Wood Stoves on the JMT

  • jim.ennis
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2008
      Hi Everyone:
      I'm planning a thru-hike of the JMT next year and was wondering if wood
      stoves are allowed on the trail. I can also use Esbit tabs with it if
      necessary.
      Thank you,
      Jim
    • Fred Sharples
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2008
        There are only a few scattered parts of the trail where wood fires are
        allowed. Basically they draw a line at a certain elevation, (around 10k ft.)
        depending on the park. That line is usually well below the trail. So simply,
        they are not allowed by the authorities.

        --
        Orange Design Inc.
        Games - Tech - Art

      • Derek Peters
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2008
          Jim,
          I think this is more dependent on what Wildness or Forest you are in. I hiked in the Inyo and Sequoia Forests last year and with the exception of a few areas. "Open Fires" were prohibited. Alcohol and wood burning stoves have been classed as open fires like a campfire in many areas. I was told this by the ranger, but I haven't seen it written in their regulations. Seems the criteria is the ability to spill fuel and start and uncontrolled fire. I'd check the web for the area you are hiking. Be safe and check the regs for Sequoia, Kings Canyon, and Yosemite. I carry and pepsi stove running alcohol, but my son has my vintage 78' MSR blow torch, so I'm covered when we get above 10K ft. and any special use places.

          I always check with the rangers when getting my permits and follow the rules. They change, so I confirm what I read off the web! Write down the name of the ranger too. About 10 years ago, I had a ranger try and ticket me for a campfire and I mentioned I specifically spoken to "Joe at office X about this location" and he let me off when I promised to erase any evidence the fire ever existed. Took me an hour to clear all the burn wood and ash, but I didn't mind. I teach "Leave no Trace" ethics so I'm on the side of the ranger most times.

          I've always found rangers to be a pretty good bunch when you are following the rules.... or at least trying to!

          Derek