Plans for this summer's trip

  • e1705email
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3 8:41 PM
      Hi,

      I enjoyed reading the replies about pack selection and bear cans.

      FWIW, here is my current plan for the Aug 4 departure from Happy
      Isles. Instead of coming out at Whitney Portal and having to work
      back around to San Francisco (or Yosemite), I am going to continue
      south on the High Sierra trail and finish at Crescent Meadow. This
      way I'm on the same side as the entry point and should work to get
      back to SF. Either side would have worked, but adding a section of
      trail never seen before was to inviting. Read too many stories and
      saw too many pictures of the good fishing in the Kern river. Haven't
      trout fished for over 30 years.

      The original alloted 30 days should be plenty with lots of time for
      fishing. The Wilderness Center had no problem in changing the exit
      location, though they must get tired when making too many changes.
      Resupply at stores in Tuolemne, Red's and Lone Pine. Packages mailed
      to Red's and Lone Pine. Check hiker's box at Muir Trail Ranch. This
      breaks the trip up somewhat evenly, though it means a trip out at
      Kearsarge. The trip out could be done in a long day if things go
      smoothly. I did this once over 35 years ago to jettison some extra
      weight. Problem was I got stuck in Onion Valley after the last car
      descended. Had to spend the night at 9,000 feet with no pad, bag or
      tent. Laid in a ditch all night with the wind whipping the grass
      above my body. Difficult experiences - good lessons.

      The pack I will be using is an external frame Kelty trekker with the
      bag taken off. With additional straps on the frame, I just lash
      various large (homemade) stuff sacks on the back in what ever
      position feels comfortable. For access to things needed on the trail,
      I have a front pack that is mounted to buckles on the shoulder straps
      and bungeed back to the bottom posts of the frame. Easy on and off.
      This carries a couple liters of water/juice, GPS, MP3 player, rain
      cover/ponch, leggings, all toiletries, snacks, lights, etc. It has
      velcro and bungee cord on it to strap the trekking poles to when
      needing free hands or just tired of using them. This also serves as
      the 'get away' bag. Everything valuable is in it, with some food. In
      an emergency / rush, this is the one thing to grab (and some shoes).

      For really wet conditions I use kayaking dry bags as the stuff sacks.
      Everything stays dry and if you have to swim a crossing, the whole
      pack floats, with the hip belt and anything on top staying dry.

      This pack arrangment also works well as a day bag. Strip everything
      off but what is needed, and is quite light, but still comfortable.

      This last weekend had to lash my wife's pack on top of my things for
      the final 3 miles in, as she couldn't make it otherwise. 5 year old
      daughter was able to do 19 miles over 2 days.

      This has proved to be a very versatile setup at a relatively small
      weight penalty, and was inexpensive. Fine for 10+ miles a day.

      Still haven't decided on either the new Bear Vault (BV500 - I hear
      they are redesigning the lid) when it becomes available later in
      April or the Bearikade Expedition.

      This is kind of a long post. Maybe it would be better to do a journal
      entry on another site - the only problem being that there will be no
      journaling once the trip starts.

      Bought the Tom Harrison maps today.

      Thanks for all the great posts. It is interesting to hear what others
      are doing.

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3 8:58 PM
        The only thing you might want to consider is that when you get to Whitney Portal, going back up and over Whitney Pass is a killer. It is about 72-80 miles (I forget which figure is correct) from WP to Crescent Meadows. An alternative that would be easier to do after the resupply is to re-enter the trail at Horseshoe Meadows Trailhead or Cottonwood Meadows Trailhead (I forget which, they are both at the end of this road, one points NorthWest, the other points West) (you can easily get a ride from Lone PIne to the Trail Head, and you'll be starting at 10,000 feet. You could then take the Northwest route to get on the PCT and rejoin the High Sierra Trail (we did that in 2007 for our round trip then on the High Sierra Trail), or you could start at the alternate trailhead that heads due West and go 18 miles to Kern Canyon Ranger Station (there is a suspension bridge that goes over the Kern River there) and then up 9 miles to connect to the High Sierra Trail at that point
        (we did the reverse route last summer).

        This would save you 1-2 days of hiking at this point and would save you going backup over Whitney (there is also the hassle of getting the permit to go over the Whitney Pass from Whitney Portal too).

        If this interests you at all, I could research which pass is which that goes NorthWest or Due West from the end of that Trailhead.

        e1705email <df@...> wrote: Hi,

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3 9:55 PM
          Thank you for writing!

          I realized my mistake right away when reading your response. I will
          resupply in Independence, not Lone Pine! That is the city down for
          Onion Valley. With this new plan I will just avoid Whitney entirely.
          I will check out your suggestions on the DeLorme Topo later tonight.
          If I remember correctly, it will only be a total of an extra 10 trail
          miles to resupply when hiking out and coming back from Onion Valley -
          plus the hitchhiking.

          Aloha,

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>