Memories Day 17

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 473 , Aug 17, 1999
      Day 17 Aug 17, 1982<br>We were in bed early last
      night, probably because we didn't have a fire to occupy
      and warm us. The morning is clear with only a few
      hazy clouds in the east as we start for Mather Pass.
      All we have heard is that Mather Pass is the hardest
      one and has lots of snow. A couple passed us at
      Grouse Mdw. Monday morning and raved about the life
      threatning descent. Well except for a few patches of snow
      and a stretch of 50-75 yards near the top the climb
      was all on the trail. We are the first ones to arrive
      at the pass today and we revel in the moment. Before
      us is the grand view of Upper Basin, the S. Fork
      Kings and on the far horizon Pinchot Pass. After a
      while others started showing up. One is a guy out for
      40 days from Emigrant Wilderness to Yosemite and now
      to Mt. Whitney. Two girls from Fresno, with whom we
      discuss backpack cookery. The tell me of the little
      cheese filled raveoli and tortilini, which I later
      incorporated into my menu. Not wanting to lose the high, pun
      intended, we stay for an hour and 50 minutes before
      starting down. We came steadily and easily down the the
      crossing of the S. Fork Kings. At the crossing is an
      earlier aquaintence, we remember because his entire menu
      was rice and oatmeal, stripping down to wade across.
      Owen and I went a little upstream and found a log to
      cross on. The trail turned uphill be we moved on along,
      but not quite as easily. Soon tho we reached the top
      of the bench and strolled on up to L. Marjorie. The
      rock here is very volcanic and of many colors but
      mostly dark red and gold. The clouds that have been
      building all day seem to be clearing but still linger in
      the north. From here we have an excellent view of
      Upper Basin and Mather Pass. My knee has been much
      improved since Piute Ck. but is still sensitive to touch
      in certain spots. I seem to have pulled a muscle
      just above my left knee on the inside. We have heard
      there are big fish here so Owen is finding out. The
      stories are true but we threw them all back. The US was
      deeply involved in Lebanon and all evening we watched
      plane after plane just over the crest to the east,
      heading to China Lake perhaps, and wondered if anything
      was going on in the other world. A glorious 10.5
      miles today.
    • tiocampo
      Message 473 of 473 , Feb 24, 2002