Backpack Advice

  • hewhohikesalot
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 2, 2008
      I'm thinking of doing a ten day trip on the JMT and was wondering what
      kind of backpack to get that would be big enough to contain a
      expedition bearikade (14" long and 9" round). I'm looking for
      something reasonably light and about 3000+ cubic inches in volume. Any
      advice would be appreciated.
      Thanks.
    • Drew
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 2, 2008
        I am set to thru hike in Aug, and was wondering the same thing. Right
        now my plan is to carry the same Bearikade, and use a Granite Gear
        Vapor Trail.

        Some specs can be found here

        Vapor Trail from Granite Gear
        <http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/vapor_trail/in\
        dex.html>

        I have both it and the Alpine Vapor -for use in the winter snowshoeing..
        So. I figure I might as well use what I have. After reading several
        reviews and trail summaries it appears many a thru hiker are using the
        Vapor Trail. My only real concern is how the bear can will fit/ride. I
        have not received my order as of yet.

        I also looked at a couple of others, but I am sure the list goes on and
        on. you may get soem ideas from the 2008 gear guide from Backpacker
        magazine.

        Nimbus Ozone from Granite Gear
        <http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/nimbus_ozone/i\
        ndex.html>
        Golite Pinnacle
        <http://www.golite.com/Product/proddetail.aspx?p=PA5252&s=1>

        Drew

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "hewhohikesalot" <hewhohikes@...>

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 2, 2008
          I have the Expedition cannister myself and will be on the JMT for 16-17 days this summer. I will be comparing the use of this cannister with a variety of pack options myself:

          1. with a Granite Gear Ozone (3 pounds)
          2. with a Granite Gear Vapor Trail (2 pounds)
          3. with a LuxuryLite Frame Backpack (weighs under 2 pounds)
          4. with a Osprey Aether 60 pack
          5. with a SixMoonDesigns's Starlight pack (weighs under 2 pounds)

          The only one of the five above that it fits horizontally is on the LuxuryLite pack, the others it has to stack vertically in the bag which is a bummer, as there is slack space around the cylinder and what do you stack alongside the cylinder as you kind of want the cylinder to be dead center in pack (centered left-to-right that is).

          I don't know at this point which one I'm going to like best with the cylinder.

          I know that Dan McHale makes custom packs that can fit the Expedition Cannister horizontally in the pack and the pack comes in under 3 pounds. That is another option but you have to get your order in very fast if you want it done for 2008.

          I'm anxious to find out which is going to work best. I'll be doing 2 day weekend hikes discovering which option I like the best and will update the list with my findings.

          wrote:

          > I'm thinking of doing a ten day trip on the JMT and was wondering what
          > kind of backpack to get that would be big enough to contain a
          > expedition bearikade (14" long and 9" round). I'm looking for
          > something reasonably light and about 3000+ cubic inches in volume.
          Any
          > advice would be appreciated.
          > Thanks.

        • Fred Sharples
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 2, 2008
            I used the Granite Gear Vapor Trail with the Expedition canister last year.
            The pack chafed a bit around the can but it was a super comfortable pack for
            me.
            I went 13 days without resupply solo. total trrip was 21 days.
            -quake
            fredsharples.com/jmt.html

            Orange Design Inc.
            Games - Tech - Art
            2601 Mission Street #800
            San Francisco, CA 94110
            415.643.4465 - Studio
            415.722.6442 - Mobile
            http://orangedesign.com

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 2, 2008
              wrote:

              > I'm thinking of doing a ten day trip on the JMT and was wondering
              what
              > kind of backpack to get that would be big enough to contain a
              > expedition bearikade (14" long and 9" round). I'm looking for
              > something reasonably light and about 3000+ cubic inches in volume.
              Any
              > advice would be appreciated.
              > Thanks.

              I used the same bear canister in 2006 on the JMT. My pack of choice is
              the ULA Circuit. As Roliegh mentioned the canister has to go in
              verticaly. I actualy prefer this method as the first things in the
              pack are my sleeping pad and bag. On to of these goes the bear
              canister. What I like about that is, I like to eat on the trail all day
              and this puts the lid of the canister right on top! Right at my
              fingertips. I never felt that it was unbalanced. I also love the
              waistbelt pockets on the ULA packs.
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 2, 2008
                Fred, can you please detail very specifically how you packed your backpack with the Expedition? I presume you had it positioned vertically (sitting at the bottom of the pack or if not, what was beneath it)? What did you have to the left and right side of the cannister in your bag? Was there anything on the pad-foam side of the pack (between it and the cannister)? Was there anything on the farthest-from-skin rear-fabric (between it and the cannister)? What was your base pack weight (total weight including everything but water and food that is inside the cannister or inside the pack but do include the weight of the cannister)? Thanks!

