Re: Backpack Advice

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 2, 2008
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "hewhohikesalot" <hewhohikes@...>
      wrote:

      > I'm thinking of doing a ten day trip on the JMT and was wondering
      what
      > kind of backpack to get that would be big enough to contain a
      > expedition bearikade (14" long and 9" round). I'm looking for
      > something reasonably light and about 3000+ cubic inches in volume.
      Any
      > advice would be appreciated.
      > Thanks.

      I used the same bear canister in 2006 on the JMT. My pack of choice is
      the ULA Circuit. As Roliegh mentioned the canister has to go in
      verticaly. I actualy prefer this method as the first things in the
      pack are my sleeping pad and bag. On to of these goes the bear
      canister. What I like about that is, I like to eat on the trail all day
      and this puts the lid of the canister right on top! Right at my
      fingertips. I never felt that it was unbalanced. I also love the
      waistbelt pockets on the ULA packs.
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 2, 2008
        Fred, can you please detail very specifically how you packed your backpack with the Expedition? I presume you had it positioned vertically (sitting at the bottom of the pack or if not, what was beneath it)? What did you have to the left and right side of the cannister in your bag? Was there anything on the pad-foam side of the pack (between it and the cannister)? Was there anything on the farthest-from-skin rear-fabric (between it and the cannister)? What was your base pack weight (total weight including everything but water and food that is inside the cannister or inside the pack but do include the weight of the cannister)? Thanks!

      • Fred Sharples
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 2, 2008
          Yes, the canister will only fit vertically in that pack.
          I had a sleeping bag underneath the canister.
          I had various clothing on the sides and a plastic origami(flat) dinner bowl
          on the rear outside top edge to keep it from chafing.
          It wound up chafing some but I also had an ice axe because it was early
          June..That caused most of the chafing against the canister.

          You can check out a super detailed pack list with weights in oz here..
          http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p4CfkufA0dTnkIUlma_JYVw

          I thought it was a great setup and I would do it again with the same pack
          and canister.
          It's my favorite pack ever. It was probably the most popular pack on the PCT
          last year.
          Many people bought them after a few hundred miles of dealing with home made
          and other packs.
          (I'm not a rep of granite gear but I must sound like one ;))
          As far as canisters go, you might be able to get away with their smaller
          version for 10 days solo. That big one is big.

          have a great trip.
          -quake

          On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:

          > Fred, can you please detail very specifically how you packed your
          > backpack with the Expedition? I presume you had it positioned vertically
          > (sitting at the bottom of the pack or if not, what was beneath it)? What did
          > you have to the left and right side of the cannister in your bag? Was there
          > anything on the pad-foam side of the pack (between it and the cannister)?
          > Was there anything on the farthest-from-skin rear-fabric (between it and the
          > cannister)? What was your base pack weight (total weight including
          > everything but water and food that is inside the cannister or inside the
          > pack but do include the weight of the cannister)? Thanks!

          Orange Design Inc.
          Games - Tech - Art
          2601 Mission Street #800
          San Francisco, CA 94110
          415.643.4465 - Studio
          415.722.6442 - Mobile
          http://orangedesign.com

        • dh5169
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 2, 2008
            I can say from experience that the Expedition does not fit
            horizontally in an Osprey Crescent 75. I traded it back (rental) for
            2 weekenders - one for my pack and on for my wife's (Luna 70). I
            didn't like the weight distribution in my pack of the fully loaded
            expedition when positioning it vertically. So, I traded it back
            (rental) for 2 weekenders - one for me and one for the wife!! (OK, so
            I took the tent and some other items to make it a fair swap).

            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 2, 2008
              Fred, your Waypoints Spreadsheet is fantastic.

              Looks on the surface like you followed the 21 day plan of Cicerone.

              What happened regarding dates of each campsight? After 6/14/2007, the next date is labeled "3". Then there is another date labeled "5 6". Care to elucidate?

              Did you do the whole hike in one year or two years (split up to explain the date enumeration change)?

