Re: They Keep Shrinking: Smaller & Lighter PLB From DME

  • charliepolecat
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 9, 2011
      This desire to be 'found' whilst in the mountains seems to defy the purpose.
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 9, 2011
        Charlie, sometimes one's purposes changes from (a) being in the mountains to (b) staying alive.

        The one JMT hike I remember when a Spot 911 message went out (discussed by someone in the Yahoo group [I read about it when I was a member of the SEKI  hiking Yahoo Group] and I met a ranger who was familiar with the emergency), the Spot was used because one of the JMT hikers had an appendectomy.  Because of the Spot, he did get on the operating table within 12 hours.  The doctors told him he'd have probably died if he had not been operated on so fast.

        For only 3 ounces of insurance, it's not going to weigh people down too much.

        I agree, it should not be used unless its for a real emergency purpose and such emergencies should not be due to stupidity (or minimally due to stupidity).

        Roleigh

        Visit Roleigh's Google Profile
        _

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 9, 2011
            Roleigh,

            When I'm in the mountains - and just about anywhere else - I'm like Garbo; I just want to be alone. And I have enough self assurance when I'm off on my own that I do not need a security blanket.

            Although, I'm happy that the number of hikers who clog the permit office each year seem to indicate there are many in todays', 'Connected World' that are willing to forgo the comforts of Best Buy and trek out into the wilderness, even of they have to lug a 3 oz. 'help' device with them to do it. :-)