RE: [John Muir Trail] December on the JMT

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 2011
      John,

       I am reminded of Rutger Hauer's great soliloquy, near the end of Blade Runner, where he goes on about the fantastical  things he's seen and done "I've seen things" . . . but he forgot to mention skating on Garnet Lake. FANTASTIC!

      BOB

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: johndittli@...
      Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 19:15:34 +0000
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] December on the JMT

      Hi all. I thought some of you might be interested in December conditions along a segment of the JMT from Thousand Island to Shadow Lake: Cold and snowy.

      Here's a very short video clip I took yesterday.

      JD
      www.johndittli.com

    • John
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 8, 2011
        Yes, we do this often. First we make careful observation from shore, then measure the ice thickness. Then we carefully skate the lake looking for weaknesses.

        We also carry self evacuation picks around our necks as well as having a rope throw bags on, or nearby. Also dry cloths in the backpacks on shore.

        Here's a longer movie that shows measuring the ice and some fun skating in Humpherys Basin (above the JMT) that I did a couple of years ago. http://youtu.be/-EG7kLjpzsM

        JD
        www.johndittli.com

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "charliepolecat" <kennethjessett@...> wrote:

        > Very nice John. I suppose you've done this before so knew there was no danger going through the ice?

      • John
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 8, 2011
          The 11th essential:  Ice Skates