Re: [John Muir Trail] New Stove

  • Steve Schauer
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2008
      We used the jetboil and it was great. The self
      igniter didn't work, so bring matches. I recommend
      storm-proof as they work well in the wind.
      --- t_b_sharp <t_b_sharp@...> wrote:

      > I'm looking at the MSR Pocket Rocket or the MSR
      > Windpro. Does anyone
      > have experience with either of these (i.e. Fuel
      > consumption, burn time
      > etc).
      > Or, does anyone have a favorite one they can
      > recommend?
      > Trying to keep it under $100.
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      >
      > Todd.

    • jim.ennis
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2008
        I use the Optimus Crux. It weighs approximately 3 oz. and does a great
        job. It has an adjustable flame, so it can simmer if you need it to. It
        costs around 70.00. One of the neat things about this stove is that it
        folds nearly flat and will store in the bottom of a canister in its
        case. So it will nest in any pot large enough for the canister to fit
        in.
        Jim

      • jmaddog1082@charter.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 5, 2008
          I too am in the process of selecting a lightweight stove, but I haven't finalized my decission yet. I narrowed my search down to two MSR products: the Pocket Rocket and the Superfly. While the weights are close, the Superfly is bulkier which limits storing it inside a small cookpot w/ canister. However becasue of the Superfly's larger diameter burner, flame distribution is better over the bottom of the pot (reducing hot spots in theory) .

          I wouldn't consider myself an on-trail gourmet, but I do like to prepare more than just boil water. I've learned of some comparrisons, but I still haven't arrived at a final choice yet.

          Does anyone in the forum have experience with both? Also, is the focused flame of the PR vs. the broader flame of the SF really an issue in such applications as a fry pan?

          Thanks in advance for your input,
          John

          ---- "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:
          > I use the Optimus Crux. It weighs approximately 3 oz. and does a great
          > job. It has an adjustable flame, so it can simmer if you need it to. It
          > costs around 70.00. One of the neat things about this stove is that it
          > folds nearly flat and will store in the bottom of a canister in its
          > case. So it will nest in any pot large enough for the canister to fit
          > in.
          > Jim
          >
          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "t_b_sharp" <t_b_sharp@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm looking at the MSR Pocket Rocket or the MSR Windpro. Does anyone
          > > have experience with either of these (i.e. Fuel consumption, burn
          > time
          > > etc).
          > > Or, does anyone have a favorite one they can recommend?
          > > Trying to keep it under $100.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance.
          > >
          > > Todd.

        • Tom Aterno
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 5, 2008
            Our PR did a good job heating up tasty melted cheese tortillas in a
            nonstick pan north of Agnew Meadows. Through the flame pattern is
            small, my son and I were able to work around it, and we never scorched
            any food. it is a good stove, and I would bring it again when cooking
            for two or more.

            That being said, and after reviewing my base pack weight, for this
            season I am looking for a lighter alternative, such as an alcohol
            stove. The Caldera Cone looks promising. It incorporates a wind
            screen fitted to a specific pot. There is even a Ti version, which
            should be more durable.
            http://traildesigns.com/products01.html#caldera

            Tom KI6ASP

            On Apr 5, 2008, at 12:16 PM, <jmaddog1082@...> wrote:

            > I too am in the process of selecting a lightweight stove, but I
            > haven't finalized my decission yet. I narrowed my search down to two
            > MSR products: the Pocket Rocket and the Superfly. While the weights
            > are close, the Superfly is bulkier which limits storing it inside a
            > small cookpot w/ canister. However becasue of the Superfly's larger
            > diameter burner, flame distribution is better over the bottom of the
            > pot (reducing hot spots in theory) .
            >
            > I wouldn't consider myself an on-trail gourmet, but I do like to
            > prepare more than just boil water. I've learned of some comparrisons,
            > but I still haven't arrived at a final choice yet.
            >
            > Does anyone in the forum have experience with both? Also, is the
            > focused flame of the PR vs. the broader flame of the SF really an
            > issue in such applications as a fry pan?
            >
            > Thanks in advance for your input,
            > John

            > ---- "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:
            > > I use the Optimus Crux. It weighs approximately 3 oz. and does a
            > great
            > > job. It has an adjustable flame, so it can simmer if you need it
            > to. It
            > > costs around 70.00. One of the neat things about this stove is that
            > it
            > > folds nearly flat and will store in the bottom of a canister in its
            > > case. So it will nest in any pot large enough for the canister to
            > fit
            > > in.
            > > Jim
            > >
            > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "t_b_sharp" <t_b_sharp@...>
            > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I'm looking at the MSR Pocket Rocket or the MSR Windpro. Does
            > anyone
            > > > have experience with either of these (i.e. Fuel consumption, burn
            > > time
            > > > etc).
            > > > Or, does anyone have a favorite one they can recommend?
            > > > Trying to keep it under $100.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks in advance.
            > > >
            > > > Todd.

