First Aid Kits / Supplies

  • Rick Romine
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 20, 2012
      I apologize in advance if the topic FIRST AID KITS has been well covered elsewhere. I looked in the Safety, Health and First Aid folder and did not find much. I know this raises individual questions of preference, priorities, and tolerance for weight /bulk… but I though I would ask anyway. I just completed a 10 day Wilderness First Responder training, and it caused me to question what I normally carry into the wilderness. I am not referring to classic 10 essential items, like map / compass / matches. I am really interested in first aid supplies. What do people find the most useful to carry and why? And of the classic items you decide not to carry, how do you get by?
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 20, 2012
        We did have a interesting thread on this year, but the topic is worth re-raising.

        prior thread is found here:

        I just added a link to this thread in our First Aid links folder.  Thanks for prompting me to do this, Rick.

        I tend to bring a rather elaborate kit and most of it, of course, goes unused on any given trip.  But I never know what part of it goes unused.

        The items I think that are particularly unusual and not in many people's kits: scissors for trimming moleskin and other needs, tweezers, irrigation syringe for cleaning wounds, tincture of benzoin (makes skin sticky so that bandages or moleskin adheres better).

        My longer list of somewhat non-standard items. (The list does NOT include items that others had previously suggested)

        Razor blade
        scissors
        tweezers
        safety pins
        alcohol prep pads - sometimes another type of antibiotic pad
        Q-tips and cotton balls
        1 oz 10% povidone iodine
        irrigation syringe
        triple antibiotic (Neosporin)
        bacitracin if I am traveling with someone who might be sensitive to triple antibiotic
        variety of bandages (sizes, materials)
        butterfly bandages
        wound closure kit (steri-strips, etc.)
        roll of sterile gauze
        various sizes of sterile gauze pads
        non-sterile gauze
        paper first-aid tape
        cloth first aid tape
        tegaderm bandaging material and/or Compeed and/or Opsite Flesigard and/or Nexcare waterproof skin cover (usually several of these - used for covering large areas like big abrasions from falls)
        triangular bandage
        finger cots
        compression ("Ace") bandage
        knee brace (because I tend to have knee problems on occasion)
        various medications including Pepcid (antacid), Tums, Vicodin, a broad-spectrum antibiotic like Cipro or Amoxicillan, immodium, suppository for bad constipation, anti-histamine (secondary use of sleep aid), naproxen (works better for me than ibuprofen)
        1% hydorcortisone cream
        anti-histimine cream if I'm travelling with someone who might need it (I don't seem very sensitive)
        I take various thickness of moleskin in large-ish sheets in order to cut to size needed

        On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Rick Romine <rominerick@...> wrote:

        I apologize in advance if the topic FIRST AID KITS has been well covered elsewhere. I looked in the Safety, Health and First Aid folder and did not find much. I know this raises individual questions of preference, priorities, and tolerance for weight /bulk… but I though I would ask anyway. I just completed a 10 day Wilderness First Responder training, and it caused me to question what I normally carry into the wilderness. I am not referring to classic 10 essential items, like map / compass / matches. I am really interested in first aid supplies. What do people find the most useful to carry and why? And of the classic items you decide not to carry, how do you get by?

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 20, 2012
          This is one area I don't try to 'go crazy' on going lightweight on. My kit weighs in at 12ozs., heavy by some standards, but it contains the essentials that I have found I need over the years:

          1 roll cloth tape
          Micro Swiss Army knife
          small 8cc bottle of tincture of benzoine
          Ibuprofen, for inflamation
          Acetaminophen, for pain relief
          Antiseptic Towelettes
          Iodine solution, single use ampules
          Pennsaide, topical anti-inflammatory, 15cc dropper bottle
          Dr. Bronners soap, 15cc dropper bottle
          4 large flex cloth Band-Aids
          4 Reg size Band Aids
          General purpose non-adhesive gauze pad
          Mosquito repellant, 15cc dropper bottle
          Safety pin
          Mini-Bic lighter
          Anti-biotic ointment, in small packs
          Q-tips, cut to fit in small bag
          Imodium AD
          Vicodine
          Tooth powder, in 6cc dropper bottle with drilled out dropper opening
          Pre cut kineseo tape for toes

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 20, 2012
            Thanks for the link. Sorry I missed it in my first search.

          • Barbara Karagosian
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 20, 2012
              I always carry an Ace wrap bandage in case of knee or ankle issues (and have used it).  Also a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Cipro or a Z pack (Zithromycin).  I've thought about bringing Flagyl, in case of giardia. I've also thought of Diamox (altitude).  Used to carry Benadryl for bug bite relief when my daughter is with me. She attracts mozzies!

              Barbara

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 20, 2012
                A lot of good replies here.  My own first aid gear is mixed in with my very wordy, heavily depicted and linked (where to buy, how much each item weighs, costs) gear list which is at my BackpackingLight.com profile (top right of my google profile) and also in the file library under gear.

                Hiking 2010 Gear List sorted.pdf
                Roleigh Martin's Hiking 2010 Gear List

                If the file link doesn't work (normally Yahoo's file links are dynamic and not reliable), use the folder link which is reliable then look for the filetitle.
                Visit Roleigh's Google Profile
                _

              • robert shattuck
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 20, 2012
                  "What do people find the most useful to carry and why?"

                  Luckily, I can say that I've never had to find much, useful, when it comes to first-aid supplies. I seem to suffer at least one, crash and burn, on every "trip" usually to bad footing, but otherwise, hiking in shorts, I always get a few scrapes and gouges, requiring nothing more than, a water rinse, an alcohol swab(s) and if I think of it, some neosporin. I rarely cover any wound, but to that end, I take along several panty liners, which cover a good area and do what they're designed to do––they can sop up a small or large wound and wrapped with a bit of duct tape––they aren't ever going to fall off.

                  Luckily, I think I've only had one good abrasion where I had to pull out the panty liners

                  I've hauled a few cutting instruments on the trail, but never found the need for a  bad-ass survival (it looked cool!) knife or even a Swiss Army Knife. My friends just came back from France and brought me an "Opinel" but, unless I find some cheese . . . I've found that I've never had a need for anything more than a very small, super-light, Olfa- touch knife:

                  http://www.amazon.com/Olfa-Touch-Knife-TK-4B-9537/dp/B000N0IPOA

                  Perfect for cutting moleskin, rope, packaging and, when cauterized––other people's blisters. Really, I think, if you are in need of anything more than this, you're carrying too much knife. Again, this is just me––I've seen people out there with giant saw blade multi-tools, trying to cut firewood, when a boot will do. And I always seem to find knives––found another one this weekend.

                   Motrin IB. . . I carry a lot of these. Enough for 2-3 per day and I try to take them at night . . . helps me relax and sleep.

                  Moleskin, just because . . . always good to hand out to people who don't have enough because they're in bad boots.

                  Sunscreen and lip balm, both of which, like a new years resolution, I apply heavily the first few days and them seem to forget about . . .

                  BOB

                  To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                  From: rominerick@...
                  Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:46:58 +0000