Memories Day 20

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 473 , Aug 20, 1999
      Day 20 Aug 20,1982<br>I woke up about 3:30 this
      morning and the skies were clear. I could see the flash
      of lightning from over the mountains to the north.
      Gary later told me a friend of his was on Hwy 395
      during the storm and it was spectacular on the ease
      side. The sun was in camp when we arose at 8 AM
      (surprise) and it looks like summer is back, although I'll
      find out later I was wrong. Two days ago while coming
      down from Pinchot Pass I had the feeling the trip was
      over. That feeling often hits me towards the end of a
      trip for no particular reason and the rest of the time
      is only coming out. However, that feeling is
      replaced by the anticipation of the new section with Gary.
      Today is the day he rejoins the journey. It has been
      exactlly two weeks since we reached Red's Mdw. and he had
      to leave. We are soon packed up and on the way to
      Glen Pass. An hour brought us to the small basin at
      the foot of the pass after which the trail the trail
      became steep and rocky. However, we were energized, and
      almost out of food, so in 35 minutes with one sit-down
      and 3 or 4 stand-up rests we were on top. There were
      only a couple of snow patches on the way. This soon
      became one of my favorite passes. It truly fits the
      defination of an arete (a narrow mountain ridge). The trail
      runs down the middle of a narrow ridge for 50 or 60
      yards. We only spent 25 minutes on top because we were
      anxious to get to the meeting point ahead of Gary. We
      were hopeing he would be able to get the permit. He
      later told us that everyone was going to Kersarge Pass
      and he planned on pleading hardship, starving hikers
      hungrily awaiting resupply. He got the permit but said he
      planned on going anyway. Of course, a litle ways up the
      trail there was the ranger checking permits. The south
      side of the pass descends quickly but is less rocky
      than the north side. We passed an "OLD" woman headed
      north and she asked us if we had seen the shortcut to
      Sixty Lks. Basin. I don't complain about my pack
      anymore. We moved along past Charlotte Lk., noting it for
      a future trip. I havn't made it yet but still have
      hopes. We crossed the large bench and dropped down to
      the trail coming from BullFrog Lk. reaching it at
      1:00. Figuring we were ahead of Gary, we sat down to
      wait and made some lime Jell-O, which we later drank.
      The scoutmaster we had met at Woods Ck. came by and
      had us pose for a picture. We waited and waited and
      thinking we may have been later than Gary,and at 3:30
      headed on down to Vidette after leaving a note for Gary.
      We walked all the way to the last campsite before
      starting uphill and Gary wasn't in any of them. Owen and I
      decided we wern't going to stop now. We still had a
      couple of Mug-O-Lunch, dried fruit, popcorn and flour.
      We decided if he didn't arrive today we would
      layover on Saturday and fish. If he wasn't here by then
      we would head for Whitney as fast as possible, fish
      again at Crabtree, beg for food and head out. We
      started cooking our last full meal of stew and a little
      over an hour after we got here Gary arrived with his
      wife Liz. He said that we had left the trail junction
      just before he got there. He also reminded me the plan
      was to camp in the first campsite at Vidette, not the
      last. His knee is still bothering him and he will not
      be finishing with us but will meet us next
      Wednesday. I told him about the great fishing we had heard
      about at Shadow Lk. but he had not been able to go
      there before meeting us. We counter balanced the 4
      packs just as we had done our food at Tuolumne Mdws.
      They were high up on a small limb and the ground
      sloped away. We had heard of someone wrestling the bear
      for his food at Vidette on the way here. Good thing
      the bear didn't show up or that our packs were well
      placed because we slept by the stream and the sound of
      the water was so loud we could not have heard
      anything. Even though Gary will not finish out it is good
      to talk with him again. 7 miles today.
    • tiocampo
      Message 473 of 473 , Feb 24, 2002