Re: [John Muir Trail] Longest Stretch without Water on JMT

  • onkelb0b
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 29 10:23 AM
      > In addition to Deer Creek, also keep in mind Seldon Pass down to
      > Paiute creek. (if you bypass Muir Trail Ranch)
      > This stretch came to mind also for me. There is a small side-trail
      > down to a creek just before the turnoff for MTR going Sobo. There is
      > also a very small seasonal creek a little further on. It still should
      > be running in July. There is a major creek that parallels the lower
      > trail but it is a lot of work to get to it and back.

      I fill the canteens at Senger Creek. About a 3 hour hike from Senger
      to the bridge over Paiute, the trail is hot and dusty in the
      afternoon. Just as the trail hits the top of the switchbacks there's a
      trail to a creek, about 1 hour from Senger Creek. If I was walking up
      (nobo) then that water might be needed.
      As for Duck-Deer Creek, it's a 3/4 hour on another hot and dusty trail.

      Love the stories about weather breaking and turning a miserable day
      into one of the best. I took a detour off the JMT (sobo) to Fish Creek
      (avoiding that Duck-Deer-Virginia slog) because of impending weather
      event. With the all night rain, the hot springs were a much better
      campsite then a high mountain lake.

      Evolution Creek was the only wet crossing after a dry season.
    • clairehiker
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2008
        -Reading these posts about water reminds me of our trip last year. I can't tell you how
        many people told us there was NO WATER at Sunrise Camp. ( And that you will have to go
        to Cathedral Lake before you find ANY.) There was ample water along the way, and a
        pretty little stream going right through the backpacker's camp at Sunrise. And it was
        August, after a low snowfall year. We met some backpacker's who told us, NO WATER, and
        they must have seen a little stream right next to the trail. Now, maybe they were looking
        for huge rivers to drink out of, but if you have a stream and a water filter, no worries! I
        think the only time we were thirsty is when we climbed Half Dome, because we only
        brought 1.5 liter each from our camp near the junction of JMT and Cloud's Rest trail.
        -- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, yountvlmom@... wrote:

        > Those weather changes make the Sierras so beautiful. We hiked the High
        > Sierra Trail last August and one half hour after laying on a beach at a mountain
        > lake we were in a hail storm!
        >
        > Darlene
        >

        > In a message dated 3/27/2008 11:09:34 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        > dwmcguire@... writes:
        >
        > I had the exact same experience hiking that section of trail in 2005. It was
        > a cold, rainy morning and my mood was matching the general gloom. The
        > temperature was hovering right above freezing and I had just convinced
        > myself that it was going to start snowing soon. Suddenly, the clouds started
        > breaking up, Cascade Valley kept peeking out, and sun started streaming in.
        > In the course of ½ an hour I went from being a damp, dumpy plodder through
        > the woods to an elated, joyful thru hiker taking a stunning view…
        >

        > Gotta love those weather changes!
        >

        > Scooter

        action=detail&PostNum=21994&Thread=1&roomID=31&entryID=78994
        > > > Lisa
        > > >

        > > > Plenty of water
        > > > The longest stretch without a reliable water source is roughly 5ish
        > > miles
        > > > between Deer Creek and Duck Creek. Otherwise, there will be plenty
        > > of water
        > > > sources along the trail.
        > > > 8/14/07 5:01 PM
        > > > report to moderator