Just off the JMT-Lake Catherine area

  • kneecreak
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2011
      We're thinking of a hike next summer from Thousand Island Lake over Glacier Pass then cross country across the N Fork of the San Joaquin, moving south to pick up the trail over Isberg Pass and into Yosemite. Is anyone familiar with the conditions and route finding challenges on the xc portion? Using the shuttle from Yosemite to Mammoth, this has the potential for an interesting non-supported trip.
    • Kim Fishburn
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2011
        Maybe you're taking a route further north, but a couple times I've hiked from Hemlock Crossing west to meet up with the trail to Isberg Pass. I took the trail from the crossing up the side of the valley. When the trail headed south away from the creek I followed the creek till it turned to the north. I then headed due west. The cross country is all forested with no views so you'll need to follow your compass. Its pretty easy. The Harrison map shows a trail heading up toward Sadler Peak. I've never seen it and doubt it exist, or is shown too long. I did a quick search and found this website that has a picture taken from near Isberg Pass looking toward the Minarets  http://www.bytwerk.com/sierra/2007plan.htm

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2011
          I've been through what is locally known as "Catherine Col" (not sure if maybe the same as "Glacier Pass") a few times.

          Pretty straight forward from 1000 Is. up to the col, mostly slick rock and meadow. Some talus up top. It can be tricky dropping down into the N. Fk. It's steep and you can get cliffed out. You can avoid this by trending up canyon toward Twin Is Lake as you descend.

          From Twin Island I have only been down the N Fk once. I remember it being slightly tricky as well until you hit the trail well below the lake. We may have missed it.

          I've never been to Isberg from the lower NF drainage, but from the upper via Blue Canyon as well as the Lyell Fk of the Merced; spectacular country.

          You can PM me if you would like more info.

          JD
          www.johndittli.com