Memories Day 13

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 473 , Aug 13, 1999
      Day 12 Aug 13, 1982<br>Friday the 13th. We slept
      in this morning but I woke up early enough to see
      our company hobble off for South Lk. He was walking
      with a stiff knee just like Chester of the old
      Gunsmoke. I often wonder if he made it all the way that
      day. Moved slowly because of a planned easy day. We
      started at 10:25 and stopped to check out the campsite my
      wife and I had used at Colby Mdw in '68. A bunch of ou
      would use that site again in '86 but it was being
      destroyed in '91. Spotted a small Garter Snake in a pond
      shortly before Evolution Lk. The trail has been rerouted
      since '68 to stay out of the meadow leading up to
      Evolution Lk. We soon came to Evolution Lk. and stopped for
      lunch and a while. Checked out the campsite my wife and
      I had used, 14 years changes things a bit. Found
      another Garter Snake. When my wife and I were here last I
      noticed a commotion in a small pond followed by a Garter
      Snake sliding out with a polliwog in its mouth. Went to
      the outlet of the lake for that fine view back down
      the valley. We continued strolling on up to Muir
      Pass. The stream is running high and crossing at the
      usual place before Sapphire Lk. did not look feasible.
      We pushed upstream until we found a rock we could
      jump from to clear the creek. I went first and only
      got damp but Owen landed in the water and got his
      feet wet. We had heard wild stories of massive amounts
      of snow near the pass but there was not too much. We
      intended to stay at the Muir Hut if possible. When we
      reached Wanda Lk. we looked around a bit and after
      talking with someone coming down decided we could stay at
      the hut. We started on up but soon the trail
      disappeared in the snow. We then struck up the middle of the
      approach missing as much snow as possible. About halfway
      we caught up to a group of high school students from
      San Diego and passed them, inviting them to a night
      on the pass. They were doing North Lk. to South Lk.
      and one of them was blind. He had a belt to which was
      attached a rope. One of the adults held the end of the
      rope and gave him verbal instructions on where to
      move. I soon arrived at the pass followed by Owenin a
      few minutes. The high school group was impressed,
      especially because we both passed them and did not stop
      until we reached the top. The group joined us in the
      Muir Hut and I regaled them with the roar of my Svea.
      They had butane stoves. After dinner they took baking
      bags, put some dirt and rocks in them followed by a
      candle. With two or three of these flickering lanterns we
      soon settled into a ghost story marathon. All the
      classics were told; hook on the car door, fingernails on
      the roof and so on. Ten year old Owen lapped it up.
      We went to bed, I think with 13 people inside, on
      the benches on the floor on the propped up table. I
      slept on the rock bench on the northd side and was
      quite comfortable. I have used the same bed twice
      since. I got up to visit nature in the night and thought
      how calm it was. However, the wind soon gusted and I
      retreated to my bag again. Of those sleeping outside, one
      said they had to remove the tent fly so that they
      could sleep in silence. This was a golden day. I had
      thought about staying for a couple of days and greeting
      bypassers from the doorstep of MY home. Apparently someone
      did exactly that a few days earlier. We also heard
      that it was quite crowded on the night of Aug 6. While
      we were getting sprinkles at Red Cones it was
      pouring here. 10.3 pleasent miles today. Back in familiar
      territory.
    • tiocampo
      Message 473 of 473 , Feb 24, 2002