              • Fred Sharples
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 2, 2008
                  Yes, the canister will only fit vertically in that pack.
                  I had a sleeping bag underneath the canister.
                  I had various clothing on the sides and a plastic origami(flat) dinner bowl
                  on the rear outside top edge to keep it from chafing.
                  It wound up chafing some but I also had an ice axe because it was early
                  June..That caused most of the chafing against the canister.

                  You can check out a super detailed pack list with weights in oz here..
                  http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p4CfkufA0dTnkIUlma_JYVw

                  I thought it was a great setup and I would do it again with the same pack
                  and canister.
                  It's my favorite pack ever. It was probably the most popular pack on the PCT
                  last year.
                  Many people bought them after a few hundred miles of dealing with home made
                  and other packs.
                  (I'm not a rep of granite gear but I must sound like one ;))
                  As far as canisters go, you might be able to get away with their smaller
                  version for 10 days solo. That big one is big.

                  have a great trip.
                  -quake

                  On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:

                  > Fred, can you please detail very specifically how you packed your
                  > backpack with the Expedition? I presume you had it positioned vertically
                  > (sitting at the bottom of the pack or if not, what was beneath it)? What did
                  > you have to the left and right side of the cannister in your bag? Was there
                  > anything on the pad-foam side of the pack (between it and the cannister)?
                  > Was there anything on the farthest-from-skin rear-fabric (between it and the
                  > cannister)? What was your base pack weight (total weight including
                  > everything but water and food that is inside the cannister or inside the
                  > pack but do include the weight of the cannister)? Thanks!

                  Orange Design Inc.
                  Games - Tech - Art
                  2601 Mission Street #800
                  San Francisco, CA 94110
                  415.643.4465 - Studio
                  415.722.6442 - Mobile
                  http://orangedesign.com

                • dh5169
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 2, 2008
                    I can say from experience that the Expedition does not fit
                    horizontally in an Osprey Crescent 75. I traded it back (rental) for
                    2 weekenders - one for my pack and on for my wife's (Luna 70). I
                    didn't like the weight distribution in my pack of the fully loaded
                    expedition when positioning it vertically. So, I traded it back
                    (rental) for 2 weekenders - one for me and one for the wife!! (OK, so
                    I took the tent and some other items to make it a fair swap).

                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 2, 2008
                      Fred, your Waypoints Spreadsheet is fantastic.

                      Looks on the surface like you followed the 21 day plan of Cicerone.

                      What happened regarding dates of each campsight? After 6/14/2007, the next date is labeled "3". Then there is another date labeled "5 6". Care to elucidate?

                      Did you do the whole hike in one year or two years (split up to explain the date enumeration change)?

                      My only beaf with the Vapor Trail is the lack of stays but I figured out how to put stays in them making the pack about 2'10oz -- a little lighter than the 3lb Ozone. It definitely is a prime candidate for my hike.

                      Did you ever use the Ice Axe or if going in Late July thru mid August would you skip the Ice Axe? I saw you never used the crampons. I do have two hiking poles to help in snow, ice, etc.

                      Fred Sharples <fred@...> wrote: Yes, the canister will only fit vertically in that pack.
                      I had a sleeping bag underneath the canister.
                      I had various clothing on the sides and a plastic origami(flat) dinner bowl
                      on the rear outside top edge to keep it from chafing.
                      It wound up chafing some but I also had an ice axe because it was early
                      June..That caused most of the chafing against the canister.

                      You can check out a super detailed pack list with weights in oz here..
                      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p4CfkufA0dTnkIUlma_JYVw

                      I thought it was a great setup and I would do it again with the same pack
                      and canister.
                      It's my favorite pack ever. It was probably the most popular pack on the PCT
                      last year.
                      Many people bought them after a few hundred miles of dealing with home made
                      and other packs.
                      (I'm not a rep of granite gear but I must sound like one ;))
                      As far as canisters go, you might be able to get away with their smaller
                      version for 10 days solo. That big one is big.

                      have a great trip.
                      -quake

                      On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:

                      > Fred, can you please detail very specifically how you packed your
                      > backpack with the Expedition? I presume you had it positioned vertically
                      > (sitting at the bottom of the pack or if not, what was beneath it)? What did
                      > you have to the left and right side of the cannister in your bag? Was there
                      > anything on the pad-foam side of the pack (between it and the cannister)?
                      > Was there anything on the farthest-from-skin rear-fabric (between it and the
                      > cannister)? What was your base pack weight (total weight including
                      > everything but water and food that is inside the cannister or inside the
                      > pack but do include the weight of the cannister)? Thanks!

