Alcohol Stove

  • guildshoes
    Message 1 of 36 , Apr 6, 2008
      I went on the NPS site for the trail and reviewed their commentary
      about the ban on open fires and zip stoves. They seem to base the
      ban upon preventing both scarring of the land through fire scars and
      rings as well as preserving twigs and wood resources. There is no
      reference to a desire to prevent fires. Thus, based upon what is
      said there does not appear to be a rational link to imposing
      penalties upon alcohol stove users. I have sent them a question
      asking if alcohol stoves and esbit stoves are in fact banned. That
      question is set forth below

      Paddy
      Buffalo, NY

      I note that the prohibition against open fires and sierra zip stoves
      appears to be based on the direct impact of wood fires and the use of
      fuel. I have heard that some rangers also prohibit the use of
      alcohol stoves and even esbit might be considered improper. Please
      advise if it is proper to use an alcohol or esbit stove.

      Thanks
      Kevin
      Buffalo, NY
    • Dale Stuart
      Message 36 of 36 , Jul 19, 2010
        I too have a keg setup, but I use  Esbit fuel instead. Full tablet of fuel will boil 2 cups and 1/2 tablet does 1 cup.  I do 1 cup for b'fast and 2 cups for dinner meal.  Works great for me and limits total fuel use to 3/4 oz per day.

        Dale Stuart
        onetwolaugh@...

        Please strip out "replied-to" text if not necessary to your reply.  Failure to strip makes it hard for our Daily Digest members to find the new postings among the repeats.
        .