Tioga Road in Yosemite National Park to Reopen (2011)

  • Kim Fishburn
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2011
      http://www.nps.gov/yose/parknews/tiogaopenagain11.htm
    • John Kays
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2011
        I thought it was closed in winter anyway. Why the effort to open it following this windstorm?

        Sent from my I Pad
      • John
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 8, 2011
          The new superintendent is into keeping the road open later and opening it earlier. The trees were removed now because it facilitates an easier opening in the spring (it's no good when a rotary plow runs into a buried tree).

          JD
          www.johndittli.com

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John Kays <jkays@...> wrote:

          > I thought it was closed in winter anyway. Why the effort to open it following this windstorm?
          >
          > Sent from my I Pad

        • Kim Fishburn
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 8, 2011
            With about 75 trees down on the road and there isn't much snow on it, it is better to clear it now (mainly for the trees) than to wait till May when the trees would be covered with 10 feet of snow. Then they wouldn't find them till the snow blowers would hit them, and possibly break the snow blowers.