                      Orange Design Inc.
                      Games - Tech - Art
                      2601 Mission Street #800
                      San Francisco, CA 94110
                      415.643.4465 - Studio
                      415.722.6442 - Mobile
                      http://orangedesign.com

                    • Kevin Aston
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
                        I like it too Fred. Looks just like the one on my website at
                        http://kevinaston.com/JMTSpreadsheet.html

> [...]
                        >
                        > On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Fred, can you please detail very specifically how you packed your
                        > > backpack with the Expedition? I presume you had it positioned
                        vertically
                        > > (sitting at the bottom of the pack or if not, what was beneath
                        it)? What did
                        > > you have to the left and right side of the cannister in your bag?
                        Was there
                        > > anything on the pad-foam side of the pack (between it and the
                        cannister)?
                        > > Was there anything on the farthest-from-skin rear-fabric (between
                        it and the
                        > > cannister)? What was your base pack weight (total weight including
                        > > everything but water and food that is inside the cannister or
                        inside the
                        > > pack but do include the weight of the cannister)? Thanks!

                      • Fred Sharples
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
                          Yes, it's true, those are a copy of Kevin's waypoints!

                          I edited Kevin's waypoints and added them to a google spreadsheet as a tab
                          on the far edge of the doc. I didn't mean to 'publish' them as mine. (I
                          didn't know they were going up in this doc) So now I see it is a reference
                          without credit and for that I apologize to Kevin.

                          The Google Earth file that I created and edited using Kevin's waypoints is
                          on Kevin's site and mine too.
                          http://kevinaston.com/files/JMT.KMZ

                          To everyone on this list: Kevin has been a huge help to all of us on the
                          list and by no means do I want to take credit for all the hard work Kevin
                          has done putting the waypoints together.

                          Kevin has advised me with some of the planning of my trip and I really
                          treasure his thoughtful posts here on the list and his commitment to the
                          trail.

                          Also, please don't depend on my version of the waypoints or my Google Earth
                          file for on-the-trail navigation. I edited them to work with Google Earth
                          and not for use on the ground.

                          PS Kevin, I put a credit and disclaimer up there.
                          Let me me know if that's ok.
                          Your friend,
                          Fred(Quake)

                          Orange Design Inc.
                          Games - Tech - Art
                          2601 Mission Street #800
                          San Francisco, CA 94110
                          415.643.4465 - Studio
                          415.722.6442 - Mobile
                          http://orangedesign.com

                        • Kevin Aston
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 5, 2008
                            No Problem Fred. I did not create the list of places, distances, and
                            altitudes, I borrowed them from somebody's log about 3 1/2 years ago,
                            I don't know where I got them. I came up with the Waypoints using
                            Garmin's MapSource. As I was following them on the real trail, I found
                            that some were right on, others were a hundred yards off. I am sure
                            some of that was the accuracy of my Rino 530, but much of it was my
                            looks good placement of the waypoints, and the actual accuracy of the
                            software. MapSource had several errors I found as I hiked. My weakness
                            in choosing equipment is my desire for electronic gadgets on the
                            trip. Between camera, lens, hand-held radio, GPS, electronic water
                            purifier, batteries, and cel-phone to call from the top of Whitney I
                            load myself down an extra couple of pounds. However my water Purifier
                            the MSR MIOX Water Purifier, weighs a lot less than a pump, so that is
                            not really an extra.

                            Planning is almost as fun as hiking.
                            Kevin Aston

                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Sharples" <fred@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > > > June..That caused most of the chafing against the canister.
                            > > >
                            > > > You can check out a super detailed pack list with weights in oz
                            here..
                            > > > http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p4CfkufA0dTnkIUlma_JYVw
                            > > >
                            > > > I thought it was a great setup and I would do it again with the
                            > > same pack
                            > > > and canister.
                            > > > It's my favorite pack ever. It was probably the most popular pack
                            > > on the PCT
                            > > > last year.
                            > > > Many people bought them after a few hundred miles of dealing with
                            > > home made
                            > > > and other packs.
                            > > > (I'm not a rep of granite gear but I must sound like one ;))
                            > > > As far as canisters go, you might be able to get away with their
                            > > smaller
                            > > > version for 10 days solo. That big one is big.

