December on the JMT

  • John
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 2011
      Hi all. I thought some of you might be interested in December conditions along a segment of the JMT from Thousand Island to Shadow Lake: Cold and snowy.

      Here's a very short video clip I took yesterday.

      JD
      www.johndittli.com
    • charliepolecat
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 8, 2011
        Very nice John. I suppose you've done this before so knew there was no danger going through the ice?
      • robert shattuck
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 8, 2011
          John,

           I am reminded of Rutger Hauer's great soliloquy, near the end of Blade Runner, where he goes on about the fantastical  things he's seen and done "I've seen things" . . . but he forgot to mention skating on Garnet Lake. FANTASTIC!

          BOB

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 8, 2011
            Yes, we do this often. First we make careful observation from shore, then measure the ice thickness. Then we carefully skate the lake looking for weaknesses.

            We also carry self evacuation picks around our necks as well as having a rope throw bags on, or nearby. Also dry cloths in the backpacks on shore.

            Here's a longer movie that shows measuring the ice and some fun skating in Humpherys Basin (above the JMT) that I did a couple of years ago. http://youtu.be/-EG7kLjpzsM

            JD
            www.johndittli.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 8, 2011