Re: [John Muir Trail] Plans for this summer's trip

  • e1705email
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2008
      Thank you for writing!

      I realized my mistake right away when reading your response. I will
      resupply in Independence, not Lone Pine! That is the city down for
      Onion Valley. With this new plan I will just avoid Whitney entirely.
      I will check out your suggestions on the DeLorme Topo later tonight.
      If I remember correctly, it will only be a total of an extra 10 trail
      miles to resupply when hiking out and coming back from Onion Valley -
      plus the hitchhiking.

      Aloha,

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
      wrote:

      > The only thing you might want to consider is that when you get to
      Whitney Portal, going back up and over Whitney Pass is a killer. It
      is about 72-80 miles (I forget which figure is correct) from WP to
      Crescent Meadows. An alternative that would be easier to do after
      the resupply is to re-enter the trail at Horseshoe Meadows Trailhead
      or Cottonwood Meadows Trailhead (I forget which, they are both at the
      end of this road, one points NorthWest, the other points West) (you
      can easily get a ride from Lone PIne to the Trail Head, and you'll be
      starting at 10,000 feet. You could then take the Northwest route to
      get on the PCT and rejoin the High Sierra Trail (we did that in 2007
      for our round trip then on the High Sierra Trail), or you could start
      at the alternate trailhead that heads due West and go 18 miles to
      Kern Canyon Ranger Station (there is a suspension bridge that goes
      over the Kern River there) and then up 9 miles to connect to the High
      Sierra Trail at that point
      > (we did the reverse route last summer).
      >
      > This would save you 1-2 days of hiking at this point and would save
      you going backup over Whitney (there is also the hassle of getting
      the permit to go over the Whitney Pass from Whitney Portal too).

      > If this interests you at all, I could research which pass is which
      that goes NorthWest or Due West from the end of that Trailhead.