                          • beemancron
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 5, 2008
                              My favorite packs are made by Gossamer Gear. Three years ago, I used a Mariposa Plus
                              and an Expedition on a 9 day scout trip. The challenge was not so much as how the
                              Expedition fit in the pack (Vertical) but how to pack 9 days of food into 900 cuin. Teaching
                              this skill to scouts was also a challenge. :)

                              On my JMT thru hike this year, leaving July 13, I am using the same Mariposa Plus and a
                              Bearvault 400. I have a choice of strapping it on top of the pack or storing vertical inside
                              the pack. With the options of multiple resupply locations: Reds, VVR, Muir Ranch, I just
                              don't see a need to carry 9 days of food in 900 cuins. Too much weight!

                              My newly adopted thru-hiker slogan: "When the weight goes down, the fun goes up" :)

                              Beeman

                              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "hewhohikesalot" <hewhohikes@...> wrote:

                              > I'm thinking of doing a ten day trip on the JMT and was wondering what
                              > kind of backpack to get that would be big enough to contain a
                              > expedition bearikade (14" long and 9" round). I'm looking for
                              > something reasonably light and about 3000+ cubic inches in volume. Any
                              > advice would be appreciated.
                              > Thanks.

                            • rambler4466
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                                I use the pack made by Moonbow Gear. This pack will easily accomadte a Bear Canister
                                either horizontally or vertically. I carry my gear in three nylon dry bags from Camp Inn.
                                Two are 10 L bags for clothes, gear, and sleeping bag. One is 19L for food. The food bag
                                will be replaced by the canister when hiking the JMT. If two bags are equal in weight, I
                                pack two vertically with the sleeping bag horizontal across the top.
                                Otherwise I carry all three horizontal with the heaviest bag (canister) (food) in the middle.
                                My sleeping bag (homemade quilt) is down, so I like it on top, not on the bottom, so it will
                                not be crushed or compacted. The pack has a mesh pocket on the outside for a tarp,
                                raingear and misc.

> [...]
                                > have not received my order as of yet.
                                >
                                > I also looked at a couple of others, but I am sure the list goes on and
                                > on. you may get soem ideas from the 2008 gear guide from Backpacker
                                > magazine.
                                >
                                > Nimbus Ozone from Granite Gear
                                > <http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/nimbus_ozone/i\
                                > ndex.html>
                                > Golite Pinnacle
                                > <http://www.golite.com/Product/proddetail.aspx?p=PA5252&s=1>
                                >
                                > Drew
                                >
                                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "hewhohikesalot" <hewhohikes@>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I'm thinking of doing a ten day trip on the JMT and was wondering what
                                > > kind of backpack to get that would be big enough to contain a
                                > > expedition bearikade (14" long and 9" round). I'm looking for
                                > > something reasonably light and about 3000+ cubic inches in volume.

                              • Steve Schauer
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
                                  We used the Osprey Aether 70 (steve) and Ariel 65
                                  Claire) for our thru-hike. The most comfortable pack
                                  we've ever had!
                                  Claire

                                • Patronio@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 15, 2008
                                    I stand behind Osprey packs 100%. I do have an Aether 70 and 60 and are extremely comfortable. I highly recommend them.

                                  • targetdoggmechanic
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 18, 2008
                                      Ditto to that one. For the price they are one of the best packs I have
                                      ever used. Gotta love the thermoformed belt that REI can custom fit to
                                      your waist. Did the JMT last year and it performed flawlessly. Gonna
                                      buy my fiancee one this year for her b-day.

                                      Dogg

                                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@... wrote:

                                      > I stand behind Osprey packs 100%. I do have an Aether 70 and 60 and
                                      are extremely comfortable. I highly recommend them.

                                    • Barbara Karagosian
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 4 4:56 PM
                                        Hi Fred - How did you find the Virga? I have one, and wore it in the shower
                                        as a test and got a wet patch on the front - maybe leaked thru or next to
                                        the zipper. Did you have it in any downpours? How was the hood? Thanks in
                                        advance - Barbara

                                        Checked by AVG.
                                        5:37 PM