Re: Thru-hikes are expensive

  • John
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 6, 2011
      And the electricity/gas your not using etc.....

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John <jmaddog1082@...> wrote:

      > Whether you're on the trail or at home, you would still be eating, right?
      >
      > Therefore, you could realistically deduct another $200 or so for the food and drink you listed. Sure, eating at home is more economical, so you should only count the food cost "differential" to get a better estimate.

    • charliepolecat
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 6, 2011
        I suspect for most of us not living in California, the greatest expense is getting there.

        Air fares, parking, buses/trains, etc. all mount up, which is why this tends to be a once in a life time trip.

        And it doesn't help that the cost of such items as renting the bearikade and stashing resupplies at the JMT ranch are considerable. And yes I know everyone has to make a living, I'm just saying.

        And when I leave my house, my wife still has the A/C and lights on so we still pay for utilities and such.

        It's a little amusing when some say it's just a few hundred dollars to hike the trail.