              My only beaf with the Vapor Trail is the lack of stays but I figured out how to put stays in them making the pack about 2'10oz -- a little lighter than the 3lb Ozone. It definitely is a prime candidate for my hike.

              Did you ever use the Ice Axe or if going in Late July thru mid August would you skip the Ice Axe? I saw you never used the crampons. I do have two hiking poles to help in snow, ice, etc.

              Fred Sharples <fred@...> wrote: Yes, the canister will only fit vertically in that pack.
              I had a sleeping bag underneath the canister.
              I had various clothing on the sides and a plastic origami(flat) dinner bowl
              on the rear outside top edge to keep it from chafing.
              It wound up chafing some but I also had an ice axe because it was early
              June..That caused most of the chafing against the canister.

              You can check out a super detailed pack list with weights in oz here..
              http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p4CfkufA0dTnkIUlma_JYVw

              I thought it was a great setup and I would do it again with the same pack
              and canister.
              It's my favorite pack ever. It was probably the most popular pack on the PCT
              last year.
              Many people bought them after a few hundred miles of dealing with home made
              and other packs.
              (I'm not a rep of granite gear but I must sound like one ;))
              As far as canisters go, you might be able to get away with their smaller
              version for 10 days solo. That big one is big.

              have a great trip.
              -quake

              On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:

              > Fred, can you please detail very specifically how you packed your
              > backpack with the Expedition? I presume you had it positioned vertically
              > (sitting at the bottom of the pack or if not, what was beneath it)? What did
              > you have to the left and right side of the cannister in your bag? Was there
              > anything on the pad-foam side of the pack (between it and the cannister)?
              > Was there anything on the farthest-from-skin rear-fabric (between it and the
              > cannister)? What was your base pack weight (total weight including
              > everything but water and food that is inside the cannister or inside the
              > pack but do include the weight of the cannister)? Thanks!

              Orange Design Inc.
              Games - Tech - Art
              2601 Mission Street #800
              San Francisco, CA 94110
              415.643.4465 - Studio
              415.722.6442 - Mobile
              http://orangedesign.com

            • Kevin Aston
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
                I like it too Fred. Looks just like the one on my website at
                http://kevinaston.com/JMTSpreadsheet.html

> [...]
                >
                > On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Fred, can you please detail very specifically how you packed your
                > > backpack with the Expedition? I presume you had it positioned
                vertically
                > > (sitting at the bottom of the pack or if not, what was beneath
                it)? What did
                > > you have to the left and right side of the cannister in your bag?
                Was there
                > > anything on the pad-foam side of the pack (between it and the
                cannister)?
                > > Was there anything on the farthest-from-skin rear-fabric (between
                it and the
                > > cannister)? What was your base pack weight (total weight including
                > > everything but water and food that is inside the cannister or
                inside the
                > > pack but do include the weight of the cannister)? Thanks!

              • Fred Sharples
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
                  Yes, it's true, those are a copy of Kevin's waypoints!

                  I edited Kevin's waypoints and added them to a google spreadsheet as a tab
                  on the far edge of the doc. I didn't mean to 'publish' them as mine. (I
                  didn't know they were going up in this doc) So now I see it is a reference
                  without credit and for that I apologize to Kevin.

                  The Google Earth file that I created and edited using Kevin's waypoints is
                  on Kevin's site and mine too.
                  http://kevinaston.com/files/JMT.KMZ

                  To everyone on this list: Kevin has been a huge help to all of us on the
                  list and by no means do I want to take credit for all the hard work Kevin
                  has done putting the waypoints together.

                  Kevin has advised me with some of the planning of my trip and I really
                  treasure his thoughtful posts here on the list and his commitment to the
                  trail.

                  Also, please don't depend on my version of the waypoints or my Google Earth
                  file for on-the-trail navigation. I edited them to work with Google Earth
                  and not for use on the ground.

