whitney.
      (1/3 of the distance from Whitney to MTR/VVR)

      > Jim

      write them to get the specifics.)
      > Second: hike to the Roads End Ranger Station. (Approximately 11
      miles from the JMT.)
      > Third: hitch-hike or walk the 2+ miles to the Cedar Grove Ranger
      Station.