Very dry winter so far in CA

  • trail2nowhere
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2012
      Hi kids,

      We are having endless summer here in CA. The bad news is that skiing sucks and we may had some pretty dry sections of the trail next summer. The good newes is that we are still doing great hikes and if it holds we could get into the Sierra much earlier than we could last year.

      Personally, I plan on gambling and getting some early permits for a few week long hikes along the JMT and PCT zones.

      Off belay,
      Jack
    • Sierracanon
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2012
        I just got back from Yosemite, and hiked the North Dome trail from the Tioga Road. Some short patches of (hard) snow and ice, and two frozen creeks to cross, but mostly dirt. Unbelievable for December.

        David

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2012
          Wow, what a great point.  For those in the group with decades of experience in the Sierras, just how dry can it be, for water sources, along the JMT?

          I only have been on the JMT stretch 4 times now, the driest was 2008.  We only had to take boots off once on the whole JMT -- Evolution Creek.  No problem anywhere else.  I did not worry about water availability then.  It was a fantastically fine hike.  The Noseeums were super bad at Wanda Lake and nobody stayed there that year when we went through.

          Visit Roleigh's Google Profile
          _

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2012
            BTW, at noon today at donner summit the temp was 58 degrees!

            a few potential dry area of the JMT zone that come to my mind are:
            * little Yosemite valley to Cathedral lake
            * humphrey basin
            * south of mather pass
            * reds to duck creek
            * mono basin