                  PS Kevin, I put a credit and disclaimer up there.
                  Let me me know if that's ok.
                  Your friend,
                  Fred(Quake)

                  Orange Design Inc.
                  Games - Tech - Art
                  2601 Mission Street #800
                  San Francisco, CA 94110
                  415.643.4465 - Studio
                  415.722.6442 - Mobile
                  http://orangedesign.com

                • Kevin Aston
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 5, 2008
                    No Problem Fred. I did not create the list of places, distances, and
                    altitudes, I borrowed them from somebody's log about 3 1/2 years ago,
                    I don't know where I got them. I came up with the Waypoints using
                    Garmin's MapSource. As I was following them on the real trail, I found
                    that some were right on, others were a hundred yards off. I am sure
                    some of that was the accuracy of my Rino 530, but much of it was my
                    looks good placement of the waypoints, and the actual accuracy of the
                    software. MapSource had several errors I found as I hiked. My weakness
                    in choosing equipment is my desire for electronic gadgets on the
                    trip. Between camera, lens, hand-held radio, GPS, electronic water
                    purifier, batteries, and cel-phone to call from the top of Whitney I
                    load myself down an extra couple of pounds. However my water Purifier
                    the MSR MIOX Water Purifier, weighs a lot less than a pump, so that is
                    not really an extra.

                    Planning is almost as fun as hiking.
                    Kevin Aston

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Sharples" <fred@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > June..That caused most of the chafing against the canister.
                    > > >
                    > > > You can check out a super detailed pack list with weights in oz
                    here..
                    > > > http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p4CfkufA0dTnkIUlma_JYVw
                    > > >
                    > > > I thought it was a great setup and I would do it again with the
                    > > same pack
                    > > > and canister.
                    > > > It's my favorite pack ever. It was probably the most popular pack
                    > > on the PCT
                    > > > last year.
                    > > > Many people bought them after a few hundred miles of dealing with
                    > > home made
                    > > > and other packs.
                    > > > (I'm not a rep of granite gear but I must sound like one ;))
                    > > > As far as canisters go, you might be able to get away with their
                    > > smaller
                    > > > version for 10 days solo. That big one is big.

                  • beemancron
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 5, 2008
                      My favorite packs are made by Gossamer Gear. Three years ago, I used a Mariposa Plus
                      and an Expedition on a 9 day scout trip. The challenge was not so much as how the
                      Expedition fit in the pack (Vertical) but how to pack 9 days of food into 900 cuin. Teaching
                      this skill to scouts was also a challenge. :)

                      On my JMT thru hike this year, leaving July 13, I am using the same Mariposa Plus and a
                      Bearvault 400. I have a choice of strapping it on top of the pack or storing vertical inside
                      the pack. With the options of multiple resupply locations: Reds, VVR, Muir Ranch, I just
                      don't see a need to carry 9 days of food in 900 cuins. Too much weight!

                      My newly adopted thru-hiker slogan: "When the weight goes down, the fun goes up" :)

                      Beeman

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "hewhohikesalot" <hewhohikes@...> wrote:

                      > I'm thinking of doing a ten day trip on the JMT and was wondering what
                      > kind of backpack to get that would be big enough to contain a
                      > expedition bearikade (14" long and 9" round). I'm looking for
                      > something reasonably light and about 3000+ cubic inches in volume. Any
                      > advice would be appreciated.
                      > Thanks.

                    • rambler4466
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                        I use the pack made by Moonbow Gear. This pack will easily accomadte a Bear Canister
                        either horizontally or vertically. I carry my gear in three nylon dry bags from Camp Inn.
                        Two are 10 L bags for clothes, gear, and sleeping bag. One is 19L for food. The food bag
                        will be replaced by the canister when hiking the JMT. If two bags are equal in weight, I
                        pack two vertically with the sleeping bag horizontal across the top.
                        Otherwise I carry all three horizontal with the heaviest bag (canister) (food) in the middle.
                        My sleeping bag (homemade quilt) is down, so I like it on top, not on the bottom, so it will
                        not be crushed or compacted. The pack has a mesh pocket on the outside for a tarp,
                        raingear and misc.