          • hmdsierra
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
              Sounds like you eat similar to me on the trail, with the mention of a
              frypan. Since I learned how to trail cook I rarely have any cravings
              even on very long trips. I met and spent a few nights with a couple
              guys a few years ago. They were preparing their freeze dried meal but
              looked longingly at my red Beans and Rice. They also gladly took a
              Pop-Tart and some slices of fried Spam. It takes a bit longer and
              requires a bit more cooking equipment and some dish washing but i eat
              well.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <jmaddog1082@...> wrote:

              > I too am in the process of selecting a lightweight stove, but I
              haven't finalized my decission yet. I narrowed my search down to two
              MSR products: the Pocket Rocket and the Superfly. While the weights
              are close, the Superfly is bulkier which limits storing it inside a
              small cookpot w/ canister. However becasue of the Superfly's larger
              diameter burner, flame distribution is better over the bottom of the
              pot (reducing hot spots in theory) .

              > I wouldn't consider myself an on-trail gourmet, but I do like to
              prepare more than just boil water. I've learned of some comparrisons,
              but I still haven't arrived at a final choice yet.

              > Does anyone in the forum have experience with both? Also, is the
              focused flame of the PR vs. the broader flame of the SF really an
              issue in such applications as a fry pan?

              > Thanks in advance for your input,
              > John

              > ---- "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:
              > > I use the Optimus Crux. It weighs approximately 3 oz. and does a
              great
              > > job. It has an adjustable flame, so it can simmer if you need it
              to. It
              > > costs around 70.00. One of the neat things about this stove is
              that it
              > > folds nearly flat and will store in the bottom of a canister in its
              > > case. So it will nest in any pot large enough for the canister to fit
              > > in.
              > > Jim
              > >
              > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "t_b_sharp" <t_b_sharp@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I'm looking at the MSR Pocket Rocket or the MSR Windpro. Does
              anyone
              > > > have experience with either of these (i.e. Fuel consumption, burn
              > > time
              > > > etc).
              > > > Or, does anyone have a favorite one they can recommend?
              > > > Trying to keep it under $100.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks in advance.
              > > >
              > > > Todd.

            • Carol
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
                I like my Snowpeak Gigapower stove, it fits inside my MSR Titan Kettle
                or Snowpeak mug, and it's never failed me.

                wrote:

                > I'm looking at the MSR Pocket Rocket or the MSR Windpro. Does anyone
                > have experience with either of these (i.e. Fuel consumption, burn
                time
                > etc).
                > Or, does anyone have a favorite one they can recommend?
                > Trying to keep it under $100.
                >
                > Thanks in advance.
                >
                > Todd.

              • Steve Schauer
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
                  We're all about eating well, too! We use our jetboil,
                  and bring a little fry pan, too. Here are some good
                  ideas for trail food:
                  http://www.johnmuirtrail.org/meals.html
                  I even put some recipe links. I'm dehydrating fruit
                  right now for our summer hiking.
                  Claire

                • hmdsierra
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
                    I dried fruit and frozen vegetables, french cut green beans. When we
                    lived in Bakersfield there was plenty of solar power for drying. Here
                    in Oregon is a different story. I made many of my meas from the
                    grocery store, Rice & Sauce, Pasta & Sauce. Many of the packages have
                    recipes on the box you can use. I would take a can of chicken, ham,
                    Spam or corned beef. Corned beef and drie hash browns make a fine
                    hash. Potatos Au Gratin with a can of ham is a good meal. Always had
                    plenty of bread, bisquit mix realy, of various ingredients, whole
                    wheat, cornmeal, oatmeal. We always eat well. My son worked for the
                    Forest Service a couple of years ago and made a couple of overnight
                    hikes for the job. His companions were impressed with the Rocky Roak
                    Pie.

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Steve Schauer <clairehiker@...>