Re: [John Muir Trail] New Stove

  • Tom Aterno
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2008
      I use a Pocket Rocket. Lots of BTUs is the upside. Downsides are
      unstable pot holder and minimal windscreen. Just be careful with ur
      pot and bring an aluminum foil windscreen. I also have a Jetboil stove
      and I prefer the PR.

      Tom "The Incredible Bulk" Aterno

      On Apr 4, 2008, at 1:02 PM, t_b_sharp wrote:

      > I'm looking at the MSR Pocket Rocket or the MSR Windpro. Does anyone
      > have experience with either of these (i.e. Fuel consumption, burn time
      > etc).
      > Or, does anyone have a favorite one they can recommend?
      > Trying to keep it under $100.
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      >
      > Todd.

    • Steve Schauer
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2008
        We used the jetboil and it was great. The self
        igniter didn't work, so bring matches. I recommend
        storm-proof as they work well in the wind.
        --- t_b_sharp <t_b_sharp@...> wrote:

        > I'm looking at the MSR Pocket Rocket or the MSR
        > Windpro. Does anyone
        > have experience with either of these (i.e. Fuel
        > consumption, burn time
        > etc).
        > Or, does anyone have a favorite one they can
        > recommend?
        > Trying to keep it under $100.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Todd.

      • jim.ennis
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 4, 2008
          I use the Optimus Crux. It weighs approximately 3 oz. and does a great
          job. It has an adjustable flame, so it can simmer if you need it to. It
          costs around 70.00. One of the neat things about this stove is that it
          folds nearly flat and will store in the bottom of a canister in its
          case. So it will nest in any pot large enough for the canister to fit
          in.
          Jim

        • jmaddog1082@charter.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 5, 2008
            I too am in the process of selecting a lightweight stove, but I haven't finalized my decission yet. I narrowed my search down to two MSR products: the Pocket Rocket and the Superfly. While the weights are close, the Superfly is bulkier which limits storing it inside a small cookpot w/ canister. However becasue of the Superfly's larger diameter burner, flame distribution is better over the bottom of the pot (reducing hot spots in theory) .

            I wouldn't consider myself an on-trail gourmet, but I do like to prepare more than just boil water. I've learned of some comparrisons, but I still haven't arrived at a final choice yet.

            Does anyone in the forum have experience with both? Also, is the focused flame of the PR vs. the broader flame of the SF really an issue in such applications as a fry pan?

            Thanks in advance for your input,
            John

            ---- "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:
            > I use the Optimus Crux. It weighs approximately 3 oz. and does a great
            > job. It has an adjustable flame, so it can simmer if you need it to. It
            > costs around 70.00. One of the neat things about this stove is that it
            > folds nearly flat and will store in the bottom of a canister in its
            > case. So it will nest in any pot large enough for the canister to fit
            > in.
            > Jim
            >
            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "t_b_sharp" <t_b_sharp@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm looking at the MSR Pocket Rocket or the MSR Windpro. Does anyone
            > > have experience with either of these (i.e. Fuel consumption, burn
            > time
            > > etc).
            > > Or, does anyone have a favorite one they can recommend?
            > > Trying to keep it under $100.
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance.
            > >
            > > Todd.

          • Tom Aterno
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 5, 2008
              Our PR did a good job heating up tasty melted cheese tortillas in a
              nonstick pan north of Agnew Meadows. Through the flame pattern is
              small, my son and I were able to work around it, and we never scorched
              any food. it is a good stove, and I would bring it again when cooking
              for two or more.

              That being said, and after reviewing my base pack weight, for this
              season I am looking for a lighter alternative, such as an alcohol
              stove. The Caldera Cone looks promising. It incorporates a wind
              screen fitted to a specific pot. There is even a Ti version, which
              should be more durable.
              http://traildesigns.com/products01.html#caldera

              Tom KI6ASP

              On Apr 5, 2008, at 12:16 PM, <jmaddog1082@...> wrote:

              > I too am in the process of selecting a lightweight stove, but I
              > haven't finalized my decission yet. I narrowed my search down to two
              > MSR products: the Pocket Rocket and the Superfly. While the weights
              > are close, the Superfly is bulkier which limits storing it inside a
              > small cookpot w/ canister. However becasue of the Superfly's larger
              > diameter burner, flame distribution is better over the bottom of the
              > pot (reducing hot spots in theory) .
              >
              > I wouldn't consider myself an on-trail gourmet, but I do like to
              > prepare more than just boil water. I've learned of some comparrisons,
              > but I still haven't arrived at a final choice yet.
              >
              > Does anyone in the forum have experience with both? Also, is the
              > focused flame of the PR vs. the broader flame of the SF really an
              > issue in such applications as a fry pan?
              >
              > Thanks in advance for your input,
              > John

