Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

[John Muir Trail] Re: New Stove

Expand Messages
  • hmdsierra
    Sounds like you eat similar to me on the trail, with the mention of a frypan. Since I learned how to trail cook I rarely have any cravings even on very long
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      Sounds like you eat similar to me on the trail, with the mention of a
      frypan. Since I learned how to trail cook I rarely have any cravings
      even on very long trips. I met and spent a few nights with a couple
      guys a few years ago. They were preparing their freeze dried meal but
      looked longingly at my red Beans and Rice. They also gladly took a
      Pop-Tart and some slices of fried Spam. It takes a bit longer and
      requires a bit more cooking equipment and some dish washing but i eat
      well.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <jmaddog1082@...> wrote:
      >
      > I too am in the process of selecting a lightweight stove, but I
      haven't finalized my decission yet. I narrowed my search down to two
      MSR products: the Pocket Rocket and the Superfly. While the weights
      are close, the Superfly is bulkier which limits storing it inside a
      small cookpot w/ canister. However becasue of the Superfly's larger
      diameter burner, flame distribution is better over the bottom of the
      pot (reducing hot spots in theory) .
      >
      > I wouldn't consider myself an on-trail gourmet, but I do like to
      prepare more than just boil water. I've learned of some comparrisons,
      but I still haven't arrived at a final choice yet.
      >
      > Does anyone in the forum have experience with both? Also, is the
      focused flame of the PR vs. the broader flame of the SF really an
      issue in such applications as a fry pan?
      >
      > Thanks in advance for your input,
      > John
      >
      > I
      > ---- "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:
      > > I use the Optimus Crux. It weighs approximately 3 oz. and does a
      great
      > > job. It has an adjustable flame, so it can simmer if you need it
      to. It
      > > costs around 70.00. One of the neat things about this stove is
      that it
      > > folds nearly flat and will store in the bottom of a canister in its
      > > case. So it will nest in any pot large enough for the canister to fit
      > > in.
      > > Jim
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "t_b_sharp" <t_b_sharp@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm looking at the MSR Pocket Rocket or the MSR Windpro. Does
      anyone
      > > > have experience with either of these (i.e. Fuel consumption, burn
      > > time
      > > > etc).
      > > > Or, does anyone have a favorite one they can recommend?
      > > > Trying to keep it under $100.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks in advance.
      > > >
      > > > Todd.
      > > >
      > >
      > >
      >
    • Carol
      I like my Snowpeak Gigapower stove, it fits inside my MSR Titan Kettle or Snowpeak mug, and it s never failed me. ... time
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        I like my Snowpeak Gigapower stove, it fits inside my MSR Titan Kettle
        or Snowpeak mug, and it's never failed me.


        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "t_b_sharp" <t_b_sharp@...>
        wrote:
        >
        > I'm looking at the MSR Pocket Rocket or the MSR Windpro. Does anyone
        > have experience with either of these (i.e. Fuel consumption, burn
        time
        > etc).
        > Or, does anyone have a favorite one they can recommend?
        > Trying to keep it under $100.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Todd.
        >
      • Steve Schauer
        We re all about eating well, too! We use our jetboil, and bring a little fry pan, too. Here are some good ideas for trail food:
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          We're all about eating well, too! We use our jetboil,
          and bring a little fry pan, too. Here are some good
          ideas for trail food:
          http://www.johnmuirtrail.org/meals.html
          I even put some recipe links. I'm dehydrating fruit
          right now for our summer hiking.
          Claire

