Re: [John Muir Trail] Software for uploading waypoints and tracks to GPS devices

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2011
      Bruce:

      Having now used both, I find the ExpertGPS an improvement over EasyGPS, esp. when you don't have as good a set of downloadable waypoints as Halfmile's set.  You can open a free USGS topo map in ExpertGPS for anywhere in the US within ExpertGPS and then click on wherever you want to define a waypoint (e.g., at each turn in the trail or at the tops and bottoms of climbs).  Of course, this assumes that the USGS topo includes an indication of where the trail is.  (Trails re-routed since the last USGS update would be problematic)

      I should have provided a URL

      http://www.expertgps.com/

      You can use it free for 30 days, and then decide if you want to buy it

      John Ladd

    • LEBRUN
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2011
        John,

        I think I'll download the ExpertGPS and give it a try.

        On another note,  I am using a Molle Gen 4 frame with a Kelty Super Tioga Pack -- I can e-mail some picks if interested.

        Bruce

      • w.johnston@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 9, 2011
          Has anyone used TopoFusion? It makes great maps but have not tried downloading waypoints with it,