Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: New Stove

  • Steve Schauer
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
      We're all about eating well, too! We use our jetboil,
      and bring a little fry pan, too. Here are some good
      ideas for trail food:
      http://www.johnmuirtrail.org/meals.html
      I even put some recipe links. I'm dehydrating fruit
      right now for our summer hiking.
      Claire

    • hmdsierra
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
        I dried fruit and frozen vegetables, french cut green beans. When we
        lived in Bakersfield there was plenty of solar power for drying. Here
        in Oregon is a different story. I made many of my meas from the
        grocery store, Rice & Sauce, Pasta & Sauce. Many of the packages have
        recipes on the box you can use. I would take a can of chicken, ham,
        Spam or corned beef. Corned beef and drie hash browns make a fine
        hash. Potatos Au Gratin with a can of ham is a good meal. Always had
        plenty of bread, bisquit mix realy, of various ingredients, whole
        wheat, cornmeal, oatmeal. We always eat well. My son worked for the
        Forest Service a couple of years ago and made a couple of overnight
        hikes for the job. His companions were impressed with the Rocky Roak
        Pie.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Steve Schauer <clairehiker@...>