              > ---- "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:
              > > I use the Optimus Crux. It weighs approximately 3 oz. and does a
              > great
              > > job. It has an adjustable flame, so it can simmer if you need it
              > to. It
              > > costs around 70.00. One of the neat things about this stove is that
              > it
              > > folds nearly flat and will store in the bottom of a canister in its
              > > case. So it will nest in any pot large enough for the canister to
              > fit
              > > in.
              > > Jim
              > >
              > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "t_b_sharp" <t_b_sharp@...>
              > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I'm looking at the MSR Pocket Rocket or the MSR Windpro. Does
              > anyone
              > > > have experience with either of these (i.e. Fuel consumption, burn
              > > time
              > > > etc).
              > > > Or, does anyone have a favorite one they can recommend?
              > > > Trying to keep it under $100.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks in advance.
              > > >
              > > > Todd.

            • hmdsierra
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
                Sounds like you eat similar to me on the trail, with the mention of a
                frypan. Since I learned how to trail cook I rarely have any cravings
                even on very long trips. I met and spent a few nights with a couple
                guys a few years ago. They were preparing their freeze dried meal but
                looked longingly at my red Beans and Rice. They also gladly took a
                Pop-Tart and some slices of fried Spam. It takes a bit longer and
                requires a bit more cooking equipment and some dish washing but i eat
                well.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <jmaddog1082@...> wrote:

                > I too am in the process of selecting a lightweight stove, but I
                haven't finalized my decission yet. I narrowed my search down to two
                MSR products: the Pocket Rocket and the Superfly. While the weights
                are close, the Superfly is bulkier which limits storing it inside a
                small cookpot w/ canister. However becasue of the Superfly's larger
                diameter burner, flame distribution is better over the bottom of the
                pot (reducing hot spots in theory) .

                > I wouldn't consider myself an on-trail gourmet, but I do like to
                prepare more than just boil water. I've learned of some comparrisons,
                but I still haven't arrived at a final choice yet.

                > Does anyone in the forum have experience with both? Also, is the
                focused flame of the PR vs. the broader flame of the SF really an
                issue in such applications as a fry pan?

                > Thanks in advance for your input,
                > John

                > ---- "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:
                > > I use the Optimus Crux. It weighs approximately 3 oz. and does a
                great
                > > job. It has an adjustable flame, so it can simmer if you need it
                to. It
                > > costs around 70.00. One of the neat things about this stove is
                that it
                > > folds nearly flat and will store in the bottom of a canister in its
                > > case. So it will nest in any pot large enough for the canister to fit
                > > in.
                > > Jim
                > >
                > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "t_b_sharp" <t_b_sharp@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I'm looking at the MSR Pocket Rocket or the MSR Windpro. Does
                anyone
                > > > have experience with either of these (i.e. Fuel consumption, burn
                > > time
                > > > etc).
                > > > Or, does anyone have a favorite one they can recommend?
                > > > Trying to keep it under $100.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks in advance.
                > > >
                > > > Todd.

              • Carol
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
                  I like my Snowpeak Gigapower stove, it fits inside my MSR Titan Kettle
                  or Snowpeak mug, and it's never failed me.

                  wrote:

                  > I'm looking at the MSR Pocket Rocket or the MSR Windpro. Does anyone
                  > have experience with either of these (i.e. Fuel consumption, burn
                  time
                  > etc).
                  > Or, does anyone have a favorite one they can recommend?
                  > Trying to keep it under $100.
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance.
                  >
                  > Todd.

                • Steve Schauer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
                    We're all about eating well, too! We use our jetboil,
                    and bring a little fry pan, too. Here are some good
                    ideas for trail food:
                    http://www.johnmuirtrail.org/meals.html
                    I even put some recipe links. I'm dehydrating fruit
                    right now for our summer hiking.
                    Claire

                  • hmdsierra
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
                      I dried fruit and frozen vegetables, french cut green beans. When we
                      lived in Bakersfield there was plenty of solar power for drying. Here
                      in Oregon is a different story. I made many of my meas from the
                      grocery store, Rice & Sauce, Pasta & Sauce. Many of the packages have
                      recipes on the box you can use. I would take a can of chicken, ham,
                      Spam or corned beef. Corned beef and drie hash browns make a fine
                      hash. Potatos Au Gratin with a can of ham is a good meal. Always had
                      plenty of bread, bisquit mix realy, of various ingredients, whole
                      wheat, cornmeal, oatmeal. We always eat well. My son worked for the
                      Forest Service a couple of years ago and made a couple of overnight
                      hikes for the job. His companions were impressed with the Rocky Roak
                      Pie.

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Steve Schauer <clairehiker@...>