Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: December on the JMT

  • John
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 2011
      The 11th essential:  Ice Skates

      On Dec 8, 2011, at 12:34 PM, "John" <johndittli@...> wrote:

      Yes, we do this often. First we make careful observation from shore, then measure the ice thickness. Then we carefully skate the lake looking for weaknesses.

      We also carry self evacuation picks around our necks as well as having a rope throw bags on, or nearby. Also dry cloths in the backpacks on shore.

      Here's a longer movie that shows measuring the ice and some fun skating in Humpherys Basin (above the JMT) that I did a couple of years ago. http://youtu.be/-EG7kLjpzsM

      JD