                        > I have the Expedition cannister myself and will be on the JMT for 16-17 days this
                        summer. I will be comparing the use of this cannister with a variety of pack options
                        myself:

                        > 1. with a Granite Gear Ozone (3 pounds)
                        > 2. with a Granite Gear Vapor Trail (2 pounds)
                        > 3. with a LuxuryLite Frame Backpack (weighs under 2 pounds)
                        > 4. with a Osprey Aether 60 pack
                        > 5. with a SixMoonDesigns's Starlight pack (weighs under 2 pounds)
                        >
                        > The only one of the five above that it fits horizontally is on the LuxuryLite pack, the
                        others it has to stack vertically in the bag which is a bummer, as there is slack space
                        around the cylinder and what do you stack alongside the cylinder as you kind of want the
                        cylinder to be dead center in pack (centered left-to-right that is).

                        > I don't know at this point which one I'm going to like best with the cylinder.
                        >
                        > I know that Dan McHale makes custom packs that can fit the Expedition Cannister
                        horizontally in the pack and the pack comes in under 3 pounds. That is another option
                        but you have to get your order in very fast if you want it done for 2008.

                        > I'm anxious to find out which is going to work best. I'll be doing 2 day weekend hikes
                        discovering which option I like the best and will update the list with my findings.

                        > Drew <drew@...> wrote:
                        > I am set to thru hike in Aug, and was wondering the same thing. Right
                        > now my plan is to carry the same Bearikade, and use a Granite Gear
                        > Vapor Trail.
                        >
                        > Some specs can be found here
                        >
                        > Vapor Trail from Granite Gear
                        > <http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/vapor_trail/in\
                        > dex.html>
                        >
                        > I have both it and the Alpine Vapor -for use in the winter snowshoeing..
                        > So. I figure I might as well use what I have. After reading several
                        > reviews and trail summaries it appears many a thru hiker are using the
                        > Vapor Trail. My only real concern is how the bear can will fit/ride. I
                        > have not received my order as of yet.
                        >
                        > I also looked at a couple of others, but I am sure the list goes on and
                        > on. you may get soem ideas from the 2008 gear guide from Backpacker
                        > magazine.
                        >
                        > Nimbus Ozone from Granite Gear
                        > <http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/nimbus_ozone/i\
                        > ndex.html>
                        > Golite Pinnacle
                        > <http://www.golite.com/Product/proddetail.aspx?p=PA5252&s=1>
                        >
                        > Drew
                        >
                        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "hewhohikesalot" <hewhohikes@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I'm thinking of doing a ten day trip on the JMT and was wondering what
                        > > kind of backpack to get that would be big enough to contain a
                        > > expedition bearikade (14" long and 9" round). I'm looking for
                        > > something reasonably light and about 3000+ cubic inches in volume.
                        > Any
                        > > advice would be appreciated.
                        > > Thanks.

                      • Steve Schauer
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                          We used the Osprey Aether 70 (steve) and Ariel 65
                          Claire) for our thru-hike. The most comfortable pack
                          we've ever had!
                          Claire

                        • Patronio@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 15, 2008
                            I stand behind Osprey packs 100%. I do have an Aether 70 and 60 and are extremely comfortable. I highly recommend them.

                          • targetdoggmechanic
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 18, 2008
                              Ditto to that one. For the price they are one of the best packs I have
                              ever used. Gotta love the thermoformed belt that REI can custom fit to
                              your waist. Did the JMT last year and it performed flawlessly. Gonna
                              buy my fiancee one this year for her b-day.

                              Dogg

                              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@... wrote:

                              > I stand behind Osprey packs 100%. I do have an Aether 70 and 60 and
                              are extremely comfortable. I highly recommend them.

                            • Barbara Karagosian
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 4 4:56 PM
                                Hi Fred - How did you find the Virga? I have one, and wore it in the shower
                                as a test and got a wet patch on the front - maybe leaked thru or next to
                                the zipper. Did you have it in any downpours? How was the hood? Thanks in
                                advance - Barbara

                                Checked by AVG.
                                5:37 PM