Re: Trailhead start point

  • Skot
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 23 8:36 PM
      That is great feedback. I will give it a whirl. What I should of done
      was get a GP trailhead and start before. There was a time a earlier
      this year that the servers on the NPS systems were acting up and the
      phone line was busy so I rushed it just to get something. that was
      dumb.

      thanks again.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <eaglepdub@...> wrote:

      > Skot,
      >
      > If you do you are a crazy man. There are more rangers in this area
      > than mosquitos. You will not only receive a huge fine but you will
      > be sent back the same way you came. There is just no getting
      around
      > the rangers in this area. You will more than likely be asked to
      > show your permit several times.
      >
      > There is still hope for you though. My suggestion to you is to get
      > to Yosemite Valley a day early if at all possible. They hold 40%
      of
      > the permits for walk-ins. If you still cannot get one on the day
      > before your hike don't give up. Try again the next day if the
      > people with the permit reservation don't show by 10:00 a.m. they
      > forfit it. This happens a lot more often than people think, also
      > what happens is people have a reservation for say 4 people and then
      > when it comes down to it they only need 2 or 3. Going solo gives
      > you a very good opportunity to get a permit on the spur of the
      > moment.
      >
      > Last, if none of those work for you hop on the YARTS at 5:00 p.m.
      it
      > will take you to T.M. and hike in at least 4 miles.
      >
      > Good Luck!
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Skot" <68thruster@> wrote:
      > >
      > > OK I admit I could not get my JMT permit to match my vacation
      > schedule
      > > and the boss man won't budge... so much for 8 years of service
      > right.
      > >
      > > I can't bear to not start at the official start point at YV but
      my
      > > trailhead start point on my permit if for TM.
      > >
      > > My question is this. If I start at YV and go to Merced lake or
      > Sunrise
      > > lakes to camp as a through hiker who would know or care and
      > > furthermore if I did get pulled over I could fall back on the
      > story I
      > > am day hiking and plan on starting at TM later that evening.
      > >
      > > So throw tomatoes at me for breaking the rule here. I would like
      > the
      > > feedback please.

    • jim.ennis
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 24 6:25 AM
        Skot:
        You can always start at TM, hike north to YV, catch a YART back to
        TM, and then head south from TM. No harm, no foul, and you still hike
        the whole trail.
        Jim

      • mbeilfuss
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 24 10:02 AM
          Hi
          I'm with Paul, get a walk-in permit at YV. We did it last year, and it
          worked. But a word of caution. Make reservations for a campground in
          YV now, and get to the wilderness permit station early, early. I think
          they open at 7 or so. We got there last year at around 5, and there
          was already somebody waiting. By the time the office opened there were
          a good 10 people on line, and they only have a limited number of permits.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 24 5:26 PM
              I am in a similar bind. Me and two others were going to take off from TM
              and hike north to YV and then take YARTS back to TM and travel south to
              Bishop from there. I have the following questions:

              1. Do I need a permit for each time I leave TM?

              2. What are my chances of getting these permits for 3 without any
              reserved permits?

              3. We are going to end at Parcher's Resort in Bishop area but we are
              having problems finding transport from Parcher's to Bishop bus station.
              Apparently, High Sierra Transport is no longer in business. Any ideas?

              4. How far ahead should I ship my food caches to the post offices?

              Thanks,

              Brian

              <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> , "Skot" <68thruster@...> wrote:

              > OK I admit I could not get my JMT permit to match my vacation
              schedule
              > and the boss man won't budge... so much for 8 years of service
              right.

              > I can't bear to not start at the official start point at YV but my
              > trailhead start point on my permit if for TM.
              >
              > My question is this. If I start at YV and go to Merced lake or
              Sunrise
              > lakes to camp as a through hiker who would know or care and
              > furthermore if I did get pulled over I could fall back on the
              story I
              > am day hiking and plan on starting at TM later that evening.
              >
              > So throw tomatoes at me for breaking the rule here. I would like
              the
              > feedback please.

            • mbeilfuss
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 25 10:21 AM
                Scot,

                I can't remember exactly what time we got there, but it was before
                6am. The woman before us was wrapped up in a sleeping bag but I can't
                rememeber if she said how long she had been there. You are not
                allowed to camp outside the office though. You have to just sit.
                Bring a thermos of hot coffeee and a snack. Good luck.

                Brian,
                1. I think the permits are for specific trailheada and leave dates,
                so yes, you probably will need 2 permits, one to hike toward YV, and
                another for a day or two later to hike out on Lyle branch. But I'm
                not sure, I'd call the permit office to find out.

                2. Are the reservable permits all gone already for your date(s)? I
                think the permits are for groups, and not individuals. So the amount
                of people in the party shouldn't matter. (It might be different if
                you're an organized trail guide.) But it might be difficult to get
                the permits if you need them for 2 different days. You can only get
                the walk-in permits the day of. So you'd probably be in the situation
                of an early monring wait. Again, talk to the permit office.

                3. Try Bob E. I learned about him at another Sierra list serve. Try
                this link: (http://www.mtwhitneyshuttle.com)
                or,
                http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2790

                4. Depends on where you are sending it, and what method. I think they
                generally recommned sending it about 3 weeks before you plan on
                picking it up. But the problem is that post offices are only required
                to hold packages for ten days. Sorry I can't answer that one better.
                I'll have to look into that more myself for this year's excursion.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Goodlander"