          --- hmdsierra <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          > Sounds like you eat similar to me on the trail, with
          > the mention of a
          > frypan. Since I learned how to trail cook I rarely
          > have any cravings
          > even on very long trips. I met and spent a few
          > nights with a couple
          > guys a few years ago. They were preparing their
          > freeze dried meal but
          > looked longingly at my red Beans and Rice. They
          > also gladly took a
          > Pop-Tart and some slices of fried Spam. It takes a
          > bit longer and
          > requires a bit more cooking equipment and some dish
          > washing but i eat
          > well.
          >
          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com,
          > <jmaddog1082@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I too am in the process of selecting a lightweight
          > stove, but I
          > haven't finalized my decission yet. I narrowed my
          > search down to two
          > MSR products: the Pocket Rocket and the Superfly.
          > While the weights
          > are close, the Superfly is bulkier which limits
          > storing it inside a
          > small cookpot w/ canister. However becasue of the
          > Superfly's larger
          > diameter burner, flame distribution is better over
          > the bottom of the
          > pot (reducing hot spots in theory) .
          > >
          > > I wouldn't consider myself an on-trail gourmet,
          > but I do like to
          > prepare more than just boil water. I've learned of
          > some comparrisons,
          > but I still haven't arrived at a final choice yet.
          > >
          > > Does anyone in the forum have experience with
          > both? Also, is the
          > focused flame of the PR vs. the broader flame of the
          > SF really an
          > issue in such applications as a fry pan?
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance for your input,
          > > John
          > >
          > > I
          > > ---- "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:
          > > > I use the Optimus Crux. It weighs approximately
          > 3 oz. and does a
          > great
          > > > job. It has an adjustable flame, so it can
          > simmer if you need it
          > to. It
          > > > costs around 70.00. One of the neat things about
          > this stove is
          > that it
          > > > folds nearly flat and will store in the bottom
          > of a canister in its
          > > > case. So it will nest in any pot large enough
          > for the canister to fit
          > > > in.
          > > > Jim
          > > >
          > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com,
          > "t_b_sharp" <t_b_sharp@> wrote:
          > > > >
          > > > > I'm looking at the MSR Pocket Rocket or the
          > MSR Windpro. Does
          > anyone
          > > > > have experience with either of these (i.e.
          > Fuel consumption, burn
          > > > time
          > > > > etc).
          > > > > Or, does anyone have a favorite one they can
          > recommend?
          > > > > Trying to keep it under $100.
          > > > >
          > > > > Thanks in advance.
          > > > >
          > > > > Todd.
          > > > >
          > > >
          > > >
          > >
          >
          >
          >
        • hmdsierra
          I dried fruit and frozen vegetables, french cut green beans. When we lived in Bakersfield there was plenty of solar power for drying. Here in Oregon is a
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            I dried fruit and frozen vegetables, french cut green beans. When we
            lived in Bakersfield there was plenty of solar power for drying. Here
            in Oregon is a different story. I made many of my meas from the
            grocery store, Rice & Sauce, Pasta & Sauce. Many of the packages have
            recipes on the box you can use. I would take a can of chicken, ham,
            Spam or corned beef. Corned beef and drie hash browns make a fine
            hash. Potatos Au Gratin with a can of ham is a good meal. Always had
            plenty of bread, bisquit mix realy, of various ingredients, whole
            wheat, cornmeal, oatmeal. We always eat well. My son worked for the
            Forest Service a couple of years ago and made a couple of overnight
            hikes for the job. His companions were impressed with the Rocky Roak
            Pie.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Steve Schauer <clairehiker@...>
            wrote:
            >
            > We're all about eating well, too! We use our jetboil,
            > and bring a little fry pan, too. Here are some good
            > ideas for trail food:
            > http://www.johnmuirtrail.org/meals.html
            > I even put some recipe links. I'm dehydrating fruit
            > right now for our summer hiking.
            > Claire
            >
            > --- hmdsierra <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            >
            > > Sounds like you eat similar to me on the trail, with
            > > the mention of a
            > > frypan. Since I learned how to trail cook I rarely
            > > have any cravings
            > > even on very long trips. I met and spent a few
            > > nights with a couple
            > > guys a few years ago. They were preparing their
            > > freeze dried meal but
            > > looked longingly at my red Beans and Rice. They
            > > also gladly took a
            > > Pop-Tart and some slices of fried Spam. It takes a
            > > bit longer and
            > > requires a bit more cooking equipment and some dish
            > > washing but i eat
            > > well.
            > >
            > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com,
            > > <jmaddog1082@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I too am in the process of selecting a lightweight
            > > stove, but I
            > > haven't finalized my decission yet. I narrowed my
            > > search down to two
            > > MSR products: the Pocket Rocket and the Superfly.
            > > While the weights
            > > are close, the Superfly is bulkier which limits
            > > storing it inside a
            > > small cookpot w/ canister. However becasue of the
            > > Superfly's larger
            > > diameter burner, flame distribution is better over
            > > the bottom of the
            > > pot (reducing hot spots in theory) .
            > > >
            > > > I wouldn't consider myself an on-trail gourmet,
            > > but I do like to
            > > prepare more than just boil water. I've learned of
            > > some comparrisons,
            > > but I still haven't arrived at a final choice yet.
            > > >
            > > > Does anyone in the forum have experience with
            > > both? Also, is the
            > > focused flame of the PR vs. the broader flame of the
            > > SF really an
            > > issue in such applications as a fry pan?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks in advance for your input,
            > > > John
            > > >
            > > > I
            > > > ---- "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@> wrote:
            > > > > I use the Optimus Crux. It weighs approximately
            > > 3 oz. and does a
            > > great
            > > > > job. It has an adjustable flame, so it can
            > > simmer if you need it
            > > to. It
            > > > > costs around 70.00. One of the neat things about
            > > this stove is
            > > that it
            > > > > folds nearly flat and will store in the bottom
            > > of a canister in its
            > > > > case. So it will nest in any pot large enough
            > > for the canister to fit
            > > > > in.
            > > > > Jim
            > > > >
            > > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com,
            > > "t_b_sharp" <t_b_sharp@> wrote:
            > > > > >
            > > > > > I'm looking at the MSR Pocket Rocket or the
            > > MSR Windpro. Does
            > > anyone
            > > > > > have experience with either of these (i.e.
            > > Fuel consumption, burn
            > > > > time
            > > > > > etc).
            > > > > > Or, does anyone have a favorite one they can
            > > recommend?
            > > > > > Trying to keep it under $100.
            > > > > >
            > > > > > Thanks in advance.
            > > > > >
            > > > > > Todd.
            > > > > >
            > > > >
            > > > >
            > > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            >
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.