Re: Backpack Advice

  • beemancron
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 5, 2008
      My favorite packs are made by Gossamer Gear. Three years ago, I used a Mariposa Plus
      and an Expedition on a 9 day scout trip. The challenge was not so much as how the
      Expedition fit in the pack (Vertical) but how to pack 9 days of food into 900 cuin. Teaching
      this skill to scouts was also a challenge. :)

      On my JMT thru hike this year, leaving July 13, I am using the same Mariposa Plus and a
      Bearvault 400. I have a choice of strapping it on top of the pack or storing vertical inside
      the pack. With the options of multiple resupply locations: Reds, VVR, Muir Ranch, I just
      don't see a need to carry 9 days of food in 900 cuins. Too much weight!

      My newly adopted thru-hiker slogan: "When the weight goes down, the fun goes up" :)

      Beeman

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "hewhohikesalot" <hewhohikes@...> wrote:

      > I'm thinking of doing a ten day trip on the JMT and was wondering what
      > kind of backpack to get that would be big enough to contain a
      > expedition bearikade (14" long and 9" round). I'm looking for
      > something reasonably light and about 3000+ cubic inches in volume. Any
      > advice would be appreciated.
      > Thanks.

    • rambler4466
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
        I use the pack made by Moonbow Gear. This pack will easily accomadte a Bear Canister
        either horizontally or vertically. I carry my gear in three nylon dry bags from Camp Inn.
        Two are 10 L bags for clothes, gear, and sleeping bag. One is 19L for food. The food bag
        will be replaced by the canister when hiking the JMT. If two bags are equal in weight, I
        pack two vertically with the sleeping bag horizontal across the top.
        Otherwise I carry all three horizontal with the heaviest bag (canister) (food) in the middle.
        My sleeping bag (homemade quilt) is down, so I like it on top, not on the bottom, so it will
        not be crushed or compacted. The pack has a mesh pocket on the outside for a tarp,
        raingear and misc.

        > I have the Expedition cannister myself and will be on the JMT for 16-17 days this
        summer. I will be comparing the use of this cannister with a variety of pack options
        myself:

        > 1. with a Granite Gear Ozone (3 pounds)
        > 2. with a Granite Gear Vapor Trail (2 pounds)
        > 3. with a LuxuryLite Frame Backpack (weighs under 2 pounds)
        > 4. with a Osprey Aether 60 pack
        > 5. with a SixMoonDesigns's Starlight pack (weighs under 2 pounds)
        >
        > The only one of the five above that it fits horizontally is on the LuxuryLite pack, the
        others it has to stack vertically in the bag which is a bummer, as there is slack space
        around the cylinder and what do you stack alongside the cylinder as you kind of want the
        cylinder to be dead center in pack (centered left-to-right that is).

        > I don't know at this point which one I'm going to like best with the cylinder.
        >
        > I know that Dan McHale makes custom packs that can fit the Expedition Cannister
        horizontally in the pack and the pack comes in under 3 pounds. That is another option
        but you have to get your order in very fast if you want it done for 2008.

        > I'm anxious to find out which is going to work best. I'll be doing 2 day weekend hikes
        discovering which option I like the best and will update the list with my findings.

        > Drew <drew@...> wrote:
        > I am set to thru hike in Aug, and was wondering the same thing. Right
        > now my plan is to carry the same Bearikade, and use a Granite Gear
        > Vapor Trail.
        >
        > Some specs can be found here
        >
        > Vapor Trail from Granite Gear
        > <http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/vapor_trail/in\
        > dex.html>
        >
        > I have both it and the Alpine Vapor -for use in the winter snowshoeing..
        > So. I figure I might as well use what I have. After reading several
        > reviews and trail summaries it appears many a thru hiker are using the
        > Vapor Trail. My only real concern is how the bear can will fit/ride. I
        > have not received my order as of yet.
        >
        > I also looked at a couple of others, but I am sure the list goes on and
        > on. you may get soem ideas from the 2008 gear guide from Backpacker
        > magazine.
        >
        > Nimbus Ozone from Granite Gear
        > <http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/nimbus_ozone/i\
        > ndex.html>
        > Golite Pinnacle
        > <http://www.golite.com/Product/proddetail.aspx?p=PA5252&s=1>
        >
        > Drew
        >
        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "hewhohikesalot" <hewhohikes@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm thinking of doing a ten day trip on the JMT and was wondering what
        > > kind of backpack to get that would be big enough to contain a
        > > expedition bearikade (14" long and 9" round). I'm looking for
        > > something reasonably light and about 3000+ cubic inches in volume.
        > Any
        > > advice would be appreciated.
        > > Thanks.

      • Steve Schauer
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
          We used the Osprey Aether 70 (steve) and Ariel 65
          Claire) for our thru-hike. The most comfortable pack
          we've ever had!
          Claire

        • Patronio@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 15, 2008
            I stand behind Osprey packs 100%. I do have an Aether 70 and 60 and are extremely comfortable. I highly recommend them.

          • targetdoggmechanic
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 18, 2008
              Ditto to that one. For the price they are one of the best packs I have
              ever used. Gotta love the thermoformed belt that REI can custom fit to
              your waist. Did the JMT last year and it performed flawlessly. Gonna
              buy my fiancee one this year for her b-day.

              Dogg

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@... wrote:

              > I stand behind Osprey packs 100%. I do have an Aether 70 and 60 and
              are extremely comfortable. I highly recommend them.

            • Barbara Karagosian
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 4, 2008
                Hi Fred - How did you find the Virga? I have one, and wore it in the shower
                as a test and got a wet patch on the front - maybe leaked thru or next to
                the zipper. Did you have it in any downpours? How was the hood? Thanks in
                advance - Barbara

                Checked by AVG.
                5:37 PM