Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: New Stove

  • Tom Aterno
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 5, 2008
      Our PR did a good job heating up tasty melted cheese tortillas in a
      nonstick pan north of Agnew Meadows. Through the flame pattern is
      small, my son and I were able to work around it, and we never scorched
      any food. it is a good stove, and I would bring it again when cooking
      for two or more.

      That being said, and after reviewing my base pack weight, for this
      season I am looking for a lighter alternative, such as an alcohol
      stove. The Caldera Cone looks promising. It incorporates a wind
      screen fitted to a specific pot. There is even a Ti version, which
      should be more durable.
      http://traildesigns.com/products01.html#caldera

      Tom KI6ASP

      On Apr 5, 2008, at 12:16 PM, <jmaddog1082@...> wrote:

      > I too am in the process of selecting a lightweight stove, but I
      > haven't finalized my decission yet. I narrowed my search down to two
      > MSR products: the Pocket Rocket and the Superfly. While the weights
      > are close, the Superfly is bulkier which limits storing it inside a
      > small cookpot w/ canister. However becasue of the Superfly's larger
      > diameter burner, flame distribution is better over the bottom of the
      > pot (reducing hot spots in theory) .
      >
      > I wouldn't consider myself an on-trail gourmet, but I do like to
      > prepare more than just boil water. I've learned of some comparrisons,
      > but I still haven't arrived at a final choice yet.
      >
      > Does anyone in the forum have experience with both? Also, is the
      > focused flame of the PR vs. the broader flame of the SF really an
      > issue in such applications as a fry pan?
      >
      > Thanks in advance for your input,
      > John

      > ---- "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:
      > > I use the Optimus Crux. It weighs approximately 3 oz. and does a
      > great
      > > job. It has an adjustable flame, so it can simmer if you need it
      > to. It
      > > costs around 70.00. One of the neat things about this stove is that
      > it
      > > folds nearly flat and will store in the bottom of a canister in its
      > > case. So it will nest in any pot large enough for the canister to
      > fit
      > > in.
      > > Jim
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "t_b_sharp" <t_b_sharp@...>
      > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm looking at the MSR Pocket Rocket or the MSR Windpro. Does
      > anyone
      > > > have experience with either of these (i.e. Fuel consumption, burn
      > > time
      > > > etc).
      > > > Or, does anyone have a favorite one they can recommend?
      > > > Trying to keep it under $100.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks in advance.
      > > >
      > > > Todd.

    • hmdsierra
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
        Sounds like you eat similar to me on the trail, with the mention of a
        frypan. Since I learned how to trail cook I rarely have any cravings
        even on very long trips. I met and spent a few nights with a couple
        guys a few years ago. They were preparing their freeze dried meal but
        looked longingly at my red Beans and Rice. They also gladly took a
        Pop-Tart and some slices of fried Spam. It takes a bit longer and
        requires a bit more cooking equipment and some dish washing but i eat
        well.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <jmaddog1082@...> wrote:

        > I too am in the process of selecting a lightweight stove, but I
        haven't finalized my decission yet. I narrowed my search down to two
        MSR products: the Pocket Rocket and the Superfly. While the weights
        are close, the Superfly is bulkier which limits storing it inside a
        small cookpot w/ canister. However becasue of the Superfly's larger
        diameter burner, flame distribution is better over the bottom of the
        pot (reducing hot spots in theory) .

        > I wouldn't consider myself an on-trail gourmet, but I do like to
        prepare more than just boil water. I've learned of some comparrisons,
        but I still haven't arrived at a final choice yet.

        > Does anyone in the forum have experience with both? Also, is the
        focused flame of the PR vs. the broader flame of the SF really an
        issue in such applications as a fry pan?

        > Thanks in advance for your input,
        > John

        > ---- "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:
        > > I use the Optimus Crux. It weighs approximately 3 oz. and does a
        great
        > > job. It has an adjustable flame, so it can simmer if you need it
        to. It
        > > costs around 70.00. One of the neat things about this stove is
        that it
        > > folds nearly flat and will store in the bottom of a canister in its
        > > case. So it will nest in any pot large enough for the canister to fit
        > > in.
        > > Jim
        > >
        > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "t_b_sharp" <t_b_sharp@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I'm looking at the MSR Pocket Rocket or the MSR Windpro. Does
        anyone
        > > > have experience with either of these (i.e. Fuel consumption, burn
        > > time
        > > > etc).
        > > > Or, does anyone have a favorite one they can recommend?
        > > > Trying to keep it under $100.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks in advance.
        > > >
        > > > Todd.

      • Carol
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
          I like my Snowpeak Gigapower stove, it fits inside my MSR Titan Kettle
          or Snowpeak mug, and it's never failed me.

          wrote:

          > I'm looking at the MSR Pocket Rocket or the MSR Windpro. Does anyone
          > have experience with either of these (i.e. Fuel consumption, burn
          time
          > etc).
          > Or, does anyone have a favorite one they can recommend?
          > Trying to keep it under $100.
          >
          > Thanks in advance.
          >
          > Todd.

        • Steve Schauer
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
            We're all about eating well, too! We use our jetboil,
            and bring a little fry pan, too. Here are some good
            ideas for trail food:
            http://www.johnmuirtrail.org/meals.html
            I even put some recipe links. I'm dehydrating fruit
            right now for our summer hiking.
            Claire

          • hmdsierra
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
              I dried fruit and frozen vegetables, french cut green beans. When we
              lived in Bakersfield there was plenty of solar power for drying. Here
              in Oregon is a different story. I made many of my meas from the
              grocery store, Rice & Sauce, Pasta & Sauce. Many of the packages have
              recipes on the box you can use. I would take a can of chicken, ham,
              Spam or corned beef. Corned beef and drie hash browns make a fine
              hash. Potatos Au Gratin with a can of ham is a good meal. Always had
              plenty of bread, bisquit mix realy, of various ingredients, whole
              wheat, cornmeal, oatmeal. We always eat well. My son worked for the
              Forest Service a couple of years ago and made a couple of overnight
              hikes for the job. His companions were impressed with the Rocky Roak
              Pie.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Steve Schauer <